IGNORED

replace the radio with something useful?

codan

I just read a post that implied that the radio 'pocket' could be replaced with a non-radio pocket.

The radio is useless to me. Has anyone done this replacement?

Thx

Edited by codan
I just read a post that implied that the radio 'pocket' could be replaced with a non-radio pocket.

The radio is useless to me. Has anyone done this replacement?

Thx

Morning Codan

I haven't ever personally removed the radio on the 1200 CamHead bike with wonder wheel. The radio is multi-piece so only part resides in the radio pocket.

The OEM glove box parts are expensive so either E-Bay for original glove box parts or possibly modify the radio retaining area into a glove box.

I'm not sure what will happen on the CamHead once the radio is removed as the radio control is on the CAN (Controller Area Network) system so if the control panel is removed you will need to find or make a CAN termination resistor to prevent RFI interference getting into the CAN system.

You might start by completely unplugging just the radio body in the radio pocket then ride the bike to see what happens & what appears on the dash read out.

freetime2247

Just curious why the radio is useless? Mine works just fine and I can hear the radio and dirrections clear at any speed with my ear buds.

Just curious why the radio is useless? Mine works just fine and I can hear the radio and dirrections clear at any speed with my ear buds.

I live in the mts of CO, so no radio reception in lots of places. If I want to listen to music I'll use earphones not the speakers. Generally I don't listen to anything while riding anyway.

But after looking harder at the volume available, and also considering the wonder wheel and it's implications, I've decided it's just not worth it.

I bought the little Aerostitch bag that goes in the tail cone, and I'm considering a custom molded tray for under the seat, or maybe sewing some bags to fit that spot. Basically I'm trying to find the space to have essentials tools always on the bike without needed to have a bag on the bike.

Do what most do. Hard wire to rear speakers connection and plug in a thumb drive or mp3. I never listen to the radio. I use a thumb drive and when I plug in the GPS it all runs through the radio interface and into my helmet speakers. The radio setup actually works pretty good when you consider it interfaces with the garmin GPS and your cellphone all at once. It's all plug n play.

My '06 came with the radio prep option - antenna, speakers and wiring, no radio/cd unit or left side control panel. The right hand compartment had the wiring connector, antenna connector and a cooling fan mounted in the bottom. It was usable as-is for storage of small items, but some items always managed to find their way to the very bottom to hide under the fan. While I had the bike apart for a brake flush, I removed the fan and it's mount, pulled the antenna lead out of the box and cable tied the radio connector to the bottom of the box. This gave me a little more room and ensured nothing could hide underneath it. BMW sells a liner for the radio box (part #71607689652) to sort of smooth out the corners, but I'm happy to maximize the the space I have and keep the $60 in my pocket.

27932618267_87a0900b9f_b.jpg

It holds quite bit, with all this I still have room for my cell phone and a pocket camera.

27932617797_9741c6b8f8_z.jpg

On my bike at least, there is nothing plugged into the electrical connector. My rudimentary wiring diagram from a Haynes manual shows an audio system CAN terminator resistor, but I don't know where it is located.

Edited by lkraus

On my bike at least, there is nothing plugged into the electrical connector. My rudimentary wiring diagram from a Haynes manual shows an audio system CAN terminator resistor, but I don't know where it is located.

Evening Larry

Does your bike have the radio control panel or just the blanking cover? The main radio body in the glove box doesn't get the CAN termination as the CAN termination goes on the connector that plugged into the L/H side control panel.

Good evening, DR

My bike came with the blanking plate on the left side. It proved to be handy when I installed a waterproof button for my garage door opener.

18935238384_72a1dc7a12_m.jpg

42087547744_37144740fc_z.jpg

I've never before had the cap off that connector but, yes, it does contain a terminating resistor.

27935920227_7a28801c51_b.jpg

The pins are hard to see, as they are end-on and the focus is poor. They plug into positions 5 & 6 of the connector.

Google tells me that CAN terminations are typically 120 ohms, I measured this one at 122.4 ohms.

I wonder if Codan would need a terminator if he left the control panel in place and just removed the radio unit? I don't have access to an audio wiring diagram to see if the bus extends all the way to the radio or stops at the control panel.

I looked through the fiche rather quickly, but I'm not finding a part number for the terminator cap.

Edited by lkraus

I wonder if Codan would need a terminator if he left the control panel in place and just removed the radio unit? I don't have access to an audio wiring diagram to see if the bus extends all the way to the radio or stops at the control panel.

I looked through the fiche rather quickly, but I'm not finding a part number for the terminator cap.

Morning Larry

The control panel is on the CAN but the radio itself (receiver in the glove box) is not directly on the CAN so no terminating resistor needed on the glovebox connector end.

I haven't ever been able to find BMW listings for the different CAN terminator resistor caps as they are all slightly different as the wire harness connectors they fit on are all different but the resistors are all the same value (at least as far as I can determine) so I usually just make my own using a simple resistor & a couple of terminals.

At one time I did have a couple of removed DWA (anti-theft-alarm) wire harness CAN terminating resistor caps that were removed when the DWA system was added to a non DWA bike.

Leaving the factory radio control panel should properly terminate the CAN-Bus at the radio interface but I have no idea on what other problems would show up due to the radio control panel not seeing the radio receiver but still talking to the CAN.

If (personally) I was removing a radio on a CAN-Bus or LIN-Bus bike I would unplug the control panel then just make up a simple termination resistor to properly terminate the CAN connection to that device.