IGNORED

Dirt riding the WR.

TEWKS

Well it's not the Thrilla in Manila but, I did some WR dirt riding yesterday in town. :) No popcorn needed, it's a shortie. :grin:

Pat

I know it was a little weak but i've BTDT on the other Yamaha, and it hurt! :dopeslap::grin: PS...how's the Koffee Taste Maker working out? ;):thumbsup:

Pat

Good stuff, Tewks. I sure miss riding in the dirt. It was the most fun I have ever had.

I don't think Eli Tomac has anything to worry about.

Ron C.

Good stuff, Tewks.

I don't think Eli Tomac has anything to worry about.

Thanks Ron, yeah Eli is very very safe. :rofl:

Pat

Tewks........watched it twice...something wrong with the bike...wheels seemed to always stay firmly planted on the ground :) Nice bike. would like to have one but I live in a concrete jungle

Edited by Skywagon
Tewks....something wrong with the bike...wheels seemed to always stay firmly planted on the ground :)

No, it was just my interpretation of the Bubba Scrub! :D Too bad about the Crete Jungle. Tewksbury has changed so much since I was a kid, but, a couple small patches of dirt still survive, for now.

Pat

roadscholar

You're lucky you have that, and I like your little track. We have to go 30-40 miles for any significant (or legal : ) dirt and there still aren't any dam hills. :grin:

Geez Bill, if you would ever come to Colorado someday, you could find some hills and a few miscellaneous rocks. :rofl: August 20th, Ouray :wave:

roadscholar

Heck, I hope to have been there a couple times by then : )

If I'm around then I'll head over that way, take ya Jeepin', maybe Black Bear..

Edited by roadscholar

Don't you still need to do Schofield and Taylor? Think I am getting too old for these two and Black Bear again. :(

Same here, it'll be in a jeep this time..

Bill, I'm sure you already know about your new obligation driving a jeep? The Wave! :wave: Bought a Jeep a couple of years ago and was caught off guard by it. I since sold it for the pick-up so not in the club anymore.

Pat

roadscholar
Same here, it'll be in a jeep this time..

Bill, I'm sure you already know about your new obligation driving a jeep? The Wave! :wave: Bought a Jeep a couple of years ago and was caught off guard by it. I since sold it for the pick-up so not in the club anymore.

Pat

Haha, actually didn't until I started driving around and was getting waves from people I didn't know, I'm up to speed with the program now though : ) It's like the old days (50's, 60's and 70's) when Porsche drivers flashed their lights at each other. Except there weren't many Porsche's on the roads then (it was like, 'oh look there's one'), Jeeps are everywhere so it keeps ya busy. From the article, little did I know.. :grin:

"The Jeep Wave is an honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle: The Jeep."

036-L.jpg

roadscholar
That looks like it would be a blast!!

Mike if you mean the Jeep it is, wish I'd picked up one years ago. Just got to Colorado with it and am already having a blast, plus it's opening doors to places I wouldn't attempt on a dual-sport anymore.

On the other hand if you were referring to TEWKS homemade moto-cross track, then nevermind. (also a blast) :grin:

I'll try to post some pics when there's more bandwidth.

Very cool pics, Bill! :thumbsup: How'd the Falcon do tugging the jeepster out there? 💪 Have fun, very envious but know who to copy! ;):thumbsup:

Pat

roadscholar
Very cool pics, Bill! :thumbsup: How'd the Falcon do tugging the jeepster out there? 💪 Have fun, very envious but know who to copy! ;):thumbsup:

Pat

Let's just say it was 'adequate'. As much as you could expect from an older Chev 350 pulling 12k or so, it requires some patience. Like I was telling Larry about going up Monarch Pass in the Jeep, ya know the old guy that makes you mad always holding up traffic, I'm that guy now. :grin:

It's a "Bitch" getting "OLD". :rofl::wave: Jeep needs a lift! :grin:

Ain't that the trutht, it's a good thing there are alternatives.

Jury's still out on a lift, I'll get back to you : )

roadscholar
Bill, I hope you have a problem free day, today. :grin:

Pat

No problems so far but I like that tire cover. Not planning on using it though : ).

027-XL.jpg

037-XL.jpg

031-XL.jpg

045-XL.jpg

Worthy of a JEEP story, Bill! :thumbsup: Bought one like I mentioned, but panicked not having a pickup so I bailed rather quickly. Your pics are making me regret that decision. :lurk:

Pat

Funny story...

I bought a set of rock rails for it (yeah stupid) not knowing I was fully committed to the vehicle. Anyways, took them to work and asked my Captain if I could use a bay to instal them. No prob he said. Of course half way through the instal while under the jeep we get a call. A minor medical, we happened to have an extra guy on the engine that day so the Captain said just finish what you're doing.

Five minutes goes by and I hear the Capt say HI CHIEF... :eek: I thought he was messing with me but no, the Chief happened to show up while I was under the Jeep and not on the engine where I should have been.

Luckily I tend to fix things on the apparatus that I can handle so the Chief kinda sorta overlooked this bad decision. :facepalm::grin:

Pat

roadscholar

That sounds like my timing.. bad : )

Think I might've told my Parnelli Jones Jeep story already but if not LMK. Anyway here's another. When I turned 16 (1964) I bought a homemade dune buggy from a friend for $100. He started with a 1949 Willys Overland took the body off and cut about 4 feet out of the middle of the frame welding the front and rear back together. Flathead four, 3sp, and a bench seat. I'd pick up two buddies on the way to school and we'd run thru the dunes the last mile or so. It had a goofy problem, the accelerator spring was way too stiff, so most times you'd leave a stop light you had to press really hard which gave it full throttle and made it lurch then you'd have to let off which started a perpetual motion pogo effect of the front end until you could get it in 2nd. With 3 teenagers laughing their asses off the entire time, so stupid it was fun. :grin:

Sounds like it was an attention getter for sure. Fun stuff! :grin: Don't recall the PJJ story. :lurk:

Pat

You two are just kids. Bill when you turned 16 I had finished college and had 10 years in the Coast Guard. I'm feeling older as I type this. :dopeslap:

Tewks : Everybody sees something different in a video; I zeroed in on your tires at the beginning.

I have an XT225 (one of the few DS bikes that someone with short legs can handle comfortably). It's currently wearing Shinko Trailmasters, which are great on the street and hard packed Forest Service fire roads, but a little lacking in traction with gravel and mud. Whatever is on your WR looks like a reasonable compromise between what I now have and full knobbies.

They're just the stock Bridgestone Trailwings (half worn) on it. Agree, they are fine for road/trail gravel road use but they are not very confidence inspiring trying to ride it like a MX bike.

In other words, I need to get some new tires. :grin:

BTW, Happy Birthday! :clap:

Pat

roadscholar
Pat, your making me feel a bit OLD! :wave:

Same here Marty, you should try riding with him sometime : )

Some folks refer to those tires as "Deathwings". :dopeslap:

True, but I believe he rode them over Black Bear, Imogene, and a few other places many fear to tread. What's that tell you about bikes, tires, and riders. :Cool:

'64 was a good year but by the latter part of it my parents had had enough dune buggy shenanigans and got me a real Jeep. A buddy had a Land Rover so we continued to terrorize the dunes at Bel Air, south Daytona, and Ponce Inlet (no condos or motels in those areas then). My stepdad had NASCAR connections and one night during Speedweeks he invited Parnelli Jones over for dinner. It was my first inclination all trends started on the west coast. Parnelli was one of those rare multi-talented drivers that competed in stock cars, road racing, Indy cars, as well as off-road racing.

He noticed the Jeep when he came in and during dinner asked if I wanted some big fat sand tires for it. He was sponsored by Firestone and said they had some take-offs from his Indy car, just bring the Jeep over they'd widen my wheels and mount em up. Too cool, I couldn't thank him enough.The only downside was they just had squiggly little treads and were great in the dry but when it rained there was almost no traction. After a few close ones I learned how to deal with it though, as in 'slow the heck down' you dummy : )

Pat, your making me feel a bit OLD! :wave:

Same here Marty, you should try riding with him sometime : )

[quote=

Best I can do is park in his garage on my way to Montreal when I ship the moto to Europe. No way I'm in the same league with either of you two.

Edited by Marty Hill
  • 1 year later...
roadscholar
On 6/22/2018 at 9:00 AM, TEWKS said:

Bill, I hope you have a problem free day, today. :grin:

91TGUsJJv3L._SL1500_.jpg

Pat

Reminds me of this on Black Bear last year, dude was lucky. Odd Pat, it was right at the fun section : )

image.thumb.png.21d77e42a564bc96c535cc9b1c526ed0.png

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 6/9/2018 at 10:25 AM, TEWKS said:

Pat

The wave????

i thought I was clicking a link to this:

https://www.thewave.info

• Like 1
On 6/24/2020 at 11:33 PM, roadscholar said:

Reminds me of this on Black Bear last year, dude was lucky. Odd Pat, it was right at the fun section : )

image.thumb.png.21d77e42a564bc96c535cc9b1c526ed0.png

Watching someone recover that would be interesting.  And most likely very expensive.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Old pic on Black Bear. BF, was that you? :4316::5150::4323:

image.jpeg

Think Twitter calls that “manipulated media” :grin:

Ha, someone photoshopped in the Airstream but the Jeep photo is real, read an article about it once, it was an ad for the new Wagoneer at the time. I guess they dynamited (sp) away more of the wall since then because it's def wider now. I always wondered about the photographer and how the heck he got out : ) Probably had another vehicle up there too.

Edit, one other funny thing, that Airstream is what they call a widebody and didn't come out until the early 90's, the Jeep is mid 60's and roughly when the photo was taken : ) 

• Like 1