IGNORED

2018 Weaverville RideOut (NorCal) CHECK IN

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

Juanita and I made it back home at 3:15pm. It was a great weekend of riding. The weather cooperated offering mostly cool temps. Wonderful people to hang out with and ride. I can not check off the Somoa Cookhouse off my bucket list. I hope everyone gets home safe and I'm happy to report that Larry Bump's Ducati(bent wheel) is safely on a Mikko's trailer. Maybe we can nickname his bike the rock crusher. Cheers

In just now. Detoured to do some yard work.

Yep. Rock Crusher may work. Maybe Red Rock Crusher... I guess flat tires weren't enough for Larry. He's graduated to bending rims. Let's hope forks aren't next...😳 Thanks to Camille and Mikko for helping Larry out. And did I tell you how good the “smoked goldfish” were...?

Great ride, great folks. Much fun had by all.

See you all on the “next” one.

MB>

Edited by mbelectric
CoarsegoldKid

I especially liked the Single Barrel Barrel Proof Jack Daniels that Mikko shared. Now I must get some. Bill Walker brought two varieties of Scotch. I enjoyed the flavor of one. I wasn't fond of the peaty one.

Edited by CoarsegoldKid

Sharon and I got in about 4, after a couple of photo stops. The riding was spectacular, the company was amazing, and smoked goldfish for the win. Bill brought Bushmills Blended Irish Whisky, which was super smooth and slightly sweet. I really liked it. And the other he brought was a Talisker, but I didn't catch which variety. The Talisker was the peaty one. Somehow I missed Mikko's.

Dana and I are in petaluma after a gorgeous 299 blast and breakfast at Samoa Cookhouse. We detoured off 101 through the avenue of the giants on the way home. Also found a great coffee stop on 299 just 20 minutes west of weaverville called Straw House. A bird nerds' paradise. Baldies all over the place. Thanks all, really enjoyed seeing everyone and having repeated chinese food with you. Thanks BillW for the scotch samplin'.

Wonderful ride home, As I was coming into 96 from the 299 3 Staters hove into view behind a wrecker that was full of dead car, As I tiptoed by I hoped there wasn't a forth ahead. This was a great weekend. Meeting Dana was some sweet icing. Patty is a great hostess, the riders themselves were well behaved.

Edited by Tank

In at 19:30 on Monday in PG to visit brother. Thanks to Seb for putting this together, and to Cornelis for letting me tag along for 5 days on some awesome roads.

I had been taking some time lapse footage at every 5 sec., for much of the past week and ended up with almost 10k of them. I'd better get busy

It was a pleasure seeing all of the regulars again and meeting the new ones.

Bill_Walker

In around 1:15 PM Tuesday. Just as I was leaving the diner Sunday morning, I got a text from my old friends who were up at Lake Almanor that the forecast had changed and thunderstorms were no longer expected, so I headed up there for a very nice visit, then began heading generally south. I can highly recommend Quincy-LaPorte Road (it's on the Butler map), but be on your game! There was one spot where a sequence of medium sweepers opened up, ending in a rise that blocked the view ahead. Just over that rise, the road made a 90-degree left turn, with no guard rail and a drop of hundreds of feet into the canyon below! Also, you should know that it crosses a 6000-foot pass. At any rate, I ended up in Nevada City for the night, then worked down 49 until it was closed south of 120, down some back roads to Merced and then slabbed it to Bakersfield. Today was 58 to Tehachapi-Willow Springs Rd (thanks, Don!), then down to Mt. Emma Rd. and up Big Pines to Wrightwood (thanks, Carl!), then onto I-15 to home. Didn't hit any traffic! But I couldn't believe I encountered a crew putting down more tar snakes on Mt. Emma Rd., in a section where the road is already mostly tar snakes!

It was pleasure to meet Camille and Dana, and it was great to see everybody else again! Thanks to Sebastian for getting us off our duffs, to Joe for the pre-meeting in Fort Bragg, to Mark for the Grey Whale, to Mikko for Shelter Cove, and to Cornelis for the Samoa Cookhouse.

Lesson learned on CA-3: California (or maybe Trinity Co.) has apparently changed their tar snake formula so it's just as slippery as everybody else's (if not more so, since it wasn't even hot when we crossed it). Damn.

Lesson learned on Alderpoint Rd.: having front suspension with functional damping makes bumpy roads better, but it still doesn't make them great.

Lesson learned at the junction of 120 and 49: when you know part of a road is closed, check conditions ahead of time to see if other parts are closed. I knew 49 was closed from Coulterville to Oakhurst, but I didn't know it was closed from 120 to Coulterville.

Covered 2075 miles. And I got rained on for about 9 minutes just outside of Chester (Lake Almanor). Other than that, the weather was great!

Edited by Bill_Walker
Bill_Walker

I took very few photos of this trip, but here are a couple of interesting things I saw.

In Shelter Cove, we found a submarine!

41387024615_07492264f8_z.jpg

Just another member of our circle at the Red Hill Motel (sorry, flash was off):

41387025085_03e263d011_z.jpg

We managed to keep him out of the whisky/whiskey.

And in a window in Weaverville, I saw a clear indication that the regional business is going legit:

41387023545_35b5ff8049_z.jpg

I think "cannabusiness" is a wonderful portmanteau. Sorta like agribusiness.

In at home at 20:45 on Tue. I stopped for the night in PG, and today took 25/peachtree/indian valley, >101>41>229>58>33>hudson valley>5>405. Obtw, new surface on 33 and 58 up in the curves.

Oh, If anyone found a Swiss Army Knife on Sat at the picnic table, that would be mine.

TheDigginDutchman

Ed and I got to Lancaster about 5:30 it was a bit cool on the 50 and 89 this morning south of Lake Tahoe 41 degrees and raining.Great 6 days of riding 1987 miles.We rode the Lost Coast on the way home spectacular views on a really long crappy road.

A huge Thank You to Mikko for letting Bent Wheel Larry take your bike and continue the ride

Thanks again to all who came looking forward to the next one.

Cornelis

Edited by TheDigginDutchman
Bill_Walker
I stopped for the night in PG

PG? Pacific Grove? That's well west of 25. What PG do you mean?

Great to see you again, BTW!

I stopped for the night in PG

PG? Pacific Grove? That's well west of 25. What PG do you mean?

Great to see you again, BTW!

Yep, I stayed in Pacific Grove, then rode East to the 25. I did perform a road kill while on the way to San Miguel. These little chipmunks were scampering across the road every few minutes and I finally hit one :(

Anyone who has not ridden 229 should get on it when possible. The little curves that come in quick succession will put a smile on your face.

Some pics from my Weaverville ride. Larry, Cornelis and Ed and I headed out from Olancha and headed up Onion Valley Rd in Independence. Once at the top (9+k feet) I took a few.

original.jpg

original.jpg

The Gopro was on time lapse for every 5 sec.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Then we headed down the hill

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

and we finally made it back to Independence

original.jpg

We then headed up to Topaz where Cornelis' friends Denny and Susie let us spend the night at their ranch.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

That's it for now. I know some of you other folks have some pics to share. LETS SEE 'EM.

Edited by longjohn
Bill_Walker

Onion Valley Rd. is a new one on me. Looks interesting. I'm going to have to check that out next time I'm out that way. Great pics!

CoarsegoldKid

That's it for now. I know some of you other folks have some pics to share. LETS SEE 'EM.

I thought you guys were going to do some riding. Looks like all you did was take pictures.

TheDigginDutchman

I like the pics John I have a few I just need to spend some time to figure out how to post them.

I like the pics John I have a few I just need to spend some time to figure out how to post them.

Hey, thanks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but on this site you have to have your pics hosted at a site, like Pbase, smug mug or flickr, and then copy and paste the url for that pic into a thread here using this protocol: ____________

Where the url is substituted for the underscore. Also the url link to your hosted pic must end in .jpg or .gif, so add that/those suffixes if needed

And a note to EFFBEE or any mod: Other sites on the interwebs now let you drag and drop attachments from your computer to whatever thread you are posting to. Wow, what a novel idea. I'm not sure if that would affect the yearly cost of this site, but it would certainly simplify the interaction between the members and the site, which might draw in more users. Having a like icon in a post to let someone know that you like their posts, and having a notification if someone quotes your post might also draw in more members. just my 2¢. ymmv.

Edited by longjohn

I thought you guys were going to do some riding. Looks like all you did was take pictures.

Multitasking.

After our stay in the Topaz area we headed up 89 that would eventually lead us to Weaverville.

22 mi. to Markleeville

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Edited by longjohn
Lone_RT_rider

That's the cleanest damned windscreen I have ever seen. I don't think mine has been like that since the day I tool delivery of the bike!

Totally agree on posting pictures here. No reason why folks shouldn't be able to upload pics with a click, especially a smart phone. If it costs more so be it. Upgrade the archaic website. We'd all chip in for the upgrade.

Hey, did Larry Bump get that Duc rim fixed?

MB>

Bill_Walker

Yeah, one big downside of not hosting photos is here is that the photos in ride tales, or worse, in how-to articles, often disappear after some period of time, because the photo hosting platform has gone bust, or changed how it works, or the user has closed their account. Storage is cheap. Hell, I back up at least 750 GB of data from my computer with Backblaze for $5/month!

Totally agree on posting pictures here. No reason why folks shouldn't be able to upload pics with a click, especially a smart phone. If it costs more so be it. Upgrade the archaic website. We'd all chip in for the upgrade.

Hey, did Larry Bump get that Duc rim fixed?

MB>

Larry took a pic of me in front of a plane crash in a river that happened the day we road by, near Quincy I think. I'll send him an email to remind him to send it/post it and ask him about his wheel.

I do think this site enables one to upload a pic, but it is limited by number and file size, and I think most other sites have limltations too, but not so severely. For instance ADV allows 4 pics at once to be uploaded of fairly large file size but this site is limited to one small pic afaik.

That's the cleanest damned windscreen I have ever seen. I don't think mine has been like that since the day I tool delivery of the bike!

I think the cleanliness of the wind screen is exaggerated by the wide angle view of the GoPro. You know, the dirt specs become too small to see.

I think the cleanliness of the wind screen is exaggerated by the wide angle view of the GoPro. You know, the dirt specs become too small to see.

I was thinking maybe the rider was going so slow, the bugs had time to get out of the way... ask me how I know that.

I was thinking maybe the rider was going so slow, the bugs had time to get out of the way... ask me how I know that.

My fellow riders would concur.

Ok how do you know that?