IGNORED

Camhead as an upgrade from 03RT

BobW03

Now that I have sorted out my starting issue on my 03, I am considering looking for a low mileage camhead. From the specs I have found the camhead appears to be 50 pounds lighter and 15 more horsepower? I would be looking for non ESA and wonder how many miles before replacing the suspension? I have Wilburs on my 03 now which I had replaced around 30K. Do I need a GS-911 just to reset the computer after an oil change? Where/how do you mount a GPS unit? I was able to find a nice used Migsel for my 03 but have not looked at GPS mounts for a 10-13 RT.

Thanks

Bob

dirtrider
Now that I have sorted out my starting issue on my 03, I am considering looking for a low mileage camhead. From the specs I have found the camhead appears to be 50 pounds lighter and 15 more horsepower? I would be looking for non ESA and wonder how many miles before replacing the suspension? I have Wilburs on my 03 now which I had replaced around 30K. Do I need a GS-911 just to reset the computer after an oil change? Where/how do you mount a GPS unit? I was able to find a nice used Migsel for my 03 but have not looked at GPS mounts for a 10-13 RT.

Thanks

Bob

Morning Bob

You can mount the GPS about the same as on you current 1150RT. (Lots of options on GPS mounting & if using a tank bag some limitations).

You might have a difficult time finding a non ESA Camhead bike as most dealers ordered in the full ESA bikes. I don't know for sure but would imagine that most if not all non ESA Camheads were special order.

You will need a GS-911 or dealer computer to re-set the service-due reminder BUT, you don't have to re-set it as it is JUST a service reminder & causes no runability or other problems.

I am going to look at a non-esa 2011 tomorrow. On my 03 I had upgraded the shocks to Wilburs at around 30K miles and what an improvement. My concern was that ESA shocks could not be upgraded or the cost would be enormous to upgrade. Do the ESA electronics have much of a failure rate? Looking through all the forums I have not found much if any problems with ESA.

Bob

I am going to look at a non-esa 2011 tomorrow. On my 03 I had upgraded the shocks to Wilburs at around 30K miles and what an improvement. My concern was that ESA shocks could not be upgraded or the cost would be enormous to upgrade. Do the ESA electronics have much of a failure rate? Looking through all the forums I have not found much if any problems with ESA.

Bob

Afternoon Bob

The early hexhead ESA systems had a higher failure rate but the later systems (like the camhead) didn't have a lot of issues.

ESA is handy if you regularly change to & from carrying a passenger or adding/ removing heavy luggage but not a big gain if you usually ride with the same bike weighting & same riding style.

Personally I wouldn't buy a new 1200RT without ESA if I planned on selling it in a few years (lots of riders like the ESA option so it helps resale), but if I was buying a used 1200RT for myself I would rather buy a non ESA bike as I usually ride without passengers & my camping gear weight is not usually an issue.

You can upgrade the ESA to aftermarket & keep the electronics but it is EXPENSIVE.

I went to see the bike today and agreed on 9000.00 from a private seller and only 10,500 miles. It has a heated Sargent driver seat, Vstream windscreen,Ilium bar back kit , Givi E193 mounting plate for trunk,Chrome muffler, BMW aluminum cylinder head covers and accessory socket. I will move over my GIVI E55 trunk with Admore lights. NO ESA nor Radio which I did not want . Paint color appears to be flat grey, forget what color he said it was.

Current person was 2nd owner and had bought it from a Honda dealer.

Will pick it up later this week or next weekend.

This will be my retirement bike bought a couple years early

After my GS was totaled by the Harvey flood, I found a 2011 RT with about 10k miles at my dealership. I bought a Sargent seat and crash bars front and rear and Givi 55 liter trunk and mounted my Zumo with the Wunderlich fairing mount. Spent a little more than you did for the bike, but still thought is was a pretty good deal. You will love your RT!!!!!!!!!!1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be late to this thread ...

You'll find the Camhead (or a Hexhead) to be a completely different bike as compared to the Oilhead (or an Airhead).

That is, the 1200 engine is a high rpm engine as opposed to the low rpm torque monster that the Oilheads and Airheads were. You'll likely find it necessary to maintain 4000 rpm as your minimum rpm if you expect to have the ability to accelerate quickly from a given speed. This is simply just different and not really a problem ... and the balance shaft in the 1200 makes it almost meaningless.

Another thing I've noted with the Camhead (or Hexhead) is that it's pretty easy to forget to shift up ... I've found myself doing maybe 80 and maybe close to 6000 rpm in fourth gear with the engine so smooth I didn't notice. Wouldn't happen on an Oilhead or Airhead I think.

So, you'll maybe need to relearn shifting a bit, but in the end it will be better.

Kent, I find myself cruising at 70 mph in 5th quite often. Don't even thing about shifting to 6th until speed is 60+ mph. Course I live in flat Texas. When we used to have a place up in Black Lake, I would rarely get to 6th gear on my Hexhead GS. Sure miss riding in New Mexico.