IGNORED

Brake Failure Light

Rapala 50

As of late, every so often while riding, my Brake Failure light comes on after after a coast to complete stop. If I turn the ignition off and back on it goes away,I've connected my gs911 up to the bike and it says there was a brake fault code but is not currently present. Anyone experience this problem ? Fluids and pads are fine ....

As of late, every so often while riding, my Brake Failure light comes on after after a coast to complete stop. If I turn the ignition off and back on it goes away,I've connected my gs911 up to the bike and it says there was a brake fault code but is not currently present. Anyone experience this problem ? Fluids and pads are fine ....

Afternoon Rapala 50

Yes, a number of riders have experienced that but it could be from a numbers of different failure sources.

To really tell you much we will need the stored failure code (if it has any) or a current failure code.

It could be as easy as a front wheel sensor cable rubbing a brake rotor, or a rear wheel speed sensor pig tail stretched too tight, or as complicated & expensive as the rear servo motor brushes sticking, or ????????????.

Evening Rapala 50

The 24048 & 24049 codes can both be caused by a sticking rear servo motor brush (doesn't mean that it positively is but a real good chance that sticking motor brush(s) are causing those failure codes).

Sticking servo motor brush or brushes are a known problem on some of the the I-ABS gen-II braking systems.

It is somewhat repairable at home but a person really needs to know what they are doing & be very familiar with disassembling & re-assembling a difficult to disassemble ABS module.

My suggestion is to call Module Masters & give them the failure codes as hopefully they can give you a repair option & repair price.

Thanks DR, did a little more research and found your suggestion on the brush motor to most likely be the problem. Module Master seems to be the go to for repair, their cost is $ 250 with a 5 year warranty. Getting to the unit seems to be a chore in its self though ...

I did it here. Twice. Shipping to/from module masters was out of the question.

I cut the bearing off with a dremel. Serious stuff.

But it is an effort to simply get the ABS out.

Search for how to videos if you must but just take it slow and be methodical.

Remember, if your sending it away it will be some time before you put it back together.

You'll need to remember how. photos.

Edited by RobinW