IGNORED

... of brakes and shocks.

Marlen Padberg

Marlen Padberg

Hi all. for those of you with higher mileage camheads, I have a question for you. I noticed on mine (2010 RT with 67,000 KMs on it), that it looks like the front and possibly the rear shock are both starting to leak. 8 years and 67K is decent - I was hoping for more mileage out of them, but what would be the interval that you have changed out your shocks, if you have. While on this topic, if you have replaced your stock shock, at what mileage did you do this, what did you select as replacement (OEM or something different?) what was your motivation for that decision, at what mileage did you replace those shocks, and did you do them both, or just one, and did your bike have ESA?

At the same time, a friend of mine noticed the discs on the front wheel both have a very small amount of radial play. I did have them both off and the wheel in for repairs last year, and so removed and re-mounted them, used loctite, adhered to the torque spec for the disc bolts. I didn't use new disc bolts (and I believe I read that they were supposed to be 1-time use only). Is this normal on any of yours? Should I replace the bolts - remove, run a tap through the threads to clean them, new bolts, torque, etc?

Interested in what you have to say...

Hi all. for those of you with higher mileage camheads, I have a question for you. I noticed on mine (2010 RT with 67,000 KMs on it), that it looks like the front and possibly the rear shock are both starting to leak. 8 years and 67K is decent - I was hoping for more mileage out of them, but what would be the interval that you have changed out your shocks, if you have. While on this topic, if you have replaced your stock shock, at what mileage did you do this, what did you select as replacement (OEM or something different?) what was your motivation for that decision, at what mileage did you replace those shocks, and did you do them both, or just one, and did your bike have ESA?

At the same time, a friend of mine noticed the discs on the front wheel both have a very small amount of radial play. I did have them both off and the wheel in for repairs last year, and so removed and re-mounted them, used loctite, adhered to the torque spec for the disc bolts. I didn't use new disc bolts (and I believe I read that they were supposed to be 1-time use only). Is this normal on any of yours? Should I replace the bolts - remove, run a tap through the threads to clean them, new bolts, torque, etc?

Interested in what you have to say...

Morning Marlen

I can't help you on the shocks (struts) as I usually replace when they lose enough function to effect handling or when the leak.

On the front brake rotors, a little radial play is normal (in fact some have quite a bit radial play) as the front brake rotors are semi-free-floating on the retaining bolts. As long as the bolts are tight to the wheel hubs there isn't much that you can do about the radial movement.

• 2 weeks later...