IGNORED

$70 Million Dollar Ferrari

John Ranalletta

Reminds me of the man who said he had a $10 million dog. When asked how he knew it was worth that much, he replied, "Because I was offered two $5 million cats for him." These auction prices say more about the value of the dollar than the car, IMO.

Edited by John Ranalletta
Marty Hill

And yet we have vets sleeping on the sidewalks all over America. Wonder why folks with billions don't help them?

roadscholar

Old news, Ferrari GTO's have led the collector car market since the 70's, they've consistently been at the pinnacle or near it for 40 years. There were 31 or 32 of them made, the last two were notchbacks instead of fastbacks, obviously rarer though to most not as good looking. I was racing my 910 at Road Atlanta in the mid 80's when one of those two (owned by Peter Sachs) blew an engine, spun in it's own oil and caught on fire perched on the guardrail. It was only worth about 5M then but still a scary sight, he got it restored back to like new again.

That one actually sounds a little low to me and I'd bet a few have changed hands for more, you just don't hear about them. From the article..

“It's conceivable that other, rarer cars may have changed hands for greater sums in the past between owners who like to keep eight- (or even nine-) figure transactions quiet,” wrote Autoweek columnist Graham Kozak.

I'd take one over a Van Gogh, Picasso, Monet, whatever, anyday. :grin:

Marty Hill

Of course you would. Can't drive a painting on the track.

And yet we have vets sleeping on the sidewalks all over America. Wonder why folks with billions don't help them?

Because most people will not refuse a handout! And that will turn us into a welfare economy, Why is that bad? Because there will be very few people working as there is no incentive. Utopia does not exist.

Seems unlikely that operating that vehicle - anywhere - would bring a guy much joy. I mean, you're not gonna go fast around any corners, or red line the motor.... You're gonna put around like an old granny, and you can do that in any $300 jalopy. But that's just me.

Personally, I don't see where a person obtains any joy having possessions like that.

The car is beautiful, you can enjoy just looking at it. You can take your guests out to the garage and show them how much money you can afford to have sitting around doing nothing.

Give the money to a sidewalk dweller and they'd just wander off.

roadscholar

Seems unlikely that operating that vehicle - anywhere - would bring a guy much joy. I mean, you're not gonna go fast around any corners, or red line the motor.... You're gonna put around like an old granny, and you can do that in any $300 jalopy. But that's just me.

Personally, I don't see where a person obtains any joy having possessions like that.

Just the opposite here, I don't see how one couldn't..

Because most people will not refuse a handout! And that will turn us into a welfare economy, Why is that bad? Because there will be very few people working as there is no incentive. Utopia does not exist.

Maybe we could use the money to get the vets the help they need and return them to being productive members of society again.

Just the opposite here, I don't see how one couldn't..

And if that didn't do it for ya,

roadscholar

A little more affordable look at the Euro collector car hobby, although these old tubs have taken a big jump in the past decade too. Not long after I sold all of mine.. :eek:

roadscholar
Nice! One of the models I've never even sat in.

They're pretty cool Marty you should get a ride in one sometime. It's like a '65 Beetle except better handling, brakes, suspension, aerodynamics, build quality, interior, body fitment, paint, and most of all ride and feel, many including myself think better than early 911's. The dash layout and instrumentation are almost jewel-like, oh and 2 or 3 times the Beetle's hp : )

This was my first, 63 Super 90 (90 DIN HP, 102 SAE HP) I got it in 1966 when I was 18. It was 2k then, would be about 50x that now, needless to say wish I still had it..

1962-Porsche-356-S90-r2-slideshow-001.jpg

Oddly, I've seen them at P Club events but never even got close to one. Still prefer the 911's from the late 80's and early 90's. One track mind.

roadscholar
Oddly, I've seen them at P Club events but never even got close to one. Still prefer the 911's from the late 80's and early 90's. One track mind.

I can dig it Marty, those old tubs are an acquired taste.

Bill,

love 'em.

Of course friends had some.

Back in the late 60's/early 70's S Fla.

Rescued from desert areas (like Arizona) so rust free.

Remember an orange convertible Speedster...

sighishingly.

I wouldn't mind still having my CSL, or my '66 22 window, sliding roof, VW bus.

:dopeslap::dopeslap:

roadscholar

Yeah if we only knew then what we know now. That bus and CSL would bring a tidy sum these days, oddly enough I had a '64 many-windowed bus when I lived in Tallahassee in the late 60's/early 70's too, no sliding roof though that is pretty rare. This oughta make you cry a little : )

https://jalopnik.com/5815611/this-is-what-a-217800-1965-volkswagen-bus-looks-like

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1973/BMW/3-0CSL/2-Door-Coupe/Values

Don't remember exactly but I went through around fifty 356's over a 25-30 year span, most I kept at least a year or four but by the early 90's a buddy and I were buying every open car we could find because it was obvious from the (P car) race car values they were going to skyrocket, they were next in line. Most of the owners that had them sitting in barns and garages weren't aware of what was about to happen and we were glad to scoop them up. Many doubled or tripled in value then or shortly thereafter and (we thought) we did pretty good. Of course 10-15 years later they'd gone nuclear and were rising five and seven-fold those numbers to where we are now. Repeat 1st sentence in post : )