IGNORED

Battery Ngative Pole connector terminal

Alan Sykes

My tiger-stripe 04 Rockster has been considerably fiddled-with in its past life, mainly by bored Weekend Warriors with little engineering ability and very small brains indeed. Like the guy who simply lobbed off the Heated Grips wiring to the under-tank area instead of properly investigating why Fuse # 7 had blown.

The wrong-polarity battery connection problem had been reconciled by simply bolting onto the bike's negative cable a short extension wire so as to reach the 'other' pole of the battery, doubling back the longer positive cable in the process and jamming it up against the seat nose. They live and breathe amongst us....

The question is though,  should the original Neg cable termination end in a right-angle bracket like this ? Or should it have a simple round eyelet soldered on, just like the Pos cable has ?

Advice please. AL in s.e. Spain.

Battery_Neg_Pole_connector.jpg

My tiger-stripe 04 Rockster has been considerably fiddled-with in its past life, mainly by bored Weekend Warriors with little engineering ability and very small brains indeed. Like the guy who simply lobbed off the Heated Grips wiring to the under-tank area instead of properly investigating why Fuse # 7 had blown.

The wrong-polarity battery connection problem had been reconciled by simply bolting onto the bike's negative cable a short extension wire so as to reach the 'other' pole of the battery, doubling back the longer positive cable in the process and jamming it up against the seat nose. They live and breathe amongst us....

The question is though,  should the original Neg cable termination end in a right-angle bracket like this ? Or should it have a simple round eyelet soldered on, just like the Pos cable has ?

Advice please. AL in s.e. Spain.

Morning Alan

I can't say what the European 1150 Rockster uses but that cable end is pretty typical of the 1150R bikes that import into the U.S. There is an adapter that goes between the battery (-) post & that cable end (I think even a couple different adapters depending on battery type).

mfZ4R5N.jpg

Many thanks DR - especially for the foto - and that's exactly like the neg terminal cable is on my Rockster, minus the reddish-coloured adapter part.

When the Shoria battery arrives,having the correct polarity with the positive pole on the right, I'll see about a suitable adapter, because of course the bolt in the neg terminal of the cable is a captive one.

BMW_Battery.jpg

Afternoon Alan

I usually just bend up a piece of copper or brass into a "L" then drill a couple of holes.

Or just flatten a piece of copper pipe then bend into an "L" the drill a couple of holes the file to fit the cable terminal ears.

Or you can buy Odyssey battery adapters on E-Bay https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/jOsAAOSw6hNZiZVd/s-l225.jpg

BMW does (sort of) sell the battery post adapters but I haven't ever been able to find the correct ones in the parts fiche as the ones on the parts fiche

also have a welded in stud so there is no hole for the cable end stud to go through.