IGNORED

Need a part time job? Here's a deal for you.

szurszewski

I looked into that a few months ago - at the time it was only in the Seattle metro area - in WA I mean. Lots of places nationally.

John Ranalletta

Double your fun and deliver a pizza with every package, "Hey, I'm coming your way with an Amazon delivery. Can I bring a pizza?"

realshelby

Just wait till the "partners" start getting into accidents and Amazon gets sued. I highly doubt any of them will have commercial insurance and once their insurance company figures out they are using the vehicle for commercial use they have a way out of paying! When you figure your cost of operation, you might not have such a warm feeling about this job........

Amazon is calling them independent contractors. But, if they only work for Amazon, that won't hold up long.

Well, Uber drivers are considered IC's.

Interesting factoid I heard last week. In the most recent quarter, Apple made more profit that Amazon has made since it began. Apple 1st Q profit

Amazon is calling them independent contractors. But, if they only work for Amazon, that won't hold up long.

Amazon Flex seems similar to Uber/Lyft. I would think that most of the legalities have been hashed out in court.

Johnny J

Edited by JohnnyJ
szurszewski

Amazon Flex seems similar to Uber/Lyft. I would think that most of the legalities have been hashed out in court.

Johnny J

Amazon had also been using this model for a few years for their one-hour PrimeNow delivery in Seattle, Portland and other locations.

Bill_Walker

I wonder if, as with Uber and Lyft, once all the costs of vehicle wear and tear are considered, drivers end up making less than minimum wage.

I wonder if, as with Uber and Lyft, once all the costs of vehicle wear and tear are considered, drivers end up making less than minimum wage.

There is definitely a strategy with Uber and Lyft. If done incorrectly, earnings could unquestionably be well under minimum wage.

Edited by JohnnyJ
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, Uber drivers are considered IC's.

Interesting factoid I heard last week. In the most recent quarter, Apple made more profit that Amazon has made since it began. Apple 1st Q profit

But Amazon has captured the market and is growing stronger while Apple just told it's suppliers to produce at 80%. The potential for profit is worth more on Wall St than the actual profit.

I use Uber on occasion, and I've always wondered about those folks who take $6-8 fares. I suppose if you use them as fillers between more lucrative ones, it might work out. Still....

szurszewski

I use Uber on occasion, and I've always wondered about those folks who take $6-8 fares. I suppose if you use them as fillers between more lucrative ones, it might work out. Still....

The short fares are actually more lucrative than the longer ones IF you can string several together without having to go much distance between each drop off and the next pickup. On a short fare you get to spread the pickup fee over fewer miles - same with the tip, if you get one, as people don't usually tip that much more for a long trip than a short one.

If I get a couple of trips to the airport (55 miles away) I'll get a higher gross income than a typical day running shorter trips in/around town, but my per-mile gross income will be 20% or so lower. A small part of that will be offset - assuming traffic on the freeway isn't stop and go - by better gas mileage for highway miles, but only a couple of pennies per mile. IF I could get a fare from the airport back to my home location that would make it better, but there are usually 100+ cars in the cue at the airport waiting for passengers (so you could burn an hour or more waiting depending on demand) and chances are good I would actually get a fare going the other direction ending up further away/having more empty miles to drive at the end of the day.