IGNORED

Orange is the New Green

eddd

I made the mistake of test riding this 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XRT. My very green Kawasaki with 41,500 trouble-free miles quickly went up for sale, and the Tiger found a new home. The Tiger had a whole 1500 miles on it, and came with the side bags and a few other farkles. I kept the Givi rear case from my Kawasaki and painted it to match the Intense Orange of the Tiger. I added a Madstad shield/system since the stock screen wasn't going to cut it, and it transforms the ride. I also switched out the halogen bulbs for LEDs...a major improvement. I added the orange and black vinyl to the side bags to break up those big flat side slabs.

The XRT is the top road version of the Tiger 800 with cruise, heated seats, heated grips, traction control, LED fog lights, and three riding modes. The 800 triple is a sweet engine with a really wide power band. It is super smooth with no engine vibration transferred to the rider.

medium800.jpg

I have a white 15 xrx with traxxion dynamics ak-20 fork cartridges, Penske shock, madstad ,3 1/2 inch rox risers and Sargent seat. I also went up one tooth in the front and then down 3 in the back to make it much better while cruising on highways. it's still got plenty of pickup and I don't plan on any technical dirt adventures on it. It's one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

Edited by Richard_D

I Rabia.gif it! I rented a Tiger 800 XrX (blue, not as awesome as that orange). I loved the motor and the throttle response was super smooth. And cruise control--on an 800!

Edited by mnTwin

Ed,

Nice bike! I have to admit that I was always very impressed with your Kawasaki especially the way you had it set up. Enjoy the new Trumpet, I look forward to seeing it next month!

Ed,

Nice bike! I have to admit that I was always very impressed with your Kawasaki especially the way you had it set up. Enjoy the new Trumpet, I look forward to seeing it next month!

I was still happy with the Kawasaki, and it was running perfectly, but that test ride...

I was immediately comfortable with the bike like I rode it every day...and that engine is sweet.

Rode my buddy's 800 Tiger on a gravel road one time and didn't want to get back on my GS. What...who said dat!!! :D

Pat

what size is that shield? is that the darkest version? I keep thinking of buying one for my F800GT

It was an 18" in dark gray. There is an even darker shield, the Extra Dark Gray, and I say was an 18 because I cut it down to a 16. I didn't have the bike to sit on and measure as per their instructions so I went with the 18 to avoid a delay in getting the shield. That 18 was a bit too tall but easily fixed.

Rode my buddy's 800 Tiger on a gravel road one time and didn't want to get back on my GS. What...who said dat!!! :D

Pat

Despite several offers, I have refused to ride on friends' BMW GS1200/1150s. They are just too tall and heavy and wide for me to feel comfortable. The Tiger 800 was a completely different experience. I was immediately comfortable on the bike to the point that I was doing tight circles in the dealer's parking lot before I headed out on the road. It reminded me of jumping on something like a DR650 or other dual sport with a seat height to where you can flat foot.

Oh, man, the Tiger 800 is on my short list to replace my current commuter bike. The big question I have is how is the comfort over long distance? I did 500-odd miles on the Interstate yesterday to get home, and the wind buffeting was really fatiguing. Much as I'd love an RT, it's not in the current budget both for buying and for maintaining.

Oh, man, the Tiger 800 is on my short list to replace my current commuter bike. The big question I have is how is the comfort over long distance? I did 500-odd miles on the Interstate yesterday to get home, and the wind buffeting was really fatiguing. Much as I'd love an RT, it's not in the current budget both for buying and for maintaining.

I'm currently on the Tiger's maiden tour. Everything about the bike makes for a very comfortable ride.