IGNORED

1150rt-p Sidestand replacement.

dughawk

Hey all,

The bike...... 2002 1150rt-p ( Casterated)

As I have been on here and posted a couple of times regarding things, Here is my newest challenge.

The Situation.....After a full inspect of the bike, The Police mechanics mounted a kick stand on this girl and the kickstand is cracked just under the sensor. The bolt holding the kickstand is stripped out ( as we might all recall, this is a torx type head. ( so in other words, I am clueless on how they stripped that head out BTW) So I am forced to replace the whole assembly. I ordered one from Ebay cheap enough and referred to the following diagram to help me to take the center ( aka centre) stand off so I can replace the sidestand. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/911233/Bmw-R-1150-Rt.html?page=328#manual

The Challenge.....So far it seems easy enough... I secured Ursela ( the bike is named Ursela) and took all the necessary bolts out easy enough EXCEPT..... The bushings... I put a 10mm hex head and I commence to remove the bushing but I keep turning and turning and turning......I was hoping I would not have to pull both bushings and the springs on the right side of the bike... or do I need to?

I looked on the interwebs and the googly box and even our own Forums looking for any procedure to see if I have to yank the whole side stand off..... I am hoping I wont have to..... but....

Hey all,

The bike...... 2002 1150rt-p ( Casterated)

As I have been on here and posted a couple of times regarding things, Here is my newest challenge.

The Situation.....After a full inspect of the bike, The Police mechanics mounted a kick stand on this girl and the kickstand is cracked just under the sensor. The bolt holding the kickstand is stripped out ( as we might all recall, this is a torx type head. ( so in other words, I am clueless on how they stripped that head out BTW) So I am forced to replace the whole assembly. I ordered one from Ebay cheap enough and referred to the following diagram to help me to take the center ( aka centre) stand off so I can replace the sidestand. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/911233/Bmw-R-1150-Rt.html?page=328#manual

The Challenge.....So far it seems easy enough... I secured Ursela ( the bike is named Ursela) and took all the necessary bolts out easy enough EXCEPT..... The bushings... I put a 10mm hex head and I commence to remove the bushing but I keep turning and turning and turning......I was hoping I would not have to pull both bushings and the springs on the right side of the bike... or do I need to?

I looked on the interwebs and the googly box and even our own Forums looking for any procedure to see if I have to yank the whole side stand off..... I am hoping I wont have to..... but....

Afternoon dughawk

I'm not exactly sure what to are dealing with on this as the RT-P bikes can be different or have been modified in the past.

You are probably going to have to remove the center stand bearing on the side-stand-side & pull the bearing & stud out of the other side far enough to the get the side stand bracket out & new one back in.

Are you holding the other side center stand bearing while turning on the side-stand-side center stand bearing?

Thank you Dirtrider, I will attempt this tomorrow afternoon. You have been spot on with all your other advice so far brother... Thank you.

I have only the Clutch and clutch seals( outside my ability on the clutch, going to hire that done.) left to replace and I will be working on the Tupperware after that. ( you can tell it was dropped a couple of times). After that she has had all her 40k Service done and she will be refurbished.. I have to decide to go for the replace the key option or the FOB option for security.

Thanks again Dirt Rider, I was able to replace the whole assembly without pulling the springs or the other bushing. It is all back together to include snaking the sensor cable back around the starter and all... which ended up being a bigger PITA than the side stand replacement.... Onto the next challenge...refurbing the plastics.