IGNORED

06 RT Stalling

Qball 16

A couple times recently, I've stopped after long stretches on the hwy & my bike stalls / won't idle after re-starting. It stumbles for a brief period, then clears up & runs fine again. No warning lights on the dash during or after.

Any ideas of things to check or look at?!?!

A couple times recently, I've stopped after long stretches on the hwy & my bike stalls / won't idle after re-starting. It stumbles for a brief period, then clears up & runs fine again. No warning lights on the dash during or after.

Any ideas of things to check or look at?!?!

Afternoon Qball 16

Your problem has all the hear marks of an idle stepper getting lost (ie losing counts)

The steppers also act as throttle followers so track the throttle motions, after a long highway ride with no stopping or idling then a lost stepper can

& will cause a stall at first stop after exiting the hiway as it is LOST so it thinks it is at the correct counts but is way behind on count position (ie closed up too far).

Problem is, there are no failure codes on the steppers as they have no real time feedback to the fueling computer. It is a VERY DIFFICULT thing to diagnose

without a known good functioning stepper to swap into the bike, then ride for a while to see if the problem goes away. If the problem goes away then you

picked the correct stepper to substitute first. If the problem is still there then swap the removed stepper into the other side & ride it for effect.

BMW calls the stepper an " IDLE CONTROL DEVICE" & unfortunately they are just under $200.00 each. (requires 2, one on each throttle body)

My '06 did this at about 96k miles. It was intermittent at best. Key off and back on and it cleared up.. for a bit. Then intermittently while it was running, it would do it again.

When it happened, I was able to connect my GS-911 and found the Idle circuit was turned off due to an overload condition.

Eventually, I found my wiring harness wore through the insulation on it, the frame powder coating (presume it's powder coated) at the steering neck. It was grounding out the EGR circuit which also was the same as the O2 sensor heating element and idle stepper motor power circuit.

Good luck!

My '06 did this at about 96k miles. It was intermittent at best. Key off and back on and it cleared up.. for a bit. Then intermittently while it was running, it would do it again.

When it happened, I was able to connect my GS-911 and found the Idle circuit was turned off due to an overload condition.

Eventually, I found my wiring harness wore through the insulation on it, the frame powder coating (presume it's powder coated) at the steering neck. It was grounding out the EGR circuit which also was the same as the O2 sensor heating element and idle stepper motor power circuit.

Good luck!

Afternoon Nick

That would definitely cause an engine stall but you would think it would stall randomly without the need for long hiway stretches to get the problem to occur.

That Grounded EGR circuit is sort of puzzling as the BMW 1200 hexhead doesn't have an EGR valve, doesn't even have a provision to mount one, & definitely doesn't have a wire in the harness for one . About the only thing that I can think of that would be on that circuit with a wire running near the steering head would be the Tank Breather Valve (US bikes only). I wonder if somehow the GS-911 thinks the Tank Breather Valve is an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)?

Oops, I bet you're right DR. I recall the GS-911 called it an EGR valve.. but it has been a while. If the tank breather valve vent line goes to the charcoal canister, that's the one.

Cheers

• 8 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 4:09 AM, RobinW said:

Greasing the steppers fixed mine.

Resurrecting an old post here, but my stalling issue is becoming a bit more frequent (and frustrating) when on longer rides... I'm curious about this as a possible stop-gap measure before I bite the bullet and replace one or both of my stepper motors - to the tune of $295CAD, each :(

A couple quick questions - what type of grease did you use, and were you able to actuate the motor while it was off the bike to grease the entire shaft/post/arm???

dirtrider - please feel free to chime in here with any advice

Cheers!

Afternoon Q Ball16 

Resurrecting an old post here, but my stalling issue is becoming a bit more frequent (and frustrating) when on longer rides... I'm curious about this as a possible stop-gap measure before I bite the bullet and replace one or both of my stepper motors - to the tune of $295CAD, each-- You probably only need to buy one as you can install it in one side first, then if the problem goes away you picked the correct side, if problem is still there then swap the original back & install the new one on the other side.

A couple quick questions - what type of grease did you use, -- Grease is a temporary fix as the REAL PROBLEM is stripped threads in the motor drive mechanism. If you grease it then you won't be able to test  the system until you get the stalling returning again while on your trip.

And were you able to actuate the motor while it was off the bike to grease the entire shaft/post/arm???-- Never 'EVER' try to run or operate a stepper while it is removed from it's Throttle Body. The stepper pintle will screw itself out so quickly that you can't stop it, & once they screw themselves out  they are darn near impossible to get to go back in.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Q Ball16 

Resurrecting an old post here, but my stalling issue is becoming a bit more frequent (and frustrating) when on longer rides... I'm curious about this as a possible stop-gap measure before I bite the bullet and replace one or both of my stepper motors - to the tune of $295CAD, each-- You probably only need to buy one as you can install it in one side first, then if the problem goes away you picked the correct side, if problem is still there then swap the original back & install the new one on the other side.

A couple quick questions - what type of grease did you use, -- Grease is a temporary fix as the REAL PROBLEM is stripped threads in the motor drive mechanism. If you grease it then you won't be able to test  the system until you get the stalling returning again while on your trip.

And were you able to actuate the motor while it was off the bike to grease the entire shaft/post/arm???-- Never 'EVER' try to run or operate a stepper while it is removed from it's Throttle Body. The stepper pintle will screw itself out so quickly that you can't stop it, & once they screw themselves out  they are darn near impossible to get to go back in.

Thanks D.R.!!!

I guess I was going with the theory that on a 13 year old bike, if one's gone faulty, the other won't likely be too far behind...

But I suppose if I buy one and get the issue sorted, if it ever crops up again I'll know which one is the most likely suspect ;) 

Cheers!

All right, one Idle Control Device is on order with my (semi) local BMW dealership!  I guess I'll flip a coin to pick which side it's getting installed on first...

In terms of installation, is there anything I need to be wary of?  It looks like it just unplugs/unbolts & the new one plugs/bolts right back in.  Anything else?  I'm thinking I should probably zero the steppers with my GS-911 once installed - or is the key on start-up sequence enough?

Cheers!

22 minutes ago, Qball 16 said:

All right, one Idle Control Device is on order with my (semi) local BMW dealership!  I guess I'll flip a coin to pick which side it's getting installed on first...

In terms of installation, is there anything I need to be wary of?  It looks like it just unplugs/unbolts & the new one plugs/bolts right back in.  Anything else?  I'm thinking I should probably zero the steppers with my GS-911 once installed - or is the key on start-up sequence enough?

Cheers!

Afternoon Q Ball16 

No big deal to install just be sure the pintle isn't extended too far & contacting the seat (don't force it in fully if it doesn't go in easily, if it doesn't seat properly STOP then post back here.

As for zeroing it, no need to as the fueling computer  automatically re-zeros them at every key on (reason that the stalling usually goes away after a stall  then KEY-OFF then key-on  re-start.