IGNORED

How does this even happen?

J. Paganel

J. Paganel

Found a hole in my taillight.

I could see it if it was in the front somewhere, I've been hit with flying rocks before. How do you get it in the back like that?

Also, if there are any interesting suggestions on replacing it, I'd like to know.

6908.jpg.00066343909f145060a23cb4ec630932.jpg

They're not hard to replace at all. Two plastic nuts hold it on that can usually be removed with you fingers. I'd estimate about five minutes total at most with no tools. You may be able to find a replacement on Ebay, Beemerboneyard, or another cycle salvage place.

If you can't find a replacement at a reasonable price, you might try to experiment. Buy one of these which is really cheap. Take the lens out, and perhaps glue to inside or patch in some way. The issue will be not likely to be water proof, but should allow you to cover the hole until you can find a replacement.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/optronics®-rectangular-marker-clearance-light-with-reflex#repChildCatid=13476

J. Paganel
What model bike is that? I was thinking R1100RT.

R1100RS

If you can't find a replacement at a reasonable price, you might try to experiment. Buy one of these which is really cheap. Take the lens out, and perhaps glue to inside or patch in some way. The issue will be not likely to be water proof, but should allow you to cover the hole until you can find a replacement.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/optronics®-rectangular-marker-clearance-light-with-reflex#repChildCatid=13476

Neat idea.

Maybe I can put a blue dot in it... :D

I've repaired small holes in a VFR tail light lens with clear epoxy. Waterproof. Harbor Freight sells it.

szurszewski
Put it on the centerstand and hit the other bike in the garage. That's how I usually break mine.

Yep. I've, uh, heard from a friend that such a thing could happen. To, like, a friend. Not me. Yep.

The most likely answer is usually the simplest: Do you have kids? Well, there you go. Blame them.

Everyone's grounded for a week. Problem solved.

Vehicles going the other direction.

When bike was parked.

Moving bike around when other objects in area.

Intentional act.

Aliens.

• 2 weeks later...
J. Paganel

While I haven't yet fixed it, I think I might have an answer to my question in the title.

A friend sent me a link to a local newspaper. Apparently, some jackass really was running around with a BB gun. 20+ people had broken car windows, and my parents (they live a few blocks away) got two chinks in the windshield, which became big cracks.

Someone is in a dire need of a beating...

Edited by J. Paganel
  • 3 months later...

So, I haven't fixed the light yet.

Been looking for replacements, eBay is mighty thin on this - a $50 one with $25 shipping from Germany, and a $90 LED one from UK, but with free shipping.

Kinda leaning towards the UK one...