IGNORED

09 wheel and fender removal

joeb

Hi all. Got a bud with an 09 rt.. Trying to put tires on but his bike is totally different than my 03

. Questions.... what size allen for front axel ? Can front tire be removes by loosening the lower fenderr attach screws . I dont see any other fender attachments. Thinking wheel must be removed before. Fender can come off ? He has no manual or tool kit. Any help appreciated

Hi all. Got a bud with an 09 rt.. Trying to put tires on but his bike is totally different than my 03

. Questions.... what size allen for front axel ? Can front tire be removes by loosening the lower fenderr attach screws . I dont see any other fender attachments. Thinking wheel must be removed before. Fender can come off ? He has no manual or tool kit. Any help appreciated

Afternoon Joeb

Front axle hex size is 22mm (usually but not always) a 7/8 long nut (connector nut) or a 7/8" headed bolt with a double nut will fit as the 22mm thin walled axle is just a bit over 22mm.

Just the front beak of the front fender gets removed (2 screws on each side under lower side of front beak).

You also need unbolt then lift aside the front brake calipers (wheel won't come out of the forks with brake calipers installed). After unbolting, tip calipers both ways with force to force pads into calipers & provide clearance to get calipers off of rotors. Put rag, or tape, on the wheels in the caliper area so you don't damage the wheel paint as calipers are a very tight fit coming off.

You REALLY SHOULD unbolt the front wheel speed sensor & move it out (wheel will come out without unbolting speed sensor but it is ever so easy to bump it a ruin an EXPENSIVE speed sensor).