IGNORED

Coolant weeps

Peter Room

Peter Room

2014 R1200RT 60,000 km (37,000 miles)

I have had small deposits at the coolant pump 'weephole' for several years but no drop in coolant level in the reservoir.

Now, at 60,000 km I have found small deposits that look the same at the front and top of the right hand cylinder at the junction between cylinder and head - and still no drop in coolant level in the reservoir.

Should I worry that the head gasket is shot? Or re-torque the head bolts and watch for future leaks? Or ignore the issue as not significant?

[i tried to include photos in this post but could not find out how to do it.]

realshelby

I would clean the area and watch it. Could be something besides coolant. Not likely there is a head gasket issue, and I don't think those gaskets on the Wethead are supposed to be retorqued.

Even though warranty is out, I would check with a dealer to see if there might be some warranty help on the water pump. Especially if you have documented the leak or shown it to the dealer earlier in its mileage.

I have seen a very slight weep from the junction of the cooling pipe with the head, but only when the bike has sat out in very low temps (25F) - its an "O" ring. I considered changing it but the leak was so small and so infrequent I decided to just keeping an eye on it. Bike has done 50,000 + miles. I first noticed it at about at 30,000.

Had the same issue on my '14 RT. At the last service (30,000 miles), they added coolant and wiped the area to watch. Brought the bike back in 500 miles later and had more weeping. Water pump was replaced. Just had the job done, so too early to tell if the problem still exists.