IGNORED

R1100RT, mirror falling off

Steve burford

Steve burford

HELP....I've got a mirror that falls off going over bumps. One side is good (left) one isn't (right). I've replaced the pointed thingies and the gripper thingies...to no avail. Anybody got a suggestion in the way of a positive mount system that will keep this pesky mirror attached? I've got those leads or whatever you call 'em to not let the whole thing go crashing to the ground.....

Any assistance, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

HELP....I've got a mirror that falls off going over bumps. One side is good (left) one isn't (right). I've replaced the pointed thingies and the gripper thingies...to no avail. Anybody got a suggestion in the way of a positive mount system that will keep this pesky mirror attached? I've got those leads or whatever you call 'em to not let the whole thing go crashing to the ground.....

Any assistance, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Afternoon Steve

The first thing you have to do is figure out WHY the mirrors are falling off, might be as easy as adding some small washers under the pins to allow them to go deeper into the mirror clips, or just adding a couple of very tight fitting "O" rings to the clips, or, if nothing else works then adding some wire loops to the backs of the mirrors then feeding the wire loops into the fairing & using a spring or small bungee to hold inward tension on the mirrors to hold them in place & tight.

Yeah, if you replaced the two parts that mate together and it's still falling off, then follow DRs suggestions. Those two parts replaced should give you a tight fit.

Another thing I have done Steve is I have bolted an Automotive ring Terminal on the inside of the upper Fairing and put some wire on it. Then Drilled a hole on the inside of the mirror and wrapped some wire around that hole on the mirror side. This way if something happens and the mirror comes off, the mirror just hangs there instead of falling to the ground and cracking and or worse. Some food for thought.

Steve burford

Good idea DR & Michael. Thanks!! I'll try the washers first. Get those pins to go a bit further into the clips just might work. Will keep you posted. Got some 'tethers' I'd made up when I first got the bike Dughawk so the falling to the ground isn't an issue. I was thinking of a bracket, screwed in to the fairing that has a tiny tab that extends into the base of the mirror's underside. Drill a small hole in the underside of the mirror body and run a screw into the tab and thus secure the mirror body to the fairing with a positive attachment point. However, I'll try those washer 'spacers' first and see if that works. Again, will keep you all posted as to success or plan B.

Steve burford

Good point Jake. Already did that...and there was some lube on the pins. Not any longer!

Explored the washer idea. I'd forgotten....to get to the nut(s) on the back of the pins...the whole lower side panel has to come off. So the next major service will be the time I try the washer idea.

Thanks gents, appreciate the ideas and suggestions!!

Steve burford

So finally put my thinkin' cap on after a cup of coffee this morning and realized I could put about a 45 degree bend in one of my almost junk 8mm box end wrenches using a bit of heat to warm up the metal. This allowed me to snake the wrench back up inside the fairing hole that's exposed when the mirror is removed. Hold the nut with this contraption, I turned the pin with my 3mm allen wrench to loosen ONLY the pin, not remove it. Put a 2mm thick horseshoe washer in between the fairing and the shoulder of the pin and snugged the whole thing down. Not tight, just snug. Got a positive CLICK on the mirror when I reattached it. I'll take it for a ride later on today (it's 90 something outside right now...glad I've got an A/Cequiped shop!!) and check it out.

Again, thanks for the ideas gents...appreciated 'em all!!

Steve burford

BTW, I've got that washer idea as a 2nd attempt if the above doesn't completely solve the situation. Only this time, I'm going to drill out the gripper retaining rivet that's in the mirror base. Put a washer underneath that base of the gripper and reattach it with another, longer rivet. Thus moving the gripper out a bit also. That's plan B.....

Normally washers are needed after the bike has fallen on that side one too many times.

The bracket in the fairing gets pushed back and yes, washers can help , but you can also carefully pull the bracket out a bit after determining where it's bent,

The female retaining "spiders" if all fingers and ring intact should have a bit of lube on them.

Steve burford

Hum...good post Tri750! That bike's been on it's side a couple of times. Looked at the bracket that the pin goes in to and it doesn't appear to be bent...but to your point, it doesn't take much! Just came back from a short ride and the mirror stayed on...so I'm saying this issue is at least handled if not solved. Thanks!!