IGNORED

G9 LED Bulbs Flicker

Twisties

The last hold outs in our house for high efficiency replacement bulbs were the bathroom lights which take between them 550 watts of G9 Halogens. 400 watts of these see about an hour a half of daily use. G9 fluorescents never did appear, and the LEDs came late and were pricey. Prices have finally dropped, and I purchased my 11 replacements plus an extra from Ikea when I was visiting my dad in FL. The bulbs don't work. About half of them flicker horribly, and they are getting worse.

So now I'm looking for others on Amazon. Plenty of nice new choices are showing up finally. Unfortunately, in every case where there are more than a few user reviews, one sees complaints of these bad boys flickering and deteriorating rapidly. It seems like the bluer ones may do better than the warm ones, but we want warm for bathroom use.

My question is for the engineers: What's up with G9 LEDs? Why are they not as reliable as other residential LED lights?

?No room for sufficient heat dissipation?

They flicker on start-up, before they've had time to warm-up. When they first begin to fail they will sometimes stop flickering after a few minutes of operation. They do get somewhat warm, maybe 80-85 F. There aren't many watts involved. The Ikea are 2.4W.