IGNORED

Dreaded brake failure light!

Ehughesrfd

Ehughesrfd

I've never had a single problem with the brakes on my 2002 r1150rt until now. Sent it to the dealer about a months ago and had the whole system flushed. Ridden probably 150 miles since. Today I stopped hard at slow speed and the brake failure light came on. Turned off the bike and restarted and everything went back to normal. However, every time I stop hard it comes back. Any idea what could be causing it!? Hoping I'm not screwed

dirtrider
I've never had a single problem with the brakes on my 2002 r1150rt until now. Sent it to the dealer about a months ago and had the whole system flushed. Ridden probably 150 miles since. Today I stopped hard at slow speed and the brake failure light came on. Turned off the bike and restarted and everything went back to normal. However, every time I stop hard it comes back. Any idea what could be causing it!? Hoping I'm not screwed

Evening Ehughesrfd

Tell us more about the dash light(s). What light or lights are on & are they flashing. If a light is flashing then how fast is it flashing?

Do you have good power braking even with the dash light ON? Or do you lose the power assist?

We need lots more info to be of much help over the internet.

Might be as simple as a rear tail light bulb acting up but we can't tell without more info.

Are you getting flashing lights or steady lights? The pattern of the flashing is a clue to what the problem might be. Without knowing the pattern of the lights I would guess that it may be low on fluid in the under the tank servo. Hitting the brakes hard could disturb the fluid level float if it is near low level.

Ehughesrfd

Thanks for the quick responses! Didn't realize there's so much to it lol. Everything's fine until I stop hard, then Brake failure light is flashing fast, triangle is on steady. Servos sound like they're running constantly after it happens. Brakes feel very stiff if I stop hard. Brake light functioning properly. Without bike running, brakes aren't able to stop the bike now

Edited by Ehughesrfd
dirtrider
Thanks for the quick responses! Didn't realize there's so much to it lol. Everything's fine until I stop hard, then Brake failure light is flashing fast, triangle is on steady. Servos sound like they're running constantly after it happens. Brakes feel very stiff if I stop hard. Brake light functioning properly. Without bike running, brakes aren't able to stop the bike now

Evening Ehughesrfd

That tells us something but unfortunately doesn't tell us exactly what the problem is.

At least it doesn't appear to be a low fluid level in the ABS controller as that would be the general warning light (yellow one) & brake warning light (red one) flashing alternately.

With your general (yellow) light on solid & brake warning (red) flashing fast about all that tells us is that one or more brake circuits is in residual (non powered) braking function.

There could be a number of things causing the lack of braking on one brake circuit but without a GS-911 or dealer computer there is no way to know what is actually causing the issue. (an educated guess would be an internal controller pressure switch & as of now those are not available to purchase).

But this is only a guess from afar based on past braking issues that I have diagnosed so you really need to get some sort of testing equipment on that braking system to tell more precisely what you are dealing with.

I've got a GS911 that I could bring to you if you are anywhere near Harford County Maryland. I'm retired and need a reason to ride somewhere.

Ehughesrfd

Not that I think it'll help much with diagnosis, but a little update. Took it for a ride around the neighborhood, now the lights come on as soon as I start the bike and have the triangle on solid and the brake failure light flashing fast. Used to only be after a quick stop. Now sometimes the brakes grab, sometimes there's nothing. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Its only been 200 miles since the dealer flushed the brakes. Waiting to hear back from them but I'm hoping it's something they messed up, definetly not holding my breath though, they're normally really good.

dirtrider
Not that I think it'll help much with diagnosis, but a little update. Took it for a ride around the neighborhood, now the lights come on as soon as I start the bike and have the triangle on solid and the brake failure light flashing fast. Used to only be after a quick stop. Now sometimes the brakes grab, sometimes there's nothing. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Its only been 200 miles since the dealer flushed the brakes. Waiting to hear back from them but I'm hoping it's something they messed up, definetly not holding my breath though, they're normally really good.

Evening Ehughesrfd

That m-i-g-h-t point us somewhere & might not.

It does point us at something else to check.

Make sure that both front brake lever & rear brake pedal are FULLY retuning to their resting stops. If there is a stone caught in the rear brake pedal linkage or the up-stop area then it could be keeping the rear brake switch energized.

Same with the front brake lever, make sure the lever is fully returning & clicking the brake switch off.

Ehughesrfd

Just took a look, both seem to be returning and they pitch operate the rear light properly. I did notice however, that with the key on, the front brake will not run the pump/servos. Once I hit the rear, they run constantly even after letting off the brake

dirtrider
Just took a look, both seem to be returning and they pitch operate the rear light properly. I did notice however, that with the key on, the front brake will not run the pump/servos. Once I hit the rear, they run constantly even after letting off the brake

Evening Ehughesrfd

Well, if the rear brake pedal switch is operating properly (is normally closed with pedal up & goes open with pedal pushed) then we are back to the internal ABS controller pressure switch.

Ehughesrfd

Damn lol, thanks for the suggestions though! Anyone ever heard of the possibility of air getting trapped in solenoids or anything? I know I'm grasping for straws at this point, but if the pump is bad the bikes getting parted out. Strange that I happened right after it was flushed. Bike only has 15k

..... ............. ................... .............. ........................ ......................... .................. .............. .................... but if the pump is bad the bikes getting parted out. ......................... Bike only has 15k

Welcome to BMWST.

If pump is bad: there is a way to remove all that and convert to conventional brakes (and without ABS).

But someone else beside me will have to describe that to you.

If do part out the bike: You should know that a very saught out thing for an '02 1150 is the transmission (and clutch pack), if no abnormal wear on xmission input shaft and clutch plate hub. IS a demand for those from folks whos have had theirs fail, like mine did (42k).

When I was looking for such, I found I was in competition with folks that were buying them up just to have on hand for when they might need one later.

If you want to know what that wear looks like, I (and many others) can provide you a photo.

Or maybe you know all this.

Edited by Redman
dirtrider
Damn lol, thanks for the suggestions though! Anyone ever heard of the possibility of air getting trapped in solenoids or anything? I know I'm grasping for straws at this point, but if the pump is bad the bikes getting parted out. Strange that I happened right after it was flushed. Bike only has 15k

Afternoon Ehughesrfd

If your ABS pump is the problem (a dealer computer or GS-911 could confirm this) then, as mentioned, there is the option of removing the ABS system.

You then end up with good working, good feeling conventional brakes, only without power assist & without ABS function.

Unfortunately, you probably won't find a dealer or shop that will remove the ABS system due to liability reasons.

It isn't extremely difficult to remove the ABS system & replumb the brake hydraulics then re-wire the brake switch's & brake/tail lights but it does require a fair amount of mechanical ability.

You can also try calling Module Masters Phone 208- 892-0764 as they seem to be getting close to repairing the BMW I-ABS controller (they couldn't source the internal pressure switches).

BUT!-- you really need to get the bike on a dealer computer or GS-911 to grab the failure codes so you have a direction to follow.

Yeeha! Stephen

Double check that brake light bulb. If it's bad your tail light bulb will be your brake light. Make sure they both are good and seated properly. A loose bulb will give you those fits too!

dirtrider

Double check that brake light bulb. If it's bad your tail light bulb will be your brake light. Make sure they both are good and seated properly. A loose bulb will give you those fits too!

Morning Yeeha! Stephen

A loose rear light bulb would be nice & easy but unfortunately a rear bulb failure will not cause servo issues or put the brake-failure dash light on. A bad of loose rear bulb will only put the General warning light on but the brake/ABS light will stay off & the brakes will fumnction normally.

• 2 weeks later...
Ehughesrfd

Update for anyone interested. Dealer confirmed the abs unit is shot. A little suspect because they just serviced it, but I can't prove anything. Looks like it's time to shop for a new bike. Hate to do it but I think I have to go Japanese this time

Edited by Ehughesrfd