IGNORED

Breaks up above 1/3 throttle, No fault codes

DED

2007 R1200RT Just returned from a 1,500 mile trip. Road through heavy rains. Bike ran perfect. Went on a 200 miler today and about 20 miles out bike would act up above 1/3 throttle, lose power, hesitate, back off throttle a bit and it would accelerate as normal. At times problem seemed to disappear. First impression was water in fuel. Stopped and dumped some Startron in tank, ran tank down below quarter tank and filled with fresh fuel. There were times when the rpms were up I could go full throttle and it would respond and other times more than 1/3 throttle and would crap out. Came home and put the GS-911 on it and no fault codes. Any suggestions? Think I'll install a new set of plugs and see if that helps but I doubt it.

2007 R1200RT Just returned from a 1,500 mile trip. Road through heavy rains. Bike ran perfect. Went on a 200 miler today and about 20 miles out bike would act up above 1/3 throttle, lose power, hesitate, back off throttle a bit and it would accelerate as normal. At times problem seemed to disappear. First impression was water in fuel. Stopped and dumped some Startron in tank, ran tank down below quarter tank and filled with fresh fuel. There were times when the rpms were up I could go full throttle and it would respond and other times more than 1/3 throttle and would crap out. Came home and put the GS-911 on it and no fault codes. Any suggestions? Think I'll install a new set of plugs and see if that helps but I doubt it.

Afternoon DED

New plugs would be a great place to start (especially if you turn up a bad one).

You might be looking at a bad stick coil also (probably upper if problem above 3K).

Low quality fuel & hot weather can give you a upper RPM flat spot but usually not a total power loss.

If problem goes away in cool weather & using known good premium fuel then do suspect a knock sensor/ BMS-K related power loss (BMW has a service bulletin on that)

Wouldn't the knock senor throw a code? I have a new set of plugs handy. The ones in there only have 11 thousand on them. Just did a 12k service early and the plugs I had out to adjust valves looked new yet so thought I would run them a while longer.

Wouldn't the knock senor throw a code? I have a new set of plugs handy. The ones in there only have 11 thousand on them. Just did a 12k service early and the plugs I had out to adjust valves looked new yet so thought I would run them a while longer.

Afternoon DED

Only if it is failed & the BMS-K catches it.

In most cases the knock sensors are just working correctly & doing their job it's how the fueling computer reacts to the knock sensor input that causes the power loss & flat spot. BMW had a new CIP to cure some of the overreaction to low octane fuel & hot weather, I'm not sure if it was updated for or by the 2007 models.

OK put the top 2 plugs in, did not have time to remove the plastic to do the bottom 2. Plugs looked fine. Started bike, seemed to idle a little rough. When I pulled out on the road gave it some throttle and it crapped out a bit. Went down the road till the temp came up and grabbed a hand full. It stuttered, farted, popped and took off. Ran perfect after that. About 15 miles came home idle is smooth now. WTF I don't have an explanation but all is back to normal now. Just hope it lasts.

Try looking at the throttle bodies. I had to replace both of mine. The plastic cams had cracked. It was expensive.

• 3 weeks later...