Killed March 12, 1969

Vietnam

Robert%20%20(Bobby)%20Spires.JPG

Pat

MAJ Jay Aubin USMC

Major Jay Aubin

CDR Kevin Children USN

Rest In Peace.

I couldn't find info for CDR Kevin Children. Perhaps someone else here can....

Army Reserve Captain Paul J. Cassidy, died 7/13/2003. Paul was 36 years old at the time, and was from Laingsburg, MI. Operation Iraqi Freedom, assigned to the 432nd Civil Affairs Battalion, Army Reserve, Wisconsin. Died while serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom at Camp Babylon. Paul's Army Times Link

I'm glad to see that the members of this forum understand the true purpose of Memorial Day - to honor those who dies while serving in the US military. Too many people confuse Memorial Day with Armed Forces Day or Veterans Day. Keep up the good wirk!

Karl, Lt Col USAF (Retired)

I'm glad to see that the members of this forum understand the true purpose of Memorial Day - to honor those who dies while serving in the US military. Too many people confuse Memorial Day with Armed Forces Day or Veterans Day. Keep up the good wirk!

Karl, Lt Col USAF (Retired)

Karl,

My father didn't die serving his country but the toll his military service took on his body eventually did him in. My father was too young to join the Navy in WWII and his parents wouldn't sign papers allowing him to join so he enlisted with the Merchant Marines because it was considered to be "safer." He was aboard three different ships torpedoed during the war yet survived each one. After the war he went to work for his father's construction company then joined the fledgling Air Force in '52 and was sent to Korea. He had two tours in Korea before returning home a very changed man. Fast forward a decade plus and the Air Force had him on the list to go to Viet Nam but he failed his physical due to having had a heart attack a year earlier. The heart attack was due in large part to the stress he endured while performing his duties. Not long afterwards he was mustered out of the military as a senior chief master sergeant.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to honor the spouses of military personnel. My mother kept the home fires burning while my father worked stupidly long hours not to mention the countless TDY's he had to pull thousands of miles away from wherever we were stationed.

Me? I had an easy life. In retrospect I see the toll this way of life took on my parents and their marriage yet I cannot help but feel that if they were alive today they wouldn't have changed a thing. I am the product of their union and am immensely proud of them and all the military traditions carried on by countless people these many years.