IGNORED

2014 R1200RT Purchase Advice Please

Devil Duc

Good evening all,

I am looking to upgrade from an '07 to a '14 and wonder what the latest advice is on what to ask about and watch out for on the 14's. Thanks!

Semper Fidelis,

Aaron

Bill_Walker

Watch out for riding faster than you thought you were. :) I went from an '04 to a '15 and have hardly any experience of the ones in between, but the wethead is a hugely improved bike. I can't speak to trouble areas. I haven't encountered any in a year of ownership. Well, maybe the fact that my old GS-911 doesn't work with the new bike.

Aaron...the only real issue I can recall anybody talking about is the occasional drip out the weep hole of the water pump. It's not a water pump failure and doesn't cause you to have to add antifreeze with any regularity. Mine is a 14. It was the 8th in the US and now has about 20k miles. So far, trouble free. There is a recent thread about someone having some rain water enter into one of the small storage box's up front, but if I remember right dealer fixed gasket issue. There have been a few people who started removing the tuperware and they weren't aware of how the plastic tabs released and they broke the tab. You could probably ask the owner to remove the two side panels to show you how to do it and you will see if tabs are still there or not.

As Bill said this is a very different bike. Lower center of gravity, much much faster, and there are no reports I've been able to see of things like bugged last generation or two of RT's. Yes it still shifts like a BMW..cluncky in the lower gears but better than previous generations in my opinion.

If you are going to test one, I would recommend you have them set the throttle sensitivity to either Rain or preferably Road. If they have in on dynamic I think it will be too sensitive for your first ride...If you ride it, I suspect you will buy it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I did read about both the weeping and the leaking but thought there must be some more things that might cause some issues since there is so much more tech on these bikes compared to my old trusty '07. Good to hear that you have 20k on yours with no issues, David. I suppose a more accurate question then is to ask if there are any factory options to avoid or to ensure I try to find? I was not aware on the mechanical differences though, with regard to power and weight distribution. The dealer in town has very limited used inventory so unfortunately I will likely buy one from out of state and have it shipped to my home. How different is a '14 compared to a '17 or '18 in power, handling, and center of gravity? I might be able to get the dealership here to let me test a new one tomorrow after work if the ride is comparable between a '14 and '18. I don't mind the transmission clunkiness, as it is characterful to me on my '07.

Anybody in the NE WI area that has one I might ogle? I am particularly fond of the matte grey but not too sure the internet pictures tell the whole story on that color: looks really green in some pictures and really dark grey in others. How about the ebony; does that have a blue hue to it in real life?

BTW, reason for upgrade is that I would like to sell the '07 with 74k miles on it before it isn't worth selling to help finance a newer one. I bought it in '12 with 32k on it and simply did all the recommended maintenance. Oh yes, there was a transmission output shaft seal that was seeping a bit that I changed one winter. But that is it.

Semper Fidelis,

Aaron

Lower center of gravity

Interesting observation.You would think that with the lower CofG the bike could be controlled better at ultra low speeds. However, I find my old Oilhead to be much easier to balance 'feet up' at traffic lights than my Wethead.

However, that is of no real importance (I just like that ability for trickling along).

The only advice I can give for changing is, go for a long test ride. Make a list and see if it ticks enough boxes.

They've been pretty good bikes, actually awesome bikes IMO. Now, the 2014 models did have a stop ride recall for a defective shock issue. I'm sure any and all 14s were fixed but something to ask about.

Pat

I tried my '05 for the '14...

The only "issue" at all has been lack of time to ride.... and that is not the bike's fault.

beemerboy and I did squeeze in a short jaunt from Colorado Springs to up state Wisconsin for a bike club gathering. That was fun.

Lone_RT_rider
Anybody in the NE WI area that has one I might ogle?

I'm a bit farther South than you, but if you do come down to MKE, I'll meet you at Schossmann's. I still have my R1100RT and my 2008 R1200RT. I spent some time on a 2017 R1200RTW last summer. I'd be happy to share my experiences with you as the sales person sits there cringing, just hoping I don't ruin their sale. ;):D

Shawn

Hi Aaron

Haha Aaron from Title Town!! Collar bone good to go by September? With that new contract in the works you can buy every model of BMW and decide which is best for you, and give the rest to them O-line and receivers.

Kidding aside, other than the rear shock failure fiasco for the early 2014's all the wethead RTs so far have been remarkably unremarkable as far as mechanical issues go. Yes, you can read about some one off issues here and there but nothing close to a fundamental flaw in the design or build. And BMW really scrambled and made the shock issue right. There would be no sleeper bad shock bikes to fail out there anymore as there weren't that many out there and the recall was aggressive to get it fixed.

Power from '14 forward is the same for all wethead RTs with maybe the first motor update coming for the 2019 model year adding variable valve timing and a few more CCs of displacement. That said you have to be a really jaded power junkie to want more go than the current Wethead motor delivers. And riding a wethead VS any of previous generations of the RT is a transformative experience. Steering is quicker needing much less input force to change directions which might explain Andy's comment about the seeming in-congruence with lower a CG and yet more difficulty at low speed maneuvers. Going from my '99 tothe '15 RT I had to relearn to have a light touch on the bars as if riding a lighter sport bike with big wide bars attached. Hard acceleration out of slow speed turns will make the front wheel want to lift with the computer subtly adjusting power delivery keeping things from getting out of hand...I think my'99 front wheel only came off the ground when on its center stand.

I came from a '99 oilhead so any of the wetheads shift like a dream although for the '17 model year there was some shift drum tweak made to improve shifting smoothness. I road a 2017 for a day while my '15 was in for the major service interval and I really didn't notice a big shifting improvement, certainly not enough to make me want to trade in my '15.

Most folks really like the ESA suspension and Dynamic packages, but they all seem to come through with the Premium package on it which includes all of that plus more. In fact you would have to search hard for a base model RT that was special ordered by someone as the dealers only seem to order them loaded. Do a search on this forum for accessory topics as there are a growing number of offerings and plenty of posts on the choices made. I would guess the three biggies are better saddle, louder horn, and driving lights. Driving lights can get more expensive than expected if you go with a CANbus compatible system that integrates into the bikes electronics.

I'm a bit farther South than you, but if you do come down to MKE, I'll meet you at Schossmann's. I still have my R1100RT and my 2008 R1200RT. I spent some time on a 2017 R1200RTW last summer. I'd be happy to share my experiences with you as the sales person sits there cringing, just hoping I don't ruin their sale. ;):D

Shawn

If you make down here let me know as well, and I'll come over on my '15...if I'm in town that is. There is a Muskie in my favorite fishing hole waiting to jump on my line!

Shawn

If you make down here let me know as well, and I'll come over on my '15...if I'm in town that is. There is a Muskie in my favorite fishing hole waiting to jump on my line!

I am on call for work this coming weekend and have evening commitments Wed - Fri, so can't make MKE until next week. Got a '15 lined up in KCMO Engle Motors though: 39k on the clock, no radio, no keyless option, grey. I might pull the trigger on that one tomorrow if none of the other bike dealers come through that I have contacted. Had one in Vancouver but I think it was too much of a stretch for them and me in terms of pricing and shipping. Then there is a black one in Santa Fe with 47k on the clock but for some reason it has a new transmission?

Aaron

Edited by Devil Duc

Update:

Vancouver bike sold. Santa Fe bike transmission scared me off. Utah bike: 2014 with 7k mi is JUST out of price range. No word on PA bike; 2014 with 20k. Looks like KC bike is the front runner at this point; 2015 with 39k mi.

Bill_Walker
Lower center of gravity

Interesting observation.You would think that with the lower CofG the bike could be controlled better at ultra low speeds. However, I find my old Oilhead to be much easier to balance 'feet up' at traffic lights than my Wethead.

That's exactly the opposite of my experience, going from an '04 to a '15. I find everything about maneuvering the new bike to be significantly easier than the old one.

Same as Bill...from oil to water...water much easier. I was always nervous trying to maneuver the oil at slow or walking speed...I can't tell you how many times I almost dropped it but can tell you the two times I did....on the water never even think about it.

Agreed it feels lighter when walking it about. I am talking about these ease of balancing whilst riding it 'feet-up' at these very slow speeds. As soon as you are above walking pace it feels much lighter.

I ended up going with the 2015 bike in KC so will be flying there on June 30. Plan to pickup the bike, grab some BBQ (any suggestions?), Then head to my sister's place in Iowa City to visit and stay overnight. Then head home Sunday. Should be a fine weekend! Thanks for the tips and insight to these machines.

Aaron (not Rodgers!) in Titletown

Yummy! I am going to try and get the sales guy to buy lunch if I buy a RAM mount from him, set up for my phone to use as GPS on the way home. This should be convenient since he is picking me up at the airport right about lunch time. Plus he can probably write it off, I know that I would do that if I were him!

• 2 weeks later...

Following up... Bike is a huge improvement over the 2007. Home safe. Got bbq at Wabash. Mmmmm. Bike feels like a totally different bike. CG does feel lower, power difference is huge, tech is a vast difference, seating is more comfortable to the point I can go twice as long before needing a break. To me it feels like pegs are more forward. More buzz in the grips (maybe due to bad front tire???) Panniers feel cheap. Trans is the exact same feeling to me. Can't say too much on handling because shame on me I didn't ask about tires and figured they would let me know if they were worn since I was doing fly and drive. Was told there was 1000 mi on the set and I believe that on the rear but the front is more cupped and worn than the one on my 07 with 12k on it. Not real pleased with how the sales guy didn't handle it, so much for a good reputation. I really shouldn't have assumed anything. But happy to be back home safe to my wife and baby girl.

Bill_Walker
Can't say too much on handling because shame on me I didn't ask about tires and figured they would let me know if they were worn since I was doing fly and drive. Was told there was 1000 mi on the set...

Maybe he meant 1000 miles left on the set. Averaged between front and rear.

The man was adamant about the tires having only 1000 miles on them. I can believe that about the rear but I got a new set today and there's no way the front is that way. I'll try to figure out how to post pics sometime over the next few days with comparisons between the one on the bike and a new one and one from my 07 that I know has 12k on it and ask for opinions. Bugs me because new tires put it over my budget and I was buying via fly and ride expecting full disclosure. In retrospect I should have asked him to throw in a tire but he was in a way where it was hard to reason with him and I just gave up trying to talk about it since he refused to listen and

kept talking over me in an elevated volume. He did offer to pay for a plane ticket home but refused to apply that money to the price of the bike. It was just an odd situation. And again, shame on me for not asking for pictures before hand. Live and learn: never assume anything. In all I am pleased with the bike though. She's a mean mo-sheen for sure.

I have a 2014, now got 57,000 miles, long rides - no major problems at all:

Replaced rear tire pressure sensor (not a battery problem - it just went intermittent)

Very slight weep from one of the coolant pipes (not the water pump hole) - but only when the bike has stood outside in freezing conditions.

At the last service the GS-911 showed a fuel pump fault. This was a glitch, now done 7,000 miles since and the fault has "healed" itself.

Interestingly I did just have a slight leak of water into the right front storage box, hmmm - must look at that (I have the extended 5yr warranty)

Its a great bike, fast, willing under all road/wet conditions and even not too bad on gravel with decent tires - (I can recommend Avon Trailriders)

Geoff

Good evening all,

I am looking to upgrade from an '07 to a '14 and wonder what the latest advice is on what to ask about and watch out for on the 14's. Thanks!

Just traded in my 14RT June 30th on a new 18RT, the 14RT was a 43 month love fest ( and 107,4416 miles ) one magnificent machine for long distance or playing in the twisties. Only had one major problem with it ( at roughly 73,000 miles ) , one of the bearings on the front universal joint failed and the driveshaft had to be replaced and that was covered under my extended warranty.