IGNORED

wheelspeed sensor

axabmw

2012 R1200RT SE UK bike

38,000 miles

As I left work tonight my brake failure warning didn't go out and the red warning triangle stayed on. Both brakes still worked, however I noticed the speedometer wasn't working. The needle moved afraction when you turn the bike on but that's it. Cruise control didn't work, odometer, tank range, fuel consumption didn't change. I figured the speed sensor to be faulty, GS911 seems to back me up.

Before I splash out on a new one, is there another cure, such removing it and cleaning it or a way of testing it.

Phil

Edited by axabmw
2012 R1200RT SE UK bike

38,000 miles

As I left work tonight my brake failure warning didn't go out and the red warning triangle stayed on. Both brakes still worked, however I noticed the speedometer wasn't working. The needle moved afraction when you turn the bike on but that's it. Cruise control didn't work, odometer, tank range, fuel consumption didn't change. I figured the speed sensor to be faulty, GS911 seems to back me up.

Before I splash out on a new one, is there another cure, such removing it and cleaning it or a way of testing it.

Phil

Afternoon Phil

GS-911 show a bad front or a bad rear?

In a lot of cases the front is the L/H brake rotor has rubbed a nick out of the speed sensor cable (that is usually repairable).

On the rear it is usually because the pigtail was pulled too tight & the wire has failed along it's path or at the connector. (sometimes repairable).

If you just changed tires a short time ago & didn't loosen the front speed sensor & pull it out a little before removing the front wheel then suspect

a damaged sensor from contact at wheel removal.

You can test for resistance with an ohmmeter or test for voltage output with a small AC voltmeter by spinning the wheel but if it shows bad on the GS-911

then testing it is kind of not needed.

Thanks for that I'll start looking tomorrow. Tyres were changed in march approx 34,000 miles. I assume the speedo only gets it's signal from one sensor?

Phil

Thanks for that I'll start looking tomorrow. Tyres were changed in march approx 34,000 miles. I assume the speedo only gets it's signal from one sensor?

Phil

Afternoon Phil

I'm not sure on the camhead it might be one or could be the average of front & rear. What sensor does your GS-911 call out as bad?

How can I find out which wheel sensor is faulty. I've attached the GS911 autoscan report. I assume the other fault codes are caused by the fact the speed sensor doesn't tell the abs everything is working.

6922.txt

Edited by axabmw

I just went through this on my 2011. (no cruise control etc.)

The GS911 indicated a fault at the rear sensor. The front one shoed no faults. I cleared the fault, pulled out the rear sensor, cleaned it (it was clean) and put on a new 0 ring. Checked the wire.

Put it back together and no problems since. Good luck.