IGNORED

15 R1200GS with 67k

MoteroNC

I owned a 09 R1200RT with 45K and I am looking to purchase a 15 R1200GS with 67K. Any concerns with the mileage or things to look for? Appreciate those that have reach that mileage to give me some tips.

Only concern is, are you getting a good deal on it with that mileage? Not that it's worn out but that's some pretty heavy duty riding in three years.

Pat

Agree lots of miles and there is some paint damage. Looks like the muffler has some surface rust as well. I can deal with restoring cosmetics, more concerned about engine, suspension and electronics.

RichardSpag

Although I have a 2011 rt, much of the running gear is essentially the same I think. My bike has now done 112,000 miles in UK weather all year round. I don't know what the weather gets like where you come from or if the bike has been used in poor conditions - so much of what I say will be very subjective!

The chassis and running gear paint finishes are not very good and may show signs of blistering, cable chaffing due to over tight zip ties (from the factory assembly) can cause a variety of exciting symptoms at the most inappropriate times (instrument pod blanking out, engine immobiiser come on at speed, etc sort of stuff). Corrosion will be a major problem if used on salted roads and not wash, dried and tucked up in bed with a BMW blanket (only joking on that last point!). I think that your main check points should be:

1) up to date on recalls and software updates

2) proof of servicing (but dont get too upset if this is not the case - I have always run my engine oil to 10,000 miles before changing and have no lubrication related issues to report)

3) if it has the all singing, all dancing magic BMW suspension, check that it actually adjusts when you examine the bike -if not, this could be expensive to put right

Cheers

richard

• 2 weeks later...
Yeeha! Stephen
there is some paint damage. Looks like the muffler has some surface rust as well. .

Beware a hurricane submerged vehicle.... Big prob in Texas right now. Some are being sold out of State.