IGNORED

1150rt-p Crash bar mount removal....

dughawk

Hey guys, long time no post. BLUF after a Hiatus from Motorcycling I am back with an 1150 rt-p.

Problem. I am trying to remove the crash bar support system on this girl and it looks a lot like this.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R-1150-RT-R22-Bj-2003-Grundtrager-Sturzbugel-unten-oben-Support-System/132548949231?hash=item1edc8874ef:g:V0UAAOSw~CRTqZjD&vxp=mtr

EXCEPT.... the lower mounts go directly into the crank case. I was loosening the bolt and got a hand full of engine oil..... AND some how it is tied into the kick stand that is obviously cop issued.

The problem lies in finding a shorter bolt to fit into that lower left hole. I pulled the bolt and tried to replace it but the bolt is longer and will not hold the oil if I replace said bolt. I want to say it is 12 or 14 mm I have done several google searches and cannot find a fiche or even a decent parts manual that would show me a part number to order from BMW. ( As is they would have one in stock)

I have seen several "online" fiches and none of them show this bolt that supports the crash guard system yet holds the oil in!

Does anyone have a recent Fiche or parts blow up I can review? Any suggestions?

I have always loved the 1150rts.

Here's a link to the parts breakdown for the R1150RT-P bar system with hardware.

Look lower left and scroll down for otter illustrations such as the bars (chrome) and bracket of his isn't what you need.

It's a little unclear why you struck oil, but I'm sure someone more experienced can help.

https://www.ascycles.com/BMW-Motorcycle-Parts-Fiche/R1150RT-2001-05?id=51765&catID=46&catname=46%20Frame%20and%20mounting%20parts

Tom in Vernon BC

Oh my!

I use the Max BMW fiche for my parts reference; their fiche is easier to work with than A & S's. I suggest you check there so we are on the same page.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51765&rnd=07242017

The lower end of that mount that you have linked to, called the 'Base Support System, Lower', attaches to a bracket that is shown on illustration 46_0376, item 5. Item 5 is bolted to the bottom of the crank case with an M10 x 90mm fillister head screw (washers, nut, etc.) that is shown on illustration 46_0377 as item 15. I don't remove that screw to remove the 'Base Support System, Lower' which is 46_0376 item 4, BTW, although I did replace that bracket (item 5) previously without any leaking oil. I remove the two small bolts shown as item 8 on 46_0377.

Now... if you are referring to the chrome 'Rod Left', 46_0376 item 1, then you will see that it is bolted to (I believe) the center stand bracket (un-numbered on illustration 46-0377) which has a captive cage nut on it. Again, no oil, but the other end of it isn't attached to the 'Base Support System, Lower'; it attaches to the chrome crash bar.

None of the bolts retaining the 'Base Support System, Lower' go into anywhere there is oil, so I am at a loss as to the problem here. Mine is a 2004 and I presently have all that stuff off the bike to do an alternator improvement and clutch replacement.

What's different about yours??

Does this help at all?

Edited by Tom in Vernon BC
Hey guys, long time no post. BLUF after a Hiatus from Motorcycling I am back with an 1150 rt-p.

Problem. I am trying to remove the crash bar support system on this girl and it looks a lot like this.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R-1150-RT-R22-Bj-2003-Grundtrager-Sturzbugel-unten-oben-Support-System/132548949231?hash=item1edc8874ef:g:V0UAAOSw~CRTqZjD&vxp=mtr

EXCEPT.... the lower mounts go directly into the crank case. I was loosening the bolt and got a hand full of engine oil..... AND some how it is tied into the kick stand that is obviously cop issued.

The problem lies in finding a shorter bolt to fit into that lower left hole. I pulled the bolt and tried to replace it but the bolt is longer and will not hold the oil if I replace said bolt. I want to say it is 12 or 14 mm I have done several google searches and cannot find a fiche or even a decent parts manual that would show me a part number to order from BMW. ( As is they would have one in stock)

I have seen several "online" fiches and none of them show this bolt that supports the crash guard system yet holds the oil in!

Does anyone have a recent Fiche or parts blow up I can review? Any suggestions?

I have always loved the 1150rts.

Morning dughawk

It sounds like you are working with a non OEM attachment bolt. The 1150 RT-P bars do not usually attach with bolts that go all the way through the engine block & into the crankcase oil. (the holes for the bars are blind)

Your bike sounds like either someone installed a bolt that was too long then hit it with an impact wrench & forced it to blow out the inside alloy then into the crankcase. OR, someone stripped that bolt so then drilled all the way through into the crankcase then threaded the hole deeper to take a longer bolt.

Without seeing exactly what you are working with it is very difficult to advise but you are probably going to have to measure the bolt in question, then determine what you need to use as far as length & thread pitch, then buy that from a fastener supplier.

Or possibly make a bolt into a stud then clean the stud & crankcase hole, then install the stud with a permeant Loctite. Then use that stud with a nut on it for future bar removal.

You probably have some viable options but we will need very clear close up pictures of the bolt & engine area to help you, and/or you will need to be creative in finding a workable option.

Thank you all for your replies.

Since I do not have the tools, parts and such to make an effective repair, I am going to take this to a dealer and have the BMW mechanic tell me what he thinks as well. The more I played with it, the more I believe it was a non OEM FUBAR, I will post again in May as to the Progress of this project since I am currently busy in RL As always, thank you all for your suggestions and I will keep you appraised to the restoration. Cheers to the best Forums on the Interwebs!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE...

I got my girl back from the dealer ( after almost 2 months of being in the shop and they had to ship her to another shop in another city due to back log of work). Since they were going to have the fairings off, I had them also replace the fuel filter and the Alternator Belt. ( I am still new at wrench turning for BMW mottorads)I get her back to find myself.....dismayed.....

They got that pesky support system off and then told me the side stand is "Cracked".... I am not sure what they are talking about. I see no cracks in the side stand even when she is on her side stand. After I got her home I see that they cracked my left side mirror, Did not reset the LOW FUEL warning sensor and lost 2 of the fairing bolts and placed Non BMW fairing bolts ( despite the fact I bought 4 of them very expensive bolts) I have contacted the service manager and we are in negotiations for reparations.

I am looking at a new crash guard support system something like what I am linking below. I like how this crash system does not require you to take off the whole fairing to mount it. I have googled some but.... I would like to spend less if possible. Any suggestions will be welcomed. :)

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1100-1150-RT/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Crashbars-stainless-steel-2.html

The ones pictured are the Z Technik engine guards. They retail for 300. US and you can get them here.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle-1/bmw/bmwr1150rt/2001bmwr1150rt/z7105.html

The question hangs out there, do you really need the metal ones ?

The factory BMW plastic guards protect the valve cover and should the bike tip over with the guards , Z Technik, , BMW, Touratech, etc the three contact points are STILL going to be the saddlebag, mirror, valve cover.

Only the original RT-P front and rear bars truly protect the bike and even then, the mirror usually gets it anyway,

What happened with the oil thing ? You gotta tell us.

Tom in Vernon BC

Sidestand? Been there. The Max BMW fiche doesn't show the Authorities sidestand but if you look at illustration 46_0577, the part that cracks is similar to item 4 in that illustration and it can't be seen until disassembly. I have a severely cracked example in my museum of removed and altogether useless parts. It didn't fail completely, but it was close.

Unless the cracked bracket is replaced it will continue to worsen and the motorcycle will lean farther and farther over while on the sidestand until you get to see how well the crash bars work. I didn't see any practical way to repair it, other than replacement.

The Authorities locking sidestand differs from the civilian version, and the assemblies are readily available on ebay. That's where my replacement came from.

Edited by Tom in Vernon BC

Hey TRI750,

As requested...

https://imgur.com/a/NcjZWbY

As you will see, it is the exit or entrance line to the Oil Cooler. I did not know that at the time of the original post. They put a shorter bolt in to convert the space the crash bar support system was attached to.

Your input is also of value on that crash bar support system. Your thinking is logical, I just want something to protect the valve cover in case I knock it over like I have done to my old 1150rt. ( yeah, I was an idiot and leaned against my old bike while on a cell phone call and she tumbled...It was embarrassing...)

Many a plastic factory engine guard has been sanded smooth and spray painted with Bumper Paint after a tip over.

They can be installed without panel removal by shortening an el cheapo Allan wrench to very ,very short and keeping it in the tool kit.

(Shorten the short leg of the wrench almost to the bend)

Uh, no. Not exactly those.

I'm talking about the actual factory guards those are copied from.

The real guards will be about 150.-160. For a single spark and have to be ordered left, right, and hardware separate as the kit is no longer avail.

The knock offs, you have no idea if they are brittle, will sun fade, etc etc .

https://www.ascycles.com/BMW-Motorcycle-Parts-Fiche/R1150RT-2001-05?id=51765&catID=46&catname=Frame%20and%20mounting%20parts#PartsTable