IGNORED

G 310 GS - What's the verdict?

Gregg

I'm an RT guy but looking for a much smaller commute bike. I live on the side of a mountain. Road conditions are poor, curvy, bumpy and then eventually smooth out.

I'm considering the G310 GS. Does anyone have experience with the new little GS? Thanks!

OldBMWMaster

I got a chance to ride it in the NC mountains. Comfortable, well sorted, handles great. You think it is a slug until it hits 4000 RPM.

OldBMWMaster

It was twisty pavement, dirt roads and a few trails. I might get one as soon as a few are in the used bike market.

Thanks for the 411. I'm trying to get a demo from my dealer. I'm a big guy 250lbs. so I'm worried about the smaller size bike. It'll be between the 310GS and a bigger GS.

I sold mine after 180 miles. Did not fit me at all. Worst problem is the SUPER soft suspension. Especially the front. I'm about 215. When I would come up to a stop it used up all but about 1" of front travel. Figure you would need way stiffer front springs and maybe a rear shock. I felt cramped between the seat tip up at the passenger and the tank. Very uncomfortable due to seat height and foot peg location. Also when I stopped, pegs poked me in the calves. Annoying. A lady rode it and said she was very uncomfortable as she was not petite. She wanted it bad but it was not to be. I took a good loss getting rid of it. I thought it would be perfect for what we wanted. Carry on back of rv, tubeless tires, and more power tnen my CRF250l. Actually my Honda was way more comfortable for me. Good luck, it may fit you different. Motor was smooth and o k. Oh, after riding for about 60 years and having waaay too many bikes, this had the softest front end of anything I had ever had. I don't know what they were thinkin. I decided I was not going to waste a ton of money trying to get it to fit me. Needed taller seat, bar risers and a longer shift lever. And with taller seat, I would have to lower the bike a little so I could still touch down. Oh well. Should have kept the little Honda but as we called it, "Slo Red"

If you want a bigger bike, you should come look at my 1200 GS, 2017, I am selling as I am quitting riding street. And, you are close.

Doug -

I really appreciate the input. Sorry you had to let it go so quickly. I have some of the same fears. You might have just saved me some $$$. I have an '14 R1200RT. I'm looking for something smaller (yet still beefy enough for a big boy) to commute to work. I thought the G 310 GS or the 700 GS might be the ticket. Hmmm...

Did test ride the 310 R and GS at a BMW Demo Day and would have to agree it would be too soft and cramped at your size (I'm 5'8” and 145) but if you're facing a really hairy commute with lots of lane splitting opportunities (based on your location that's a possibility but don't know the distances involved) it may fill the bill. Little buzzy at full song but surprisingly quick. Sure made my WR feel dated on the road anyway.

Yep! I'm worried that I may feel cramped. Really appreciate you sharing your experience. Interesting that you felt the same soft front end suspension. I wonder what's up with that? I'm thinking a little bigger might be better. Trying to get a demo but dealers don't have any 310 gs demo bikes yet. Inventory is hard to get. Word is the bikes are flying out the doors (at least according to the dealers) Lol!

Well, the bike is not little. It looked pretty large even next to my 1200. Not totally sure what my problem really was, but the fore/apt peg position related to the seat position seemed to be the problem. I wanted to like it as it met my needs, but? As I said above, the tall seat might have helped and bar risers. Another buyer wanted to ride it to Alaska with some friends on 1200's. One worked for BMW and had riddenn the 310's. He told him not to buy it, as he would not be able to keep up with them running 75 plus all day.

Well...I pulled the trigger. Bought a 2018 G310GS and road it home (180miles). It's a "thumper". I agree front end is really too soft for a me (245lbs.) I'll need to address that soon. Motor worked well but I wouldn't want to ride too much more on the highway. I'm anxious to see how it performs on my mountain road commute to work this week.

RandyShields

Have fun with it. My MCN came yesterday and they did a little comparo with a Royal Enfield Himalayan. Not a very even match, though; the 310GS got very high marks. They noted it was not too small for one of the taller test riders, but they didn't disclose his weight. They liked the suspension and handling, but said it was not so good off-road.

I'm thinkin MCN has never ridden a real bike. Any bike that with a 200 lb rider, that uses almost all the travel just coming to a normal stop, is not right or good off-road. Sad :P Probably the biggest reason I got rid of mine at 180 miles. I'm seeing a couple more early sales as some folks do not want to spend big bucks making it good off road. Mine was too soft on-road.