IGNORED

Gasoline smell on full tank after 18k service

profbodryak

profbodryak

Good evening everyone,

Went to Morton's for an 18k service last weekend (2014 R1200RTW). On the way back fueled up and for the next 20-30 miles or so the smell was pretty strong (especially in the city, then disappeared). Today, a week later, I filled it up again (at the gas station near home where I always do it, nothing out of the ordinary while filling it up). What is performed at an 18k service that could have caused it? Never been an issue before and I don't believe it is a coincidence but I may be wrong. Going to call them tomorrow. Anyone experienced similar symptoms?

profbodryak

Just read on bmwlt.com that it could be because of the locking mechanism needing to be lubed. I have recently been having some difficulty with opening it on occasions (along with the ignition) and the dealer suggested some wd-40 in it. But isn't the locking mechanism not open to air from the bottom? Or is there a hole to drain water into the "ring area" underneath to be drained by the drainage tube? This makes sense for the ignition lock because it never freezes in the winter while the cap lock does. And if so what should I lube it with?

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/169089-smells-like-gasoline.html#/topics/169089?page=2

My 2015 has the same problem. Didn't notice if it started when the last service was done. Let me know if you figure out the problem.

My bike will smell up the garage if I fill the tank beyond the normal bottom of the filler neck, shut off point

I got into the habit of filling beyond that on my 2007 RT when I took that piece out and I can get another .6 gallons in the tank.

After the first commute ( about 1.2 gallons ) i don't get that smell. Dont know exactly why this happens but..... I'm putting 5.7 to 6 gallons at fill ups

profbodryak

I haven't had a chance to call the dealer today, it was super busy at work. Will let you know after I call tomorrow to see what they suggest. Much better today and I haven't put but about 5 miles on it altogether since yesterday which makes me think it could be a clogged drain pipe. But again, why would it happen after service for the first time?

Edited by profbodryak
Motobricker

Like mig, I filled my 2008 up till it shout off then added another .5 gallons or so. Doing the same thing on my new 2018, no gas smell. Maybe they fixed whatever or the drain hole has yet to be plugged with gunk. Only got 2500 miles on it, but only had it 5 weeks!

I have similar problem with my '15 RT! Get the gas smell with full tank, or when the fuel in the tank gets sloshed around with partly full tank. Not bad enough to make me do something about it....yet, but it is a little bothersome. It will be very interesting to hear what your dealer has to say! It is curious that I also started noting it after the 12k maintenance also!

I think that the theory of lubing the lock mechanism is to make sure that it isn't preventing the gas cap from putting full pressure on the rubber gasket that seals the top of the opening. I had read that thread on BMWLT, but haven't gotten around to try lubing the mechanism yet.

Edited by PadG
realshelby

Just put some grease on the latching parts you can get to. A bit of WD 40 in the lock won't hurt either.

I simply do this every time I do a service on the RT. Have not had one case of the "fuel smell" since I started doing this.

You think it is latched. Feels like it latched. But, it isn't just right and the vapors escape. Fully latching is the solution and the lube makes that happen.

profbodryak

Here is what I found out:

1. Stopped by Battley Cycles and they were busy to even look at it. Scheduled to have it looked at in two weeks. They didn't suggest anything.

2. Called Morton's and they said that during service they didn't touch the gas tank. They also said that the locking mechanism would not be contributing to the smell BUT:

I will follow realshleby's advice (thank you!) and will lube the latching parts.

realshelby - what type of lube do you use? And which parts do you lube specificaly?

Sailorlite

Some of the sealing elements from the cap on my '14 GS actually fell into the tank so a good seal was no longer possible - thus a fuel smell. Check to see that the red ring is still on the underside of the cap.

profbodryak

Yeah, the red one is actually intact. I think there is a rubber one too which I believe is intact as well. What I do always notice after a windy day is dust underneath the cap on the rim around the opening. But I feel like it was always the case. However the smell is recent.

realshelby

I have actually been using Petroleum Jelly on the visible latch parts. I am sure there is something better, but I figured this was benign and it does work. Just put it where the latch parts meet up. Then a squirt of WD 40 on the other parts that you cannot get the jelly on. I do not put anything on the sealing surfaces.

profbodryak

So I just lubed it. WD-40, two small sprays (including all other locks - and what a difference in the ignition key lock and gas tank cap!) and also some grease on the latching mechanism of the fuel cap. I just went to the gas station. As short of a ride as it is, it is early to say, but it only smells nose close to the cap but will see on a ride tomorrow! Thank you realshelby for the advice! Also, Sailorlite, the red gasket was fully intact, but what I also did is pry down that black rubber gasket a bit, so it would be closer to the tank fill hole.

So I just lubed it. WD-40, two small sprays (including all other locks - and what a difference in the ignition key lock and gas tank cap!) and also some grease on the latching mechanism of the fuel cap. I just went to the gas station. As short of a ride as it is, it is early to say, but it only smells nose close to the cap but will see on a ride tomorrow! Thank you realshelby for the advice! Also, Sailorlite, the red gasket was fully intact, but what I also did is pry down that black rubber gasket a bit, so it would be closer to the tank fill hole.

Just a comment on WD-40 and key locks. Somewhere along the line, I was taught to never put WD-40 in key holes, but rather to use powdered graphite. The explanation I heard was that WD-40 will pick up dust and gum up the pins in the lock. I have used graphite for years. It does a good job of lubricating keys and locks.

I have to thank you for your thread, because it triggered me to do the same! :) Have been smelling gas since around the time that I did the 12k service, and knew that people had reported that lubing the gas cap solved the problem. I have almost 20k on the clock right now, and so I had been putting up with the occasional smell for a while! Incidentally, I think that the 12k point is just coincidental. The lube in the hinge and lock of the gas cap probably got washed away with small over-spills around that time. The only thing related to fuel, at the 12k service is to change the air filter.

profbodryak

Green RT: I heard about the powdered graphite years ago and thought that that is what has to be used. When I asked the dealer they said WD-40 is great for that. I can totally see how WD-40 would do that. Will use graphite next time - but - question - doesn't it get over your clothes if let's say you put your key in the pocket?

PadG: I am glad that there is some great advice on here, we shall thank those who suggested to do it! I am going to do the second full tank fill-up tomorrow (before my birthday ride :) ) and see how it is. It was definitely better after lubing it the other day.

realshelby

I have used WD 40 as well as graphite in locks over the years. Graphite is a powder and can turn into gunk. WD 40 might gum up under some conditions, but a fresh squirt cleans it out and lubes it. Graphite can indeed be messy.

I had a nice long ride on Monday, and I had lube the gas cap before going out with a full tank. I think, but not 100% sure, that the gas smell had gone away, because I thought that on occasions I had caught whiffs of the odor, after riding hard into sharp curves. One more long winding ride is needed to be sure.

Because of the doubt that I had cured the problem, I started to think of what else may have caused the smell of gas, to a rider. Ahhhh......now, I remember why I took my time in trying out the lube treatment! Because, if that didn't work, I would have to check on the other reason why I was smelling gas! What other reason? Well, when I did the 12k maintenance, I had to remove ALL of the tupperwares in order to get the three trim pieces off the tank, to replace the air filter. I recalled that when the 3 trim pieces came off, it exposed a couple of small rubber hoses beneath it, resting on top of the fuel tank. One of the hose must be for venting, and the other for the over-flow. What if, when I put everything back together, I had somehow dislodged at least one of the hose from its connector? That would do it! I was afraid to find out and having to go through removing all of the junk again just to check!

Edited by PadG

I've been using graphite for years with excellent results, the key (sorry for the pun) a little goes a long way, to much isn't good. It needs to be applied with a puff, it's a little difficult not to make a small mess because of the orientation of the gas cap. I haven't needed to lube mine, it's one of the first Wethead RT's.

Like a lot of you I too have the gas smell and lubed the latch and looking forward to seeing results with my next full up. Not sure when that will be, it's humid and close to 100 degrees and will be this Saturday. I guess a few morning blasts will be in order, we all need that smile.

Jay

I Use Molybdenum Disulphide powder disolved in IPA (Industrial Alchol). I run this into the locks/contacts. The Carrier solvent evaporated off and leaves the Moly to do its stuff.

I'm a fan of LPS 1 lubricant for these latch lubing applications. Cleaner than graphite and less likely to attract dust or gunk up like WD-40. That said I have used all three with good results. I think the LPS 1 is on the same track as Andy's " lube elixir" with dry lube in an evaporating carrier.

Edited by Paul De
profbodryak

AndyS: brilliant thought!!! Reminds me of organic chemistry lab portion of the class :)

I think lubing the mechanism cure the problem for me. Going to cancel my appointment at the dealer next week!

• 3 weeks later...

As I said, the only thing that the smell could come from, especially after 12k service, is that one of the small rubber hose, or both, had been dislodged from the connectors on the tank.