IGNORED

Weeping oil sight glass.

AviP

wUaeFe7.jpg

The oil sight glass on my 2000 R1100RT started weeping about 3K miles ago. Bike has 33K miles on it. There are never any drips or puddles in my garage but the oil level always falls below the sight glass. Should I replace asap to avoid a disaster? I've read the various weeping oil sight glass threads but I don't mind being reminded again.

Edited by AviP

The oil sight glass on my 2000 R1100RT started weeping about 3K miles ago. Bike has 33K miles on it. There are never any drips or puddles in my garage but the oil level always falls below the sight glass. Should I replace asap to avoid a disaster? I've read the various weeping oil sight glass threads but I don't mind being reminded again.

Afternoon AviP

When they get to seeping like yours is they about one cold to hot cycle from blowing the sight glass out while riding & dumping all the engine oil out all over your foot & rear tire.

Old plastic lens sight glasses come out & replace easily, new all glass lens sight glass is a REAL PAIN to remove install and unless you are creative, inventful, & careful the new glass lens can end up broken & inside your engine. If you break a new (glass lens) sight glass the cost of that just about covers having the dealer install the first one.

The Fabricator

When I worked at a MC dealership, had a customer ride in an R1200C that blew out a sight glass.. Luckily, he was in town, about a mile away.

I replaced mine 2000 R1150GS. Wasn't too bad. Lube it up, keep it reasonably square when driving in. Used a pipe same OD as seal around the glass, smaller than hole. I like a long pipe as opposed to a socket so I have more control of the angle for driving.

Loud and clear. Will replace asap. Does the dealer use a special tool that we DIYers can't get? Also, is this part# from the boneyard correct?

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/11118523906.html

Evening AviP

Yes, that is the correct sight glass from BB.

As for tools?-- The dealer definitely has special tools to remove & replace the sight glass. On the old (plastic lens) sight glass you could just run a screw into the lens then pry/pull the old one out then use a socket or piece of pipe to install the new one. Pretty difficult to damage those old plastic lens sight glasses.

On the new replacement sight glass they are a very tight fit to press in & the glass runs out to almost the OD of the rubber so without a special installer/driver it is VERY easy to break the new glass lens then end up with broken glass inside the engine. It c-a-n be done at home with a good fitting driver but there is also great risk of breaking the lens.

You will need to lube the new sight glass to install without breakage but you can't use a lube that stays on the rubber as that can allow the sight glass to pop out or work it's way out.

Best lube is Brake Clean but when using that you REALLY need to know what you are doing & be able to work fast as it dries up & evaporates extremely quick. Windex glass cleaner also works OK as it will eventually evaporate after installation. In the old days we used to use tire mounting lube but that takes a long time go away.

You can do it yourself but breaking the glass in the new lens will take most of the savings out of doing it yourself when you need to buy the second one.

Below is the new procedure, it includes the 1200 engine so disregard the retaining ring information as your engine doesn't have a retaining ring.

Remove/install sight glass click here

Just out of curiosity, what is the maximum PSI pressure pushing behind the sight glass with the engine running or at full throttle?

Just out of curiosity, what is the maximum PSI pressure pushing behind the sight glass with the engine running or at full throttle?

Morning kalali

Depends, On, how much piston blow-by, engine RPM & loading, crankcase breather restriction, amount of oil in crankcase, etc.

Engine crankcase breathes through a small timed vent port so the crankcase pressure varies throughout it's operation.

Both pistons go out & come in together so at BDC the crankcase internal volume is much smaller than at TDC.

Normally not a lot of internal pressure but there can be from time to time. Obviously enough to blow the sight glass out on some bikes at certain times.

Just take the oil filler cap off then run & revv the engine, that should get the point across.

Just take the oil filler cap off then run & rev the engine, that should get the point across.

Just don't have your eyeball in line with the hole when you do it!