IGNORED

Leaking USB compartment

profbodryak

profbodryak

So here is another thing that bothers me - more on the right than on the left - when it rains hard there is water in the USB compartment. The seal looks intact. Anyone else experienced the same? When I say there is water, I mean there is literally a puddle in there.

Well it seems your problem is unique with no others chiming in. Your bike seems too new for a deteriorated seal from environmental ozone attack.

I would first check the rubber seal where the USB dongle comes into the compartment. Make sure there is no issue there. A bright flashlight and your chin near the tank should give you a view of that seal. Also check if compartment door seal Is fully engaged to its mating surface. On my RT I need to provide an extra push to get the door closed noting some resistance to compress the seal as it latches. You might check for good door seal contact to its mating surface by putting a thin layer of petroleum jelly on the mating surface and closing your compartment door with only enough force to just get the door latched, then open to see if the grease is completely around the seal rubber. If not, you likely have found your leak. I'm not sure how to adjust for that issue as I think the compartment and door are a single assembly.

Hope I helped and let us know what you find.

profbodryak

Thank you both.

Paul De, it is a great advice, will look into it tomorrow. It is highly unlikely that it is leaking from the bottom as when it rains hard, the top gasket is soaked wet on the contact surface. It mainly happens when the bike sits outside in rain for a while. Will let you know what I find. Also, this is an issue from when I first got the bike (3700 miles). I had the factory warranty at the time and I was stupid enough not to have them look into the issue. Aftermarket warranty probably won't cover it.

This is just a thought, is it possible a wire slipped between the cover and the seal allowing water to leak in? I keep my phone is that compartment, it's connected to the USB with a thin cable, I need to make sure its tucked inside the case before closing.

Jay

Dang...should have followed KIS in my initial response.

I was looking at these compartments yesterday with your post in mind and realized that the first thing to consider is if the compartment contains an item that causes your door to become warped when latched down. I have always been sensitive to this possibility as that plastic door seems to deform fairly easily if stowed items sit even a little proud of the top lip of that compartment.

profbodryak

It is a great idea but I don't keep anything in there. I use the left one for a registration card, insurance card and the equipment warranty card (all three laminated because of the leak issue). The right one only has a small USB flash drive connected to the wire but it is always inside the compartment.

roadriderg
So here is another thing that bothers me - more on the right than on the left - when it rains hard there is water in the USB compartment. The seal looks intact. Anyone else experienced the same? When I say there is water, I mean there is literally a puddle in there.

Mine leaked also. it appeared to be coming from the grommet that the usb wire was on was incorrectly installed. Refit it and i have not had a problem yet, But it does not rain here very much in southern California. so it has not been truly tested.

I believe it occurred while on a trip to Sedona which we caught a couple of days of rain.

profbodryak -

When the USB thumb drive plugged into the cable in the RHS compartment stopped working I took out the thumb drive and rubber mat on the bottom off the compartment

I noticed some dampness underneath where the mat had been. I rarely ride in the rain - pathetic I know - so put it down to washing the bike with the garden hose the day before.

Turned out the thumb drive had been vibrated to destruction rather than inundated. Replaced it with a heavy duty thumb drive and all is now well.

On a few occasions the long USB cable I use in that compartment has been caught under the seal when I closed the lid. That could be the culprit.

Ian

profbodryak

Randomly met a guy on a RTW recently who happens to have the same problem on the right side. Will most likely replace the seal as I am quite meticulous about the wires and never pinched that USB wire before. I must say that the seal does look even to a naked eye upon inspection. Thank you for everyone's suggestions!