IGNORED

First BMW

Emfour

I've been riding since 1984. Picked up my first BMW this week, a 1996 R850R. Got a deal too good to pass up. It's got 43,000 miles, but it's in good shape. What should I look for? Anybody else has one out there?

I've been riding since 1984. Picked up my first BMW this week, a 1996 R850R. Got a deal too good to pass up. It's got 43,000 miles, but it's in good shape. What should I look for? Anybody else has one out there?

Morning Emfour

What should you look for? -- Good riding roads!

Michaelr11

If the original black rubber brake hoses are still on the bike, get them changed out for a set of stainless brake hoses. Speigler makes a good kit.

WELCOME!! Congrats on the New 2 You bike! How about a few photos when you get a chance?

Do you have any specific concerns at this point? You've come to the right place, but maybe narrowing down your request for information will help us point you in the right direction.

If the bike is so new to you at this point that you don't have any immediate issues, the well intended and light hearted advice above about finding some roads and enjoying the bike (if she's road worthy) will be time well spent getting familiar with her and no doubt will provide a starting point for questions.

Welcome and enjoy!

Greetings & welcome Emfour...

Last spring I bought a '99R1100R (same bike as yours, bigger displacement) which is my first BMW... Mine had 93K km (~56000 miles) on it when I bought it. I basically rode it as I bought it for the most part last summer (and enjoyed it a lot), but I've done a few maintenance things. Towards the end of last season, I was suspicious of the final drive bearings, so I changed them out. Was a bit of a production, but not too bad (compared to other things I've tackled in the past). Reality was that the ones in the drive were probably fine (had a bit more play than new ones, but were serviceable). I probably could've / should've just changed the drive oil and left it at that. This spring, I changed all the fluids, new spark plugs, new air filter, did valve adjustment (a first for me), re-torqued heads, adjusted clutch cable, and replaced the tires (old rear was worn, and I wanted to have a matched set)... These bikes have 18" rear wheels which is now an odd ball size. I went with Michelin Pilot Road 3's, since the newer model Michelins don't come in 18" rears. Oh, and my rear brake pads were getting thin, so I put on new ones... EBC Double-H Sintered pads, they are way better than whatever was on the bike. I have purchased a stainless brake line kit from Spiegler, but haven't put them on yet (just received last week). I also bought a new alt belt, but the one on the bike looks good, so I did not change it out yet and just keep new one as a spare. I may also do a throttle body synch, which would be just for fun, as the bike is running great.

FYI, the previous owner of my bike had just had the injectors cleaned and patterned (he gave me the receipts and test results from the shop), and had just put a new battery in... You should read up on HES (Hall Effect Sensors), since that is a common failure point on these bikes. I have not pulled mine off to look at it, but may pull it and have it re-wired (if it hasn't already been). Maybe (?) will wait until fall since our season is so short here.

Here's some reading material for you... I downloaded it and then bookmarked things as appropriate. Between that, and searching on this site, I've learned a lot.

R850/1100 Manual

(if you're planning on doing your own wrenching, you'll get familiar with your torque wrench!)

Have fun getting to know your new ride!

Thanks. I always wanted a BMW twin, never could find one at a decent price. Came close to buying a 1980 R65 (not running) for $1,000. Guy decided to put it on Craigslist for $2,000 to see what would happen. It sold in a few hours to an out of state buyer. That's more than I paid for the 850. The previous owner threw in a Clymer manual, a set of decent used tires, and a set of brake pads.

The front brake master cylinder is seeping a bit. The master cylinder pushrod adjuster screw backed out on a ride yesterday- no front brakes. Rebuild kit is on it's way. Bit of Loctite will solve the adjuster issue. Already found the good roads. A few trips are already planned in the Southwest and up California. Bike runs well, but idle might be a little rough.

I'm on a screamingly tight budget. Looking for luggage that's weatherproof. Might look at adding a tachometer.

I read the reviews of the 850r, and ignored most of them. It's not the slow overweight pig that some say, it's a sane middleweight all around bike. Not as fast as my GPZ 750 or GS1000, but faster than the VX800. More useable power than any of them.

As for luggage, you can find used BMW system cases, or could rig up a mount for some generic tool cases. I've seen a couple installs that looked good.

For e.g. look here, and look at the reviews...

tool box --> pannier

If you don't know when the last maintenance was done, a couple new spark plugs, and maybe a valve adjustment might be worth the $20 and couple hours of time it'll take. That might clean up the idle.

Emfour- Welcome to the group! I've been riding since '85, BMWs since 94, and I'm on my second BMW. I'm on a screamingly tight budget as well. You know what the cheapest part on a BMW Motorcycle is, right? The nut between the handlebars and the seat!

I bought a well maintained, higher mileage, a bit banged up R1100RT almost 5 years ago. 2 stage painted it myself and it has served me very well. Looks and rides great.

What's your location? Cause BMW (motorcycle) specific rallies are happening all over the country. Great people, helpful advice, sometimes BMW flea markets with great deals on used stuff.

I'd say your first order of business is to get your brakes right. SS lines and the whole shebang. Sounds like something fishy is going on...... I'm in the middle of a MC rebuild right now. Dave

Edited by Dave P

I'm in Southern CA. The former owner had the bike for about a year, and put around 1,100 miles on it. I suspect mechanics weren't his thing. The front brakes are first on the list. Having the lever flopping loosely against your knuckles at freeway speeds is unnerving. There's a local shop that makes up SS lines while you wait, bought a few sets off them. Costa Mesa CA is motorsport Disneyland when you need to get something.

I'll check out BMW events. We have a great BMW dealer, Irv Seaver- home of the oldest BMW motorcycle, a 1923. So far, the 850 is better than I expected.

43K miles, but it's in good shape?

From reading that, it sounds like you thought the miles were high. I'd say, those are rather low miles, and it ought to be in real nice shape. Put some miles on that thing and enjoy the ride, you'll love it.

Oh, and welcome to the club!

Welcome.

FWIW

These bikes are on a time, and, mileage maintenance schedule.

They are available on line.

Take a look.

.02 Do a 6k/annual service, You can do it, kits available on line (odd washers etc)

And, determine if alt belt has been done (should've at 36,000).

Now, there a fuel filter, it too should have been replaced.

Then there's the HES. Replace rebuild ASAP.

Brake lines custom made? Ok. But compare with kiots like mentioned above that include all needed bits.

Tires (previous owner threw in used tires?)

Great. Check dates. Betcha older than want. Your bike. Personally old, used, thrown in would get thrown outt, YMMV.

Learn how to adjust all cables.

Check the shifter connections.

Check side/center stand connections, service.

Look up lines in the gas tank/fuel pump. These can immobilize you on the road.

Requires specific replacement, again, recommend OEM for many reasons.

These bikes need perpetual attention, but in a good way.

One of the best ways is to ride them, keep revs up.

Best wishes.

Yeah, 43k is low miles Id say, I'm at 117k. So Cal- well I was gonna invite you to our rally, but it might be a bit far- Watkins Glen NY end of summer. Dave

Yeah, 43k is low miles Id say, I'm at 117k. So Cal- well I was gonna invite you to our rally, but it might be a bit far- Watkins Glen NY end of summer. Dave

Thanks for thinking about me anyway. This bike is going to be ridden, not fussed over. I'm going to take of the issues and put it on Craigslist for too much. If nobody bites, fine, if I get a buyer, move on to the next one.

My two cents: I agree with tallman, except I don't know what HES is. I recently purchased an '02 R1150R. First order of business was to change all fluids and filters: Engine oil/filter, transmission oil, final drive oil, brake fluid, and fuel filter. That way, I know what's in the bike and when it was put there. Changing the fuel filter allowed me to get familiar with the fuel pump/filter assembly, and inspect the fuel lines inside the tank. When I adjusted the valves, I chose to remove the front cover and bar the engine over with a wrench; that way I could check the condition and tension of the alternator drive belt. Good luck with your bike. Jeff J

HES = Hall Effect Sensor, which is a known weak point with BMWs of that vintage. Typically, the insulation deteriorates, and the HES stops working, which shuts down the engine, often in wet riding conditions.

Ouch! Thanks, Selden and tallman. I had no clue! A little internet research on the topic revealed some instructional video and instructions on how to make a static timing tool to correctly set the Hall Effect Sensor. This looks to be well within the range of my electro-mechanical abilities. I'm on it!

Lone_RT_rider
HES = Hall Effect Sensor, which is a known weak point with BMWs of that vintage. Typically, the insulation deteriorates, and the HES stops working, which shuts down the engine, often in wet riding conditions.

Especially in a torrential downpour on I-69 in Michigan when right next to a Semi-truck. Not that I have experienced this....or anything. :)

Shawn

The Oilhead is BMW's first bike following new Euro regulations requiring many automotive components be biodegradable.

As previously noted, you'll likely soon require new brake hoses.

Most troublesome is the fact your electrical wiring harnesses will degrade to unusability sooner rather than later. Inspection will likely reveal that most places where a harness is held to the frame with a cable tie that the harness covering has split. The insulation on the wires inside the sleeve can be crumbling as well.

So, lots of opportunities to get up close and personal with Oilheads.

Next generation bikes have CAN Bus systems, significantly reducing wiring quantity.