IGNORED

Flooding in Helen

Selden

What a difference 20 miles makes. We got some rain, maybe 2" over the past 48 hours, while Helen, GA got 8" and flooded. Luckily, damage doesn't look to be nearly so great as in Ellicott City, MD. What a wet spring it has been in the east.

ed762950764a3933565f944336b28306--helen-georgia-helen-ga.jpg

I feel for the people having now lived through Harvey here in Houston...We got 52 inches in 30 hours....Even today there is major construction work. One more home on my block got bulldozed 3 days ago not because they just now gave up, but has taken that long to get around to all the damage home. My home is pretty new and elevated. We were the only home on our block without water entry. The home here before ours would have been severely flooded.

In the North Carolina Mountains there have been five killed in recent days due to flooding and mud slides.

Flooding in NC

I think old Mom Nature is trying to recreate the rain forests from South America in the North. :lurk:

It's still not over. We got a taste of what Helen got around midnight with the heaviest rain I can recall in my entire life (I'll turn 72 this month), accompanied by a lot of lightning, but without much wind — just rain coming down like it had been poured from a giant bucket. Fortunately, we live on a ridge, the downpour lasted only an hour before it let up, and all the trees in the neighborhood are still upright this morning. With the weather we've been having, I'm not going to be doing much fire road riding for a while.

High water levels continue in Helen, more rain expected

realshelby

I seen 5 inches of rain on November 5, 1985 almost wipe out parts of West Virginia. 5 inches in a couple hours here in Houston is nothing. But 47 inches in 5 days during Harvey sure was!

I know people like to build in attractive areas. But the losses due to flooding are simply not sustainable in many areas.