IGNORED

2004 R1150RT Engine Oil Seepage

venturer434

I suggest a better picture !

That can be the oil drain plug if a new crush washer isn't used every time, I THINK you are showing oil from the left side, so could be the oil level sightglass or the cylinder base gasket.

Clean off the area and the side of the engine and check in a week. See if you get a better idea of where.

An old school trick is clean off really well, spray the surrounding area with spray anti-fungal foot powder, let dry. The powder will give you a clean canvas and after riding, the oil will leave a trail of where it originated from.

IF the base gasket, I vote leaving it be until it worsens into a drip. If the sightglass, replace it immediately, if the crush washer, replace it every time you change the oil.

I am seeing some traces of engine oil per the attached picture. Any suggestions?

Morning venturer434

As Tri says you really can't tell much from the picture.

That is the Right Hand side of the engine but we can't see enough to tell where the oil is coming from. Might not even be

engine oil as a leaking front fork seal can allow fork oil to blow back on the engine (make sure the R/H fork seal isn't leaking)

Oil usually drips down from the top or blows back from the front so anything from a cylinder base gasket, to oil thermostat leaking,

to engine temperature sensor seeping, to front seal seeping, to oil cooler lines or fittings seeping, to crankcase vent hose or fittings

seeping, to front alternator support cover seeping, to ???????????

Clean it up a best you can then watch it after each ride to maybe catch the point of seepage.

venturer434
I suggest a better picture !

That can be the oil drain plug if a new crush washer isn't used every time, I THINK you are showing oil from the left side, so could be the oil level sightglass or the cylinder base gasket.

Clean off the area and the side of the engine and check in a week. See if you get a better idea of where.

An old school trick is clean off really well, spray the surrounding area with spray anti-fungal foot powder, let dry. The powder will give you a clean canvas and after riding, the oil will leave a trail of where it originated from.

IF the base gasket, I vote leaving it be until it worsens into a drip. If the sightglass, replace it immediately, if the crush washer, replace it every time you change the oil.

Tri750 thanks for your valuable suggestions. Attached is the picture looking at the right side of the engine. Regular Oil change drain plug / oil sight glass / cylinder base gasket are eliminated and not the source of leak.

The screw plug (item 11) you see is a part of the lubrication system per the parts fiche and the leak seems to come from there. Apparently that has a crush washer (item 10) as well. I have not opened this screw plug.

Link below:

http://parts.maxbmw.com/a/BMW_2004_R1150RT/_51507_5829914/Lubrication-system-Oil-filter/11_2795.html

Attached is a picture for better orientation

I am seeing some traces of engine oil per the attached picture. Any suggestions?

Morning venturer434

As Tri says you really can't tell much from the picture.

That is the Right Hand side of the engine but we can't see enough to tell where the oil is coming from. Might not even be

engine oil as a leaking front fork seal can allow fork oil to blow back on the engine (make sure the R/H fork seal isn't leaking)

Oil usually drips down from the top or blows back from the front so anything from a cylinder base gasket, to oil thermostat leaking,

to engine temperature sensor seeping, to front seal seeping, to oil cooler lines or fittings seeping, to crankcase vent hose or fittings

seeping, to front alternator support cover seeping, to ???????????

Clean it up a best you can then watch it after each ride to maybe catch the point of seepage.

Morning Dirtrider

Spot on with your assessment related to the RH side of the engine.

R/H fork leak eliminated ; Oil leaks from top are all eliminated ;

I have the tupperware and tank off as I am working to replacing/replaced the following :

- Spiegler brake lines - project in progress

- Fuel system lines (Internal/External) |Fuel Filter / Strainer - project complete

- Elast Alt Belt - project complete

- Secondary spark plug wires - project complete ( Wire was frayed)

- Spark plugs - project complete

- Hagon Shocks (Front/Rear) - project complete

The seepage seems to be from the screw plug area and oil traces start from there and seem dominant on the fins of the case.

The screw plug (item 11) you see is a part of the lubrication system per the parts fiche and the leak seems to come from there. Apparently that has a crush washer (item 10) as well. I have not opened this screw plug.

Link below:

http://parts.maxbmw.com/a/BMW_2004_R1150RT/_51507_5829914/Lubrication-system-Oil-filter/11_2795.html

6943.jpg.fbc4ade71616193c65d0545275090e17.jpg

Morning Dirtrider

The seepage seems to be from the screw plug area and oil traces start from there and seem dominant on the fins of the case.

Morning venturer434

That is the oil pressure relief valve-- You might first try to tighten the cap (screw plug) a little (I think torque is around 42nm). Don't over-tighten as the alloy block is somewhat soft.

Otherwise try installing a new crush sealing ring.

venturer434

Morning Dirtrider

Morning venturer434

That is the oil pressure relief valve-- You might first try to tighten the cap (screw plug) a little (I think torque is around 42nm). Don't over-tighten as the alloy block is somewhat soft.

Otherwise try installing a new crush sealing ring.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions DirtRider.

A new crush washer seems to a practical option. I am assuming if I open the screw plug (cap) without draining the engine oil then this will become the main outlet for the engine oil to flow. May have to plan for this project during the next engine oil change.

Is there any reason someone would have opened this in the past after the bike left the assembly line? I don't see any service items to be replaced at this area as a part of maintenance.

Appreciate any inputs.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions DirtRider.

A new crush washer seems to a practical option. I am assuming if I open the screw plug (cap) without draining the engine oil then this will become the main outlet for the engine oil to flow. May have to plan for this project during the next engine oil change.

Is there any reason someone would have opened this in the past after the bike left the assembly line? I don't see any service items to be replaced at this area as a part of maintenance.

Appreciate any inputs.

Morning venturer434

Put the bike on the side stand & you won't get much oil out of that circuit as it will be above the oil level in the crankcase. If the engine hasn't been run in a while then even the oil passage won't have much oil in it (a little will still come out though).

It shouldn't ever have been messed with but you just never know what a previous owner did by mistake.

Just be careful when removing & installing that cap as there is a pretty good spring behind it so keep inward pressure on it during both removing & installing so you don't strip the last couple of threads out due to the spring force.

Added: before getting too involved you might clean the area real clean then make sure the oil leak isn't coming from the crankcase bolt just above it.

• 2 years later...
venturer434

Update on my historic query / investigation back in June 2018.. I ended up (June 2018)  just cleaning all the area with a good residue free parts washer fluid in this area and did not take any further steps to better understand the source of oil leak..

As of July 2020 per the picture below the same area is bone dry with no new traces of oil .. The bike has almost 8,000 miles since June 2018 just as reference..

I am suspecting the following for historic oil seepage observation

1.  A Penetrating oil spray that was probably used by the previous owner to loosen the OEM stock exhaust clamp and the oil over spray may have left the residue on this area?
  2. Gear Box oil drain / fill plug residue migration? 
    1. Will have to see more if this possible.

Overall good news is that there is no new oil in this area..

IMG_2504.thumb.JPG.e02784583223f6d4aa1b44b374646f09.JPG