IGNORED

No Horn yesterday

Dave P

96 R1100RT, yesterday the horn stopped tooting. Fuse looks ok. Lines to the horn look tight. Is there also a horn relay to check / replace? Thanks, Dave

There shouldn't be a relay in the factory set up. I had that happen to mine a while ago. I pulled the wires off the horn to check them with a voltmeter, they tested fine. If I remember it right I also put a 12v input directly on the horn to test it and it worked. Put the wires back together and the horn worked again and continues to work now. I use my horn once year when the bike gets inspected, and usually the day before inspection to make sure it works.

96 R1100RT, yesterday the horn stopped tooting. Fuse looks ok. Lines to the horn look tight. Is there also a horn relay to check / replace? Thanks, Dave

Afternoon Dave

Yes, your 1100RT has a horn relay. You can swap it with a similar looking relay in the fuse box to see if that makes a difference.

Horn relay should be 3rd relay in from the left (shifter side) in the front row of the fuse box.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I tried the relay swap and tried several different fuses, still no horn. Up near the horn the lines go into another relay, I'll need to take the right side panel off to investigate that. Don't know if that relay is a stock arrangement or something a PO put in there. Dave

Hmm, I tried the relay swap and tried several different fuses, still no horn. Up near the horn the lines go into another relay, I'll need to take the right side panel off to investigate that. Don't know if that relay is a stock arrangement or something a PO put in there. Dave

Afternoon Dave

Well, if there is a 2nd relay in the horn circuit up front then it definitely isn't stock. Could be a power relay someone added for second high-amp horn.

That might be- it's a loud freaking horn. 2 horns actually. And I love a loud horn on a bike. Guess I need to go in... Dave

Michaelr11

Looking at my earlier post I got the relay wrong, of course there's a relay for the horn. It's in the fuse box. I was confusing my Airheads and my R11RT. But, my advice to you regarding testing the horn with a ground and 12 volt lead is still my advice to you.

That might be- it's a loud freaking horn. 2 horns actually. And I love a loud horn on a bike. Guess I need to go in... Dave

Morning Dave

Before going in, listen or feel the horn relay in the fuse box to see if it is clicking when you push the horn button. No clicking means the problem is in the relay activation part of the circuit.

If the relay clicks then you will have to chase down the horn wires under the front.

If all the horns go through that (up front) added relay then maybe there is an in-line fuse feeding that relay that is blown.

Checking/testing the in-fuse-box horn relay----

If you can find the pin numbers in the horn relay socket then pin (1) & pin (3) should have 12v on them with the key ON. (if not then check fuse (4).

pin (2) is power out & goes to the horns to power them.

pin (5) goes to the horn switch. (pin 5 should go to ground when you push horn button)

With key-on, If you jump pin (1) or pin (3) to pin (2) that should sound the horn.

DR- I think the horn relay (under the seat) clicks when I push the button. I'll double check that tonight when I get home. Dave