IGNORED

Re: IPad Air 2 with cell Battery

Skywagon

I have an IPad air 2 with cell I bought at the apple store in Feb 2015. At the time it was the latest greatest. In recent months the battery has begun to discharge in minutes compared to hours. It will run 50 minutes or so when it use to run 6-7 hours...So silly me I go on-line, talk to a rep for 30 minutes while they run some test. They give me an option to go to Best Buy or Apple Store to have a battery installed. I opt for Apple store and make an appointment. If you have ever been walking in is not a good idea as you may wait 2-3 hours...So...I got there today 10 minutes early and they check me in and have me wait at a wait spot...then about 20 minutes later they move me to the genius bar where I am expecting to have them change my battery..Nope...they tell me Apple doesn't change batteries as the machine is too delicate...but we will allow you to trade this one in for a new one for $300. Knowing a battery is about $100 installed, I said ok. They send me to the IPad wait desk and I wait there for about 30 minutes. The person has no clue why I am there and I explain. He goes and talks to they guy who sent me there. He comes back and says here you go, we can set this one up for $330. It has half the memory and doesn't have cell...ok how much for that....$550...and your old machine. Since we are replacing it new no warranty comes as your old warranty is expired. OK how much if I just buy it new as if I don't own one already...wait for it....$550...So I get mad and leave. When I originally talked to the on-line Apple person she told me Best Buy was authorized apple repair so could go there....Off to Best Buy we go.....We don't do them here we have to send it off. How long will that take....can't tell you. Do you have an estimate...no it varies...is it like days, weeks, months, etc...can't tell you....arghhh.

Now.....Hey folks with the wisdom of this board any advice on battery change? It does work plugged in with no issue but I use this in my plane with aviation software so running on battery for hours is important. I don't want cords all over the place

One thing that was funny and somewhat annoying...the apple store looked at my device as being 3 years old as if I had brought in 2 tin cans and a string..they didn't even know what model it was.

Edited by Skywagon

That's why I got rid of my I phone and switched to a google phone several years ago. Less cost and better service if/when you need it..

Got 7 minutes to watch a video?

. There are other videos found on this topic. I chose this one because it's short. It might save you $500 or convince you that an external battery is not so bad!
Joe Frickin' Friday

See iFixit.com. These guys have repair guides for a bunch of electronic devices, along with parts and tools to do the work. It doesn't look like they specifically have a guide for replacing the iPad Air 2 battery...but their display replacement guide appears to give you complete access to the battery; all you need at that point is parts (battery, replacement tape to reinstall screen, possibly replacement tape to secure battery).

Looking at TheOtherLee's video, the notes contain a link to www.fixez.com, a similar site with guides, tools, and parts. And they do have your battery, for about $20. Add in $30 worth of tools and other parts (e.g. tape), and you're all set; the tools may come in handy in the future to repair other devices. Didn't see the screen reinstall adhesive strips at fixez.com, but iFixit has those.

szurszewski

The problem with the Apple stores is that they have sooooo many people crowding into them, as you mentioned, they also need to employ soooooo many people - seems the quality of those employees now ranges wildly from true Apple experts to folks who might as well be working the shoe section of Target.

Are you willing to be without your iPad for awhile? If so, I'd try calling Apple and seeing how much it would be to replace your battery if you mail it in. I would hope they'd at least be able to give you a better idea of turnaround than BestBuy did...but maybe not. In any case recently at least they were replacing batteries for $99 plus like $7 shipping. Maybe that offer is no longer good, but maybe the folks you talked to in the store were just confused (certainly sounds like they all had at least slightly different ideas at least).

I'm solidly in the Apple Universe, but the Apple Store experience has gone down the tubes. A few years ago, you could count on a knowledgeable, service-oriented response when you walked in the door. Now, it's hard to even get someone to help you check out an item you've found on your own. Equally important, the legion of smart guys and gals with a “we'll fix that” attitude has been replaced with a cadre or young bureaucrats whose basic mindset is that the customer is an idiot.

I still find their products to be solid and reliable (albeit pricey), but the Apple Stores have gone way downhill.

szurszewski
I'm solidly in the Apple Universe, but the Apple Store experience has gone down the tubes. A few years ago, you could count on a knowledgeable, service-oriented response when you walked in the door. Now, it's hard to even get someone to help you check out an item you've found on your own. Equally important, the legion of smart guys and gals with a “we'll fix that” attitude has been replaced with a cadre or young bureaucrats whose basic mindset is that the customer is an idiot.

I still find their products to be solid and reliable (albeit pricey), but the Apple Stores have gone way downhill.

Yep.

I was in the mall last night (rare occurrence but it was hot and we wimped out riding a little early and went in to enjoy the AC for awhile before going to see Solo) and there was a guy at a kiosk replacing an iPad Air battery. No problem he said - does it all the time - $100 or a little more depending on which model exactly; all done while you wait.

You still have malls in Texas?

I have had a lot of luck with Batteries Plus installing batteries in things that have non replaceable batteries. Call ahead, and see what they will do. They even warrantied not to break the items with a replacement policy.

Kind of cool.