IGNORED

Metzeler C and O spec

ToddM

I am looking to replace my tires and the supplier I usually use for tires states they do not carry the "C" spec 180 55ZR17 ROADTECTM Z8 INTERACT tire. They have the "K", "M" and "O". The C"" spec is what is on my bike (2017 R1200RT) now and what is spec'ed in the Metzeler Technical handbook.

The handbook states the "C" spec is a special version for the R1200R or R1200RT, "K" spec has stiffer construction and is recommended for the K1300GT and the "O" spec simply states that it is 2 ply.

To make things more confusing the fitment page shows the "O" spec "fits" the R1200RT. Does this simply mean it will fit on the rim or it is ok for the bike. My bike handles awesome so I don't want to screw that up.

6899.thumb.jpg.3caebf4ccec9fc8bd4ff999bf02ab992.jpg

I am looking to replace my tires and the supplier I usually use for tires states they do not carry the "C" spec 180 55ZR17 ROADTECTM Z8 INTERACT tire. They have the "K", "M" and "O". The C"" spec is what is on my bike (2017 R1200RT) now and what is spec'ed in the Metzeler Technical handbook.

The handbook states the "C" spec is a special version for the R1200R or R1200RT, "K" spec has stiffer construction and is recommended for the K1300GT and the "O" spec simply states that it is 2 ply.

To make things more confusing the fitment page shows the "O" spec "fits" the R1200RT. Does this simply mean it will fit on the rim or it is ok for the bike. My bike handles awesome so I don't want to screw that up.

Morning ToddM

I have run into this before (not on the Metzler tire though).

What I did was call the tire manufacturer & talk directly with a tire engineer, all questions answered with facts & specific reasons.

John Bentall

I would be going for the first of the 6 allowable configurations in your attachment - namely Roadtec 01 front and rear (HWM on the rear). They are great tires and I have had them on the RT before now.

Metzeler spent millions of $ replacing the Z8 with the 01, so why not take advantage?

Regards,

John

Edited by John Bentall
alegerlotz
The 01 hwm's are great tires. I'm on my 3rd set.

Mine are wearing quickly, but I think its my riding style and type (lots of twisty canyons). I still like them better than Michelin PR4GTs.

Thanks.

Yes I am going to contact Metzeler to get the lowdown. I thought I would ask here first.

I have seen others on this forum saying the 01 are very good tires, but that they produce a much louder road noise.

Steve (LittleBriar) how do you find the 01 s for wear?

I repeat that I am very happy with the Z8s but I can change as long as I get the right spec for the RT.

Todd

The 01 hwm's are great tires. I'm on my 3rd set.

Steve (LittleBriar) how do you find the 01s for wear?

I don't remember if my new '16 RT came with Z1, or 01, but they had the best feel. I felt stuck to the road, but they were noisy. So I bailed, and bought Pirelli Angel GT's. They are quiet, but just don't have that 'feel'. The Pirelli's are more light on their feet. You do get used to what you are riding.

My 2018 RT-LC came with Metzler Z-8 tires. The front was a "M" and the rear was a "C".

These tires where great, but I had to replace them at 5,900 miles (rear tire showed cords).

I replaced them with a set of Pirelli Angel GT "A" front and rear.

The Pirelli's where a set of tires I had originally planned to use on my 2007 RT.

After a few local rides and START 2018 (3,300 miles), the front tire has no threads left on the sides and needs to be replaced. The rear looks fine.

I ordered a set of Metzler Z-8 from RockyMountainATV.com. I could not find a "C" version of the rear tire, so I ordered a "M" for the front and rear.

They are not installed yet, but I expect them to perform as the OEM tires did. The rear may last a little longer then the original rear, as it is a dual compound.

The "C" version has either been dropped by Metzler or is only being built for BMW as OEM tire. It is not listed on any of there websites, German or English.

I did use the RoadTec )! on the 2007 RT and they where great tires but only lasted around 4K miles. But that is me. LOL

Just my 2.5 cents worth.

LittleBriar

8500 miles on the rear for the last set. The front gets a little noisy after a couple thousand miles but it's not too bad. I wear ear plugs so I don't hear them anyway.

Bernie, It is impressive that you are able to trash a Pirelli Angel GT in 3300 miles, and in Florida! I consistently got 9-10k out of the Pirelli on my RT and Triumph Trophy

8500 miles on the rear for the last set. The front gets a little noisy after a couple thousand miles but it's not too bad. I wear ear plugs so I don't hear them anyway.

Thanks Steve. I either wear earplugs or noise cancelling earbuds if I want to listen to music when on a boring highway.

Bernie, It is impressive that you are able to trash a Pirelli Angel GT in 3300 miles, and in Florida! I consistently got 9-10k out of the Pirelli on my RT and Triumph Trophy

What's impressive is that the tires LASTED that long on Bernie's bike. :bike::revit::burnout:

My 2018 RT-LC came with Metzler Z-8 tires. The front was a "M" and the rear was a "C".

These tires where great, but I had to replace them at 5,900 miles (rear tire showed cords).

I replaced them with a set of Pirelli Angel GT "A" front and rear.

The Pirelli's where a set of tires I had originally planned to use on my 2007 RT.

After a few local rides and START 2018 (3,300 miles), the front tire has no threads left on the sides and needs to be replaced. The rear looks fine.

I ordered a set of Metzler Z-8 from RockyMountainATV.com. I could not find a "C" version of the rear tire, so I ordered a "M" for the front and rear.

They are not installed yet, but I expect them to perform as the OEM tires did. The rear may last a little longer then the original rear, as it is a dual compound.

The "C" version has either been dropped by Metzler or is only being built for BMW as OEM tire. It is not listed on any of there websites, German or English.

I did use the RoadTec )! on the 2007 RT and they where great tires but only lasted around 4K miles. But that is me. LOL

Just my 2.5 cents worth.

Thanks Bernie;

My bike came with the same (M front C rear).

I have not heard back from Metzeler, but their technical handbook specs either the O or the C for the rear for the Z8. The C spec appears to be available in Europe but not North America as I found them on a UK site.

In over 300k miles on RT's I never gotten more then 8,000 miles out of any brand or model tire, in Florida or anywhere else in the South East.

I rode 2,100 miles during START 2018 with these Pirelli's and most of those miles where on back roads in the Blue Ridge Mountain area. The rear tire is probably good for another 2k.

Thanks Indy Dave! Lol