IGNORED

Bike in the Shop

RTJohn

Last year my 2013 RT developed an oil leak on the left side. I couldn't see where it was coming from and I assumed the worst. I thought the main seal was leaking.

I took it to West Valley Cycles for repair. They told me the cam chain follower/tensioner seal was leaking on the left cylinder. They repaired it for a real reasonable price and I got it back in a few days.

I was servicing my bike last week for a trip I was taking on the 18th. I noticed an leak again on the left cylinder. I cancelled my trip and took the bike to Burbank BMW. They haven't started on it yet since the shop seems pretty busy. I'm thinking its the same thing. Bummer.

The left side cam chain tennsioner is difficult to get to. You need to remove some hoses and the left side throttle body. It is sealed by a copper crush washer. Maybe the previous person who put fixed it did not tighten it properly to get the crush washer to seal it maybe it came loose. It will be interesting to find out what caused the leak. Putting the cam tensioner back in is a real pain unless you have a 15 mm ratchet box wrench. I did not have one and I tried for about 45 minutes to get the threads started and could not do it. I ended up going out and buying a set of ratchet box wrenches to do the job. Keep us informed on what was the cause.

Roger L

Edited by Rogerl

Roger I try to do as much as I can myself, filters, fluids, spark plugs, etc. There are some things I know I can't do. This was one of them.

There was a known issue with the tensioner on the left cylinder. Mostly the GT's but there have been some RT's recorded. I'm not sure if was a warranty issue or not back then. Dealers were addressing the problem at no cost to the owner in some cases. Like I sad it was a while ago. Details have slipped my memory.

That's interesting. I think the issue last year was the same thing. When the shop calls again I'll mention it to them.

There was a known issue with the tensioner on the left cylinder. Mostly the GT's but there have been some RT's recorded. I'm not sure if was a warranty issue or not back then. Dealers were addressing the problem at no cost to the owner in some cases. Like I sad it was a while ago. Details have slipped my memory.

CORRECTION, I meant to say GS model instead GT popped up.

I have a a 2014 r1200r mine was wet in that area but not 'leaking' yet..I used a crows foot on a wobble extension and snugged it a bit..seemed to do the trick

• 3 weeks later...

I got my bike back last week. The seal was loose and they tightened it. I questioned this because this is the second time it's leaked. I talked to the service manager and he said they guarantee their work for 90 days. In my case if it leaks again to bring it back and they'll take care of it. I won't pay full price.

Keeping my fingers crossed.