IGNORED

Video: penetrating oil test

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Video Summary:

A guy carries out a pretty thorough test of several different brands of penetrating oils. Among other things, he's got a bunch of lug nut/bolt sets snugged up and deliberately/evenly rusted, and he treats four at a time with different brands of fluid to see how well they work to reduce the breakaway torque. He's also got an actual penetrating test using a bolt rusted into a block of acrylic, so you can see how far down the threads the fluid actually penetrates. 11 minutes long, but you can fast forward through some parts of it; just watch the little preview window as you're fast forwarding through, so you don't miss the interesting parts.

Interesting video. I went back and watched the original video as well. I've been using PB Blaster forever. mmmm. Very modest results as far as reduced torque. And that assumes a vertical bolt that would allow for more product penetration. How often does that not happen? Next time I'm going straight for the torch.

I love it when people do science and essentially publish their results without any statistical analysis or peer review. Where's the non-oiled control group?

He's off to a good start though. I'd like to see how he deliberately rusts those nuts together.

I was struck by just how little difference any of the fluids made. I'd like to see a comparison of the best fluid vs my favorite bolt loosener; heat. Another one that might be interesting is an old-timey fluid - oil of wintergreen. When I first started working on bikes, that was one part of a two-step process that was recommended to me by an older mechanic. Apply oil of wintergreen and let it sit overnight, then hit it with a plumber's torch the next morning. But I have no idea if that worked, or simply added spirit to my bicep torque wrench.

Thanks...Interesting video....personally I use Mouse Milk for dissimilar metals and Kroil for steel on steel....If I could only use one, it would be Mouse Milk.

Where's the non-oiled control group?

:confused:

At 1:29?

Doh! I am an idiot. In my defense, it was early in the morning, and I hadn't had my coffee yet. Or maybe it was late in the afternoon, and I'd had a couple beers. I dunno. ;-)

Edited by elkroeger

I found the first video (

) to be very interesting.

Liquid Wrench actually lowered the break-free torque to less than the initial, pre-rust, torque of 100 ft-lbs.

Edited by lkraus