IGNORED

Home Security Webcam?

I want a camera that does not rely on a service to tell me when something is going on or to store my photos. In other words, I want a camera that connects to my router via wifi, and will send my cell phone pictures/alerts when something happens all without the use of a web service. I found the Samsung SmartCam HD Pro 1080p and was greatly encouraged until I read some of the reviews.

Now that you know what I am looking for, do you have an recommendation?

John Ranalletta

Sonor,

I've got a solution if you've got the patience. I have three wifi cams. They are managed by software called Blue Iris http://blueirissoftware.com/. The BI software manages the cams, lets you set trigger zones, recordings, ftp, etc. If you're using PTZ cams, you can also zoom and pan from the interface. You can program your cams to send text or email alerts with photos and/or video clips when a camera is triggered.

It is not easy to install. It has to run on a computer whose ip address remains constant, i.e. each time the computer turns on, it has to obtain the same ip address. Also, the blueiris service has to be port forwarded. It's all in the instructions and if you're handy playing inside your router, it works great and there's a very good forum at ipcamtalk.com.

There is a BI app that allows you to control and view cameras from any other location by logging into your BI software remotely.

You can also buy wifi cameras. Just connect your cameras and configure the alerts, triggers and recordings to a on board chip. You can log onto each cam separately but cannot connect remotely, though there are programs that allow you to connect to the cams, enabling them to do so, opens your system to others. (sorry for large images, but in a time pinch)

BI on computer: (3 cams on left w/ video clips from alerts on the right)

bi.png

BI on iPhone:

IMG_4914.PNG

I've used Sharx cams for 4 years now without a hitch. There are probably other cams as good, just compare features. Keep in mind all cams must by powered so, you'll need a nearby outlet or use a POE router with POE cams and connect/power with you router patch cords.

This is view logging directly into the Sharx cam:

sharx.JPG

Thank you guys for your input. There have been a rash of breakins around my neighborhood as of late and I feel this would be a good deterrent. Both seem to be interesting options but not enough details technically for me understand them. I am going to see if there is a setup manual on line for both. One thing about the BI setup, it seems like I need to setup an in house server to maintain the coverage. Does it have to be a MS server or will Linux work?

John Ranalletta

No doubt there are simpler setups and I've only used BI, but four years with the system and I couldn't be more pleased. Ideally, one should set it up on a separate computer. A used laptop on Ebay would do the trick. My old Lenovo Thinkpad would often slow when BI, word, Outlook and Chrome were running together..

IMG_4916.JPG

Blue Iris recommended server spec:

Minimum requirements:

Pentium dual-core or equivalent 2GHz processor or better

2GB or more system RAM

Microsoft Windows XP SP3 or newer, or a server OS

One or more USB or Network IP cameras, or an analog capture card with DirectShow drivers

Recommendations when using many and/or HD cameras:

Intel core i7 with QuickSync for hardware decoding

8GB or more RAM

Microsoft Windows 8.1 or 10, 64 bit

nVIDIA graphics adaptor for efficient screen display

7200+ RPM drives and/or SSD drive

A couple of family members use Netgear's Arlo (all images go through Netgear's servers). They're happy with the setup and all costs are covered in purchase of camera. I don't think the cams are weather proof and the cam on right is "weatherized" with silicone. Pretty good range, too. The router is at the far end of the house, behind a cement block wall.

Misc: The ferry in the photos carries day workers to houses on Keewaydin Island

arlo.JPG

Edited by John Ranalletta
John Ranalletta
Thank you John - are your cameras WIFI?

Yes. They are wifi. If you use power-over-ethernet, you can also attach to router and power with network patch cable.

Google "sharx cameras".

Interesting and new to me: Sharx is offering free server software. https://www.sharxsecurity.com/blog/

Edited by John Ranalletta