IGNORED

Motorcycle Camping?

Whip

I have never camped off my bike (or anywhere else).

I want to ride across the country this summer camping along the way.

What kinda tent works best?

What kinda food should I carry?

Sleeping bag?

Air mattress or foam pad.

Is there a website that lists all the places you can camp and which ones have showers, bathrooms etc.

Is it too rude to arrive late in the evening and set up?

How safe is camping?

TIA

Lone_RT_rider

Whip, I'm a novice camper, but I will give this a go. See my responses below in red. Good luck!

Blue%20ridge%20motorcycle%20campground%20002-X2.jpg

What kinda tent works best? If your riding alone a 3 man dome tent has always been good for me

What kinda food should I carry? Just snacks that keep well. I personally don't prepare full meals when I camp, others prepare differently. I eat two full meals a day while out riding and then snack at night

Sleeping bag? No input, I haven't purchased a new one in ages. There has to be better options than I currently have out there.

Air mattress or foam pad.AIR MATTRESS.....yes, I am screaming this response.

Is there a website that lists all the places you can camp and which ones have showers, bathrooms etc.

Is it too rude to arrive late in the evening and set up? Yes.....definitely yes.

How safe is camping? Verify safe, unless you try it in Central Park, NYC.

TIA

What kinda tent works best? Lots of good gear out there. I've had Eureka's that were waterproof and then suddenly failed. I'm currently on a MSR Fusion 2, and after 17 years, it's still in perfect shape.

What kinda food should I carry? None, other than some snacks. If you're in bear country, you want ZERO food on you, in your tent

Sleeping bag?Go for goose down, 20F for most summer camping. Goose down bags pack small and that's key when you're travelling

Air mattress or foam pad.Definitely. Therm-a-Rest and others keep you off the cold, damp ground.

How safe is camping? It's safe

Same here, novice advice wth no hands on experience with this product. :dontknow: WTH :grin:

But, the Quechua 2 second tents were used in the Dakar Rally this year and they look awesome. Set-up and Break-down is the biggest PITA of moto camping IMO. If you have room for its folded size, looks like a fix for the said PITA. :grin:

Pat

This is kind of a neat little website for campsites. It has free and paid campsites.

https://freecampsites.net/

When I look at tents I want headroom. I want to be able to stand up in them! Whip is a bit taller than some...but I figure he is used to compromising over that. This Alps Mountaineering has served me well for about 3 years. Listed at 72" center height, it is a bit more than that right in the center. Hardly any bigger to pack than many smaller tents, easy to put up by yourself, and has handled heavy rain very, very well!

In the warmer temps I want an air mattress. But they can be hard to blow up with no electric pump. I found a real jewel! Aerobed Pakmat rolls up to go into a hard plastic container. The container is actually a very good air pump! Pumps up quickly and without much effort. Because it is in a hard case, it can be attached outside normal cases or dry bags.

Sleeping bags are easy to figure out.

Here is a site that might have some more good info Moto Campers Forum

Dennis Andress

My tent and sleeping bag are retired. I really want to change that someday.

Tent

• Big enough to sleep two if needed, yet small enough to pack small. A one man tent is too small for all the gear you'll want inside with you.
  • A fly the covers a few feet in front of the tent's doorway i.e. a covered place to put your boots outside of the door.
  • Tents are very climate specific. My tent is too warm for the south west. Know what average low temps you expect and buy a tent that covers that. I've unfolded my tent and slept on top of it more than once
  • A waterproof bottom. The thicker material that makes up the bottom of the tent should wrap 3 or 4 inches up the sides.

Sleeping bag

• Quick drying. I've slept in a soggy down sleeping bag too many times
  • Packs small. Down squishes the best.
  • I've a tent good to something like 20 degrees. My sleeping bag is good down to zero. Together they are useful in only a small part of country.
  • A Thermarest

A cook stove and coffee pot. Because morning sucks without coffee. I have this, only with a different name. I like it because in a pinch it'll work with gasoline.

Larry,

I've done about 60 nights camping with this setup. I got mine at www.sportsmansguide.com, instead of Wallyworld, however, I wasn't sure I'd like it so I went cheap to start.

Adding the JetBoil allows me to have coffee in the morning and to have the option of a dehydrated meal either for dinner or breakfast.

tent

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Highline-4-Person-Dome-Tent-9-x-7/44488944

Bag

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Brazos-30-Degree-Sleeping-Bag/13848659

Pad

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Silverton-Tall-Self-Inflating-Camp-Pad/43195791

Stove - jetboil with French press

“Is it too rude to arrive late in the evening and set up? Yes.....definitely yes.”

So, how late is too late?

I would say after 9pm you are getting there late. Daylight to set up camp is very much an advantage anyway, so planning to have that is helpful. I do a lot of rv'ing and most places will have a "Quiet Time" posted. Usually starts at 10pm.

KOA's are rather dependable places to tent camp. Most will have showers. The real treat is State Parks, many have very nice bathrooms and shower facilities. But it is hit and miss, research is required to find out what they have.

Dennis Andress

I used to carry a couple cans of soup or even hash so I could make a meal if I needed. Aluminium foil is handy for baking a potato or cooking some meat. Stop at a market on your way to the campground for fixins.

Dennis Andress
I would say after 9pm you are getting there late. Daylight to set up camp is very much an advantage anyway, so planning to have that is helpful. I do a lot of rv'ing and most places will have a "Quiet Time" posted. Usually starts at 10pm.

KOA's are rather dependable places to tent camp. Most will have showers. The real treat is State Parks, many have very nice bathrooms and shower facilities. But it is hit and miss, research is required to find out what they have.

KOAs rock. Be informed regarding state parks. Here in Washington a night in a state park costs the same as a Motel 6.

Lots of similar topics over at advrider.com in the Equipment section, like this one: https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/camping-gear-for-beginners.1289928/. Or just put "Camping" in the search box. Too many ideas there to repeat here, there are whole books written on the subject.

Don't throw stuff on your bike and head out cross-country. Start by sleeping in your back yard, preferably in the rain. Fix your breakfast before you "go home". Then do some dress rehearsals away from home. Pack the bike with all your gear and ride to a local campground. Even if you don't have time for a full weekend away, stay out overnight and commute home in the morning to do your chores. You will learn what you need and don't have, and what you have and don't need. Taking too much stuff is the most common error when camping.

When selecting gear, look at the packed size of tents, sleeping bag/pad, cook gear. Think about how you will pack it on the bike. Bungee cords are not secure.

In general, backpacking gear works well, but weight is less of a concern on a bike. No need for the more expensive, less durable, ultra-lightweight stuff.

I like a three-man tent for myself so I can put my gear in the tent and still have room to move around. A free-standing tent is nice when the ground is too hard to drive a tent stake, or when an unseen rock requires relocating the tent. A "vestibule" helps keep muddy boots out of the rain and the mud out of the tent.

In my case, "camp cooking" is very basic, so a small pot with a lid, a plastic coffee cup, a pocket stove and a canister of butane is sufficient for boiling water and heating canned goods. I usually plan for my main meal to be at a restaurant while I'm travelling.

A sleeping pad is essential for comfort and insulation. Pick a sleeping bag rated for at least 20 degrees colder than you expect to need, the "ratings" are a joke.

Google is your friend for locating web sites featuring camp sites and their amenities. Just search on "campground". Also try adding "free" or "motorcycle" to your search terms. I avoid most private campgrounds. They tend to cater to the RV folks, with sewage hookups and electric for noisy air conditioners. I usually prefer the national park/forest sites for more natural settings, quiet, and lower cost, but showers are rare. (Look into the Senior or Annual Pass.) State parks tend to fit in the middle, but are more likely to have amenities like hot water, flush toilets and shower houses. Sometimes a motel is nice after a few nights of camping to shower and regroup, maybe wash out some clothes.

I try to set up camp before dark. Besides potentially annoying your neighbors, some campgrounds fill up early, so late arrivals might not find a spot. It's harder to see rocks and roots when picking a tent site, and easier to lose tent stakes and such. In the dark, I've set up on poison ivy, animal trails and pedestrian paths by mistake.

I never had a safety or theft problem while camping. I don't leave gear lying around, most goes into the closed tent if I'm off hiking or sightseeing for the day. Netbook and GPS are locked in my panniers.

Edited by lkraus

Talk to me about food choices and equipment needed.

Say I get to a campsite an hour before dark maybe 7pm in the summer, I don't want to get back on the bike and have not ate yet?

I may not have eaten much all day and wants to have some scotch and a hot meal?

What are my options?

You don't need no stinkin tent. Didn't you sleep on the ground in your areostich in the pet area of a rest area once?

Now that a real outdoorsman! :thumbsup:

szurszewski
“Is it too rude to arrive late in the evening and set up? Yes.....definitely yes.”

So, how late is too late?

I disagree with this. If you are courteous it's not an issue. Which bike are you taking? If you have straight pipes and crank the stereo while you are setting the tent, then yes that's rude. If you are rolling in quietly and setting up a small tent then don't worry.

Generally 10pm is quiet time. If we find ourselves setting up late next to campers who are clearly already in bed we'll be extra quiet. If they're still up and having beers we'll probably have a beer with them first :)

Dennis Andress

Cooking in a campsite is like grilling at home, without all the tools and accouterments. Practice grilling with just foil, knife, fork, salt and pepper. I preferred to eat diner at a restaurant before getting to the campground, and then cooking breakfast in the morning. Breakfast is harder to cook, but cooking cleaning, packing, went well together.

Pick your daily destination around lunch time. (Call and make reservations if needed.) Find out if the campground has firewood or charcoal available.

The Fabricator

There is a huge learning curve to enjoyable camping. I have been camping off my motorcycle and bicycle since my early 20's. Now 67. I doubt I have stayed in a motel more than 10 times in my life.

One item I regard as an INNOVATION. A tarp. I prefer the silver-brown plastic unit.

What happens with camping while traveling is 'Where to put things that are packed on the motorcycle when it all gets un-packed.' I prefer to camp down dirt roads, jeep trails, and such. No tables. No grass. Nada. Just solitude. So the first thing I do [after removing helmet] is spread out the tarp and start un-loading. Conveniently, I have wrapped the sleeping bag and air mattress in the tarp. Now take off coat, gloves, helmet, etc., place on tarp. No more balancing things on the seat.

Incidently, I usually don't balance my helmet on the seat. I get off the bike, walk a few paces away, dig a hole in the ground with my heal, place the helmet in the hole, upside down.

At night, I place things on one half of the tarp, fold the the tarp over, covering all my gear, weight the edges with rocks. This protects against dew and rain. Not rodents. Keep all food in saddle bags.

I use a 2 person tent with doors on both sides. An rain fly. A rain fly is worth 10 degrees. Not to mention rain. A door at the end is hard to get in and out. Keep your shoes under the rain fly. Hardy for middle of the night sojourns. Get a light you can suspend from the top of the tent. Tents usually have a shelf up top. A head-mounted light for night use.

Cooking food is a quantum leap in difficulty. The stove, the pots, the preparing to cook, the scorched meals, the clean up. Squatting on the ground, apprehension about pot tumbling off stove dumping dinner. Minimum 1 hour. If you insist on hot meal, hit a restaurant at 6. Scotch at camp. Or more scotch at camp. A non-cook dinner cheese, bread, canned meat [salmon!, oysters!] mustard.

I do cook dinner. Chop vegetables, boil, add 1/2 can of refried beans, canned meat, whatever. Stay away from melted cheese. Hard to clean up. Also sauces with fat. Rolled oats with peanut butter for breakfast. Coffee. Count on cooking one course meals. Now you need soap, water, scrubby.

Down bags are smaller and warmer, but don't stay warm when wet and are hard to dry. Laundromat dryer. Synthetic is a little bigger but does stay warm when wet. Get a bag good for freezing weather. '4 season bag'. Bring head to toe cotton under wear. Dry socks. You may think the socks you wore all day are dry. They aren't. Cotton gloves. If needed, I start out with it on, then strip as I warm up. I made a flannel liner for my bag. Almost sinful the way warm flannel feels against my skin. Therma Rest air mattress. Has insulation and air. Air only mattress can be cold.

If you are taking a camera, leave the big one at home. I have a cool pix camera, shock proof from 6 feet, water proof, fits in my hip pocket. Wallet in other pocket, hands free. These are just snap shots. 'Bike in front of xxxx, yyyy, zzzz. Me with aaa, bbb, ccc.'

Why would some one attack you? Are you that sexy? Dripping with jewels? Choosing you as responsible for why they are repressed, exploited, persecuted, not getting a good campsite? Size up where you are. Mostly have to deal with their dogs. You have lots of neighbors, most on vacation. Smile and say hello. Don't talk politics.

6946.jpg.04d9fe4bc8f4321afbec64843259f7c5.jpg

I like to use a good quality thermos for morning coffee, purchased the night before. This and a Cliff Bar are usually good for breakfast. I have used a small one pot cooking system, but then there is clean up. I did not see mentioned, but highly recommend the use of a camp chair. I use mine to put my stuff in while setting up the camp, and then sit in it to have a drink. Camelback has some great bottle holders that can be hung on most anything. I use these on the outside of the bags. I have 4 across the back of the bag. One is for bourbon, one for toilet paper, one for water, and one for the coffee thermos.They move with the bag, and can be accessed without dismounting them.

Send me a PM, and we might be able to travel together a bit.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I've taken a few moto trips that involved camping, but only one in which we prepped/ate food at the campsite. Lacking the ability to refrigerate anything (and much spare storage space on the bike), we just bought cans of stew (or similar) and heated them up on a portable Coleman camp stove similar to this one. Breakfast was usually just instant oatmeal, maybe a banana or something.

If you're looking for more variety, and have packing space to spare, visit an REI and check out their dehydrated food selections. These are primarily intended for backpacking, but since they are compact and lightweight, they would work well for motorcycling too. I recall some questionable flavors and textures from freeze-dried foods while backpacking back in the '80s; I expect things have improved since then.

Since luggage space is at a premium, you'll want to have compact, lightweight equipment. In addition to freeze-dried food, stores like REI also sell equipment for backpackers, who have similar needs. Take a look and see what they've got.

How safe is camping?

When I was a kid, just about every year we headed west for three weeks with a station wagon and a pop-up camper. I don't remember any incidents involving people that would make me say camping wasn't safe. OTOH, there was one incident when I was in college, backpacking with my brother and parents around Mont Blanc in France: during one night while we slept, someone cut the side of my parents' tent, reached in and took some stuff. Fortunately nothing critical was stolen; my dad had his wallet (and our passports) inside his sleeping bag. You can leave your tent, sleeping bag, and dirty laundry alone if you want to go out for the day, but use some common sense; anything you really don't want stolen should be locked up on the bike while you're sleeping or riding.

In some national/state parks you'll need to take measures to deal with bears. Campgrounds in Yosemite and elsewhere have a steel "bear box" at each campsite where you store your food overnight. Bears there can recognize coolers by sight, and will break into cars to get at them. When I camped there back in 2000, I took the cases off of my bike and stored them in the bear box, just to be safe. Pretty much anything with an aroma will attract their attention, so lock up your toothpaste and deodorant along with your food. In places without bears, you'll want to store your food in hard cases so other animals (squirrels, chipmunks, skunks) don't chew through soft luggage to get to it.

During those pop-up camper years, my parents had a national campground directory that traveled with us. Basically looked like a big phone book. Near the end of a driving day, wherever we were, my mom would thumb through the directory looking for a campground somewhere along the next 50 miles of road with the right amenities. Mike's freecampsites.net website looks similarly useful, but ISTM it might be just as easy to fire up Google Maps on your cellphone and search for campgrounds in your vicinity. Then you can even call ahead to see if they've got space. If you'll be visiting very popular places (like Moab, or Yosemite Valley), you may want to make a reservation well ahead of time.

Never say never.

A great way to see the US. Don't use highways unless you absolutely must. The back roads always have the most fun. Many state parks can be as enjoyable as national parks. The more popular ones can be a pain to find camping. If you are near them, try to get there early so you have alternative options.

I am an ultralight camper and a "gram weenie". Because I backpack, I look for camping items that serve dual uses. I use an 1-person ultralight tent (16 oz) with a bathtub floor and without a footprint. It is not freestanding and uses my hiking poles for support. It fits in a super small space and has worked great for motorcycle camping. It has been through crazy rain and I've never been wet inside. I've never had a problem with it not being free-standing.

This ends up being a personal choice, more or less. I hate the long slow process of cooking at the campsite and go with freeze dried crap heated with hot water. If your camping does not involve multi-day hikes, the local restaurant will also be an option. Pizza delivery is also possible at many campsites. My experience is with the ultralight world and my stove is a home-made Coke can stove. Google it.

Sleeping bag?

I don't skimp on the bag. Again the focus is ultralight and I use one of 2 bags depending on the expected temperature. For 35-degrees or higher, I use a Western Mountaineering HighLite bag at only 16 oz. It's hard to beat and well known amongst ultralighters. For 0-35 degrees, I use a Marmot Lithium bag at only 32 oz. They are both down bags and whilst there are a lot of horror stories around down bags getting wet, it's really the backpack you carry it in or the tent you sleep in that matter. For comparison, most 3-season bags weigh 3 lbs and winter bags around 5 lbs.

Always a foam pad for me. Again I use the narrowest one and half length if possible. The foam pad doubles as the structural element of my backpack as well. After multi-day hikes, my back thanks me.

Sorry but my campsites have no showers but restrooms with an open sky are all around. :grin: My tent stakes double as an ultralight shovel and the crap just goes 6 inches under.

Most campsites have a quiet time sometime after 9/10pm. If you arrive after that, just be quiet.

How safe is camping?

As safe as hiking. I've been at campsites on the AT that have been mice infested and I've happily setup outside in the rain rather than contract some lung disease. I've been close to lightning strikes more than once, you can tell by the static and deafening and instantaneous lightning and thunder. Try not to set up under or next to a tree. I've been nearly attacked by a grizzly but he preferred light meat instead. :grin: He was hospitalized with a mauled hand. Just be aware of the weather, fauna and flora and plan accordingly. In bear country, do not leave food outside. Use a bear canister or campsite provided option. DO NOT EAT IN YOUR TENT. In spider/scorpion country, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SHOES OUTSIDE THE TENT. As to the people, I've never had a people issue. And always good fireside stories to share amongst other campers.

It can all seem intimidating and most websites will make you carry the world. Be smart about it and you'll be happier. Do not go for the biggest backpack, the coldest sleeping bag, the most food, etc. Find what works for you and go from there. I reduced my pack weight from 45 lbs to under 25 lbs for 3-day hikes. In the WINTER! In summer, my backpack feels like a fanny pack. And there are people way, way, more ultralight than me. The reason I mention ultralight so much, is that it is important from a transportation perspective if you are a motorcycle camper. PACK LIGHT!

Whatever you do, it will be memorable!

During those pop-up camper years, my parents had a national campground directory that traveled with us. Basically looked like a big phone book. Near the end of a driving day, wherever we were, my mom would thumb through the directory looking for a campground somewhere along the next 50 miles of road with the right amenities.

Yup, that was the big Good Sam directory they published every year. Crazy, but they still print that thing. You'd need a half a side case to carry it.

We use a two person backpacking tent chosen for light weight and compact design.

Maybe just a Rockstar to get you going in the morning and some jerky or crackers. If you are going to cook we need to have a long talk about equipment. For non-cooking trips, we carry a solid fuel pocket stove and make instant coffee in the mornings because "somebody" has bad memories of riding before coffee. Ours is an Esbit.

Sleeping bag?

We use Mountain Hardware Laminina 35 along with Thermolite bag liners and a foam travel pillow. Very light, compact and versatile. I strongly prefer synthetics to down.

We use Exped Synmat UL 7 along with the Exped Schnozzle... again very light and compact.

In the western US you can camp on BLM or Forest Service lands except where prohibited. Dispersed camping is the way to go, IMHO. But we rarely do this on the bikes. See below. As for lists, all the national park and forest service and commercial outfits have their lists.

I consider anytime before full dark to be considerate, but in any campground there is always someone that comes in late.

How safe is camping?

You might not want to camp in inner city Detroit.

TIA

We generally plan on camping when we will be staying put for several days at a time. It's just not a great way to make any miles. In the mornings, you should try to get all your gear dry before packing up. Or, maybe stop midday and dry things out. Unless you are using paid campgrounds (not generally tent friendly and almost as pricey as motels these days) you need to start looking for a site early, spend considerable time looking for sites, do your setup, etc, and then dry out and pack in the morning. We can't get anywhere doing that. So usually we get a motel when covering any distance.

I hope you won't be heading to FL in August, because I'll be heading through Salida. Can't impart any wisdom other than sharing this link. Jan's view has my vote: Camping = slow. Might be exactly what you are seeking.

I like to use a good quality thermos for morning coffee, purchased the night before. This and a Cliff Bar are usually good for breakfast. I have used a small one pot cooking system, but then there is clean up. I did not see mentioned, but highly recommend the use of a camp chair. I use mine to put my stuff in while setting up the camp, and then sit in it to have a drink. Camelback has some great bottle holders that can be hung on most anything. I use these on the outside of the bags. I have 4 across the back of the bag. One is for bourbon, one for toilet paper, one for water, and one for the coffee thermos.They move with the bag, and can be accessed without dismounting them.

Send me a PM, and we might be able to travel together a bit.

Plus 1 on the camp chair, probably not needed in campgrounds with picnic tables but surely needed at remote camp sites or rustic camping only.

I have an old beat up (small packable) foldable backpack type camp chair that (so far) has always been right where I left it when I return to the campsite. My good friend, that I occasionally camp with, has had a number of new high, tec high dollar chairs (last one was a really small packing very comfortable chair from REI), BUT his high tec chair isn't always at his campsite when he returns.

If it looks expensive & high tec it also looks inviting to walk away with.

I will also highly second the above posted suggestion to practice loading bike & a few local camping trips (like mentioned-- even in the back yard) as motorcycle camping kind of evolves as you progress though your motorcycle camping life.

I no longer carry any cooking gear (unless traveling to VERY REMOTE w-a-y off the beaten path camping areas).

I also pack & gear up a LOT differently for a week or weekend in one place at an off-road site vs traveling from day to day just using the camp sites for a quick overnight stop. When traveling (breaking camp every morning) no way do I want to cook a meal let alone clean up a cooking mess at each night's stop. Lot of campgrounds have some food & coffee available & a great number have a restaurant or convenience store near by to get a bit to eat & drink.

I do carry some breakfast bars & a small pouch of breakfast cereal as I like to break camp early then ride for a ways before eating a good brunch.

If you camp in a regular camp ground (not remotely by yourself) there is usually some automotive camper types there that will have a full pot of morning coffee. If they are up & outside I usually just offer to buy a cup of coffee from them (I have not yet had anyone take me up on the pay for it part).

As for tents & sleeping pads/sleeping bags-- the suggestion to get one rated at least 20° lower than you plan on sleeping in is a GREAT suggestion as most sleeping bags are rated for a fully clothed person with bear like cold weather resistance.

I usually also pack a pillow sized soft bag with a tie end that I stuff with clothes, riding gear, anything soft to use as a pillow. I also take a beanie type sleeping cap as a even a good cold weather sleeping bag won't keep the top of your head warm if you roll around in the bag at night.

If I take heated riding gear with me then I will sometimes take a small 110/to/12v inverter & thin extension cord with me so I can use my heated gear in my sleeping bag (if the trip plans include cold weather heated gear for riding then a good chance that your sleeping arrangements might benefit from that same heated gear). (obviously won't work in a camp ground without power to each site)

I usually take 2 & sometimes 3 roll-top dry bags, one for the wet tent & wet ground cloth (if you break camp in the rain or early in the morning then your tent will be soaking wet, you don't want to place any dry or good clean clothes next to a soaking wet tent or muddy ground cloth).

You can line the inside of the largest dry bag with the deflated sleeping pad as that will be clean & hopefully dry (if the dry bag is sized properly that is a great place to pack the sleeping pad with all your other dry soft things inside that.

That then opens up the top case & side cases for easy day access things like riding gear, drinks, etc.

If over 60 years old then don't forget a good (high capacity) pee bottle. The over 60/pee bottle thing should also have a bearing on tent choice. When I was in 20's & 30's I had no problem with a 2 man short tent, as I got older I swapped out to a 3 man tent that was a little higher with a vestibule on each end (tent vestibules are a GREAT feature as they allow dry storage with little extra packed tent size), now in my later years (yep older than dirt) I MUST have a 4 person tent with a 8'x8' or 9'x9' base size as I need the interior height to be able to function in a fully upright kneeling position (see reference to pee bottle above).

Problem with most (not all though) 8x8 or 9x9 base tents is they are not backpacking tents so the support rods don't fold up short enough to go crosswise on the rear seat of a motorcycle without sticking out each side too far for tight trails or tight situations (you can buy custom tent rods with more sections but shorter when folded but they are not cheap. (I made my own from 3 person tent rods adding in an extra section).

Again-- pick your gear (this thread is a good start in your picking), then see how it loads up (don't commit to first loading iteration but try many different loading approaches until it loads easily, STAYS PUT AT 100MPH in a 50+ mph cross wind, RE-LOADS easily back to the same configuration, etc ) -- Then go riding with the bike loaded up & try camping a few times (the more practice the better) --It has taken me years & years & years to come up with a comfortable, dry, easily loaded, acceptable motorcycle camping gear & even that changes by bike I am on, intended camping usage (staying in one place or traveling every day), time of year, weather expected, etc.

I guess my one recommendation is to not try to take too much on your motorcycle, buy your food as you eat it, anything that you find that you need as you travel & learn just stop at a Walmart, or REI, or ??? & buy it as you find that you need it (& if you find that you are carrying something that you don't use or need then give it away or throw it out).

Yep, forgot to add an important mention-- make up a camping gear list, keep one on your computer or phone (so you can keep it up to date) then place a printed list with your camping gear. As you are packing for your weekend trip or long distance trip refer to that list & check off everything as you load it (since I have been doing this for the last 15 years or so I seldom leave important things (like tent poles or tent stakes) at home like I did in my earlier camping days)

Plenty of good advice above. One thing I'd add is, consider a hammock!

As long as you have at least one fixed point to hang it from (tricky, but I once used the back of the bike as the second anchor but you can almost always find suitable trees or man-made structures) a hammock provides several distinct advantages over a tent:

- hammock + rain fly is substantially smaller and lighter than almost any tent

- a more comfortable, cooler and dry night's sleep (whether from a leak, seeping from underneath or condensation, it's hard to stay totally dry in the rain in a tent!)

- gives you more flexibility (vs. securing a large, level and well-drained site with no roots, rocks or ruts!)

- very quick set-up and take-down

The first and most common misconception is that you'll be uncomfortable curled up like a banana, but assuming you have the right hammock (for your size) and have set it up correctly, you lie/sleep across the hammock approx 45 deg from the hang line. This creates a stable, almost completely flat sleeping surface. And again, since you're off the ground, you never worry about rocks, roots, unexpected streams or crawly things!

The first time I hammock-camped I took the tent too, just in case. Had to set up camp in the rain, then it proceeded to rain all night and into the next morning. I first set the rain fly higher than normal so I could stand & walk around under it, then lowered it for better protection at bedtime. Stayed warm and completely dry, no roots or rocks poking me all night, and just moved the hammock out of the way for a large, dry area to sit, cook and eat under the rain fly (can't fire up a jet-boil stove in the tent!). I haven't used a tent since!

I have a Blackbird hammock from WARBONNET OUTDOORS, more expensive than others but well worth it for the built-in mosquito net, storage "shelf" and footbox, as well as a double-layer bottom for a therma-rest or sleeping pad. I also have a Warbonnet Superfly rain fly. You could go with a less costly fly, but the WB hammock is worth every penny! The Warbonnet website has lots of great informative videos...check it out!

https://www.beyondthetent.com/hammock-camping-beginners-guide/

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/

One more, not hammock related: https://aeropressinc.com/

Oh, if you plan on being late, past or short of your intended destination your phone is your friend. Many hard core campers have suggested the use of the app iOverlander, paired with the app maps.me.

Plenty of good advice above. One thing I'd add is, consider a hammock!

As long as you have at least one fixed point to hang it from (tricky, but I once used the back of the bike as the second anchor but you can almost always find suitable trees or man-made structures) a hammock provides several distinct advantages over a tent:

- hammock + rain fly is substantially smaller and lighter than almost any tent

- a more comfortable, cooler and dry night's sleep (whether from a leak, seeping from underneath or condensation, it's hard to stay totally dry in the rain in a tent!)

- gives you more flexibility (vs. securing a large, level and well-drained site with no roots, rocks or ruts!)

- very quick set-up and take-down

The first and most common misconception is that you'll be uncomfortable curled up like a banana, but assuming you have the right hammock (for your size) and have set it up correctly, you lie/sleep across the hammock approx 45 deg from the hang line. This creates a stable, almost completely flat sleeping surface. And again, since you're off the ground, you never worry about rocks, roots, unexpected streams or crawly things!

The first time I hammock-camped I took the tent too, just in case. Had to set up camp in the rain, then it proceeded to rain all night and into the next morning. I first set the rain fly higher than normal so I could stand & walk around under it, then lowered it for better protection at bedtime. Stayed warm and completely dry, no roots or rocks poking me all night, and just moved the hammock out of the way for a large, dry area to sit, cook and eat under the rain fly (can't fire up a jet-boil stove in the tent!). I haven't used a tent since!

I have a Blackbird hammock from WARBONNET OUTDOORS, more expensive than others but well worth it for the built-in mosquito net, storage "shelf" and footbox, as well as a double-layer bottom for a therma-rest or sleeping pad. I also have a Warbonnet Superfly rain fly. You could go with a less costly fly, but the WB hammock is worth every penny! The Warbonnet website has lots of great informative videos...check it out!

https://www.beyondthetent.com/hammock-camping-beginners-guide/

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/

One more, not hammock related: https://aeropressinc.com/

I like it

I just did a quick scan of this and my have missed it if someone else has already mentioned a "jetboil". After taking care of tent and sleeping bag my next purchase would definately be a jetboil. You can boil a liter of water in about 2 minutes, it self stores and takes up minimal room. With it, the coffee press that goes with it and freeze dried mountain house meals you can travel light and eat well. Mine goes on my bike or in my pack anytime I think I may be out far enough and long enough to need nourishment. You can always have a quick cup of hot coffee or tea and a hot meal. These, and the aforementioned scotch go a long way toward ensuring your comfort!

A few pics of my hammock set-up below. As Larry and others have said tho, if you go this route please practice a good bit before setting out. Can't have an angry Whip coming after me at the Un! :wave:

2015-09-04%2008.47.00_zps4jj5ckw4.jpg

2015-09-04%2008.37.17_zpsxo8xqeko.jpg

2015-09-04%2019.32.49_zpsr5d7io1k.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I think you may have been hacked. I don't see the following question: Where do you pack the alcohol? Edit: Just found a scotch reference. Disregard.

Edited by Danny caddyshack Noonan

Camping is one of those things where "it is what you want it to be". And your comfort level depends on how much comfort you think you need (as opposed to actually need), how much you're willing to spend, and how much junk you can, or want to cram onto the bike. There are people out there who hike the whole pacific crest trail with little more than a daypack, and other folks who fill a suburban but can barely survive one night in a tent.

It's maybe a mistake to set off, as a novice on a cross country camping trip, on a motorbike. Or it could be one of the best trips of your life. One thing to keep in mind, and phsychologists have tested and proven this: The key to happiness is starting out with LOW expectations. You're gonna get wet. It's gonna snow. Bears will bite your face off. And then, when none of that happens, it's just a glorious trip! Definitely do a few short car or moto camping trips before setting out on a cross country maiden voyage.

Camping on a motorbike is more akin to backpacking than it might first appear, simply because of the space available. You'll do well to select items that are marketed toward backpacking. Shop at places like REI or Aerostich. Good quality retailers like that don't carry junk, so you can get the "low end" tent and it'll still perform well. Avoid getting a tent / gear at Walmart and the like. But then again it depends on your budget.

And camping in general is a rather vast topic. If it were me, I'd get a BOOK. There's lots of titles out there that might be appropriate. Distilling it all down to a few paragraphs we can write about here, just isn't practical.

Take some advice with a grain of salt. I saw one guy here suggested never to have food in the tent. Well... yeah, that's a good practice, and mandatory in bear country. But as usual, the answer is "it depends". At a KOA in Indiana? You could probably get away with slathering yourself with peanut butter before bedtime. Not a great idea mind you, but I've seen plenty of people do about as much.

Generally, when we go on moto-camping trips, they look like this: Get out the AAA camp book (campground listings) and tour book (Motel listings and tourist info). Ask a friend to get those for you, if you don't have AAA. Get out the KOA list. I hate KOA because they generally look like a gravel parking lot, but they are handy sometimes, and well outfitted. Call ahead, see if you need reservations. Try not to commit to one single destination that's far away. Try to arrive before supper time. Stop at a restaurant for meals if you're feeling lazy, or stop at a grocery store prior to arriving at the campground for the night. We usually keep a couple cans of chili etc. on board, just in case, but we'll get one night's worth (supper and breakfast) of fixin's late in the afternoon. And with the motorbike, I'll admit to staying in a motel every few nights, especially if we're tired or the weather isn't cooperating.

Some campgrounds have better facilities than others. Flush or pit toilets. Showers. Laundry. Firewood for sale. Quickie mart. Cabins, Yurts, etc. Sometimes there isn't even any water available. Many times the showers, and laundry are coin-operated (bring quarters!). Lots of places just have an envelope to put your cash in, to pay the site fee (keep a variety of bills handy, so you don't have to put $40 in for a $22.50 campsite fee).

Generally speaking, I'd look for campgrounds in this order: National parks, state parks, city/county parks, KOA (private), BLM. They usually go in that order because of scenery, facilities, and on-site staff, but it can vary a lot.

Is it safe? Certainly. But don't be dumb about it. One time, we went to a state park. The park was "open", but the state had basically abandoned it due to funding, and it looked like a hoarde of migrant workers had taken up permanent residence. So we moved on. You're more likely to have problems from raccoons and squirrels, than anything else (due to people leaving food unattended). Guns can be problematic travelling through different states, so I'll at least keep a flashlight and a knife next to my pillow, just in case. Every boyscout knows to have a knife!

Best of luck! Come back and ask more questions!

If you go the hammock route, be advised you sleep at an angle, not parallel with the two trees to which it is tied. DAMHIK

Yeeha! Stephen

Not a camper?

Then don't skimp on your tent, sleeping pad and keeping dry.

Summer camping.

I don't use a sleeping bag. Takes up too much space and too hot. A VERY GOOD sleeping pad/mattress I cover with a sleeping bag liner (like fleece) and use another one as a blanket - if needed. (you won't like camping if you don't sleep good)

I like a tent that's all/mostly screen with a full rain fly that has vestibules. (you can store stuff outside but covered up. good for wet stuff) I like lots of airflow in summer. 2 man tents pack well but 3 man tents aren't cramped.

Staying dry. I carry a roll of light weight plastic paint cover/tarp (and duct tape) for a ground cloth and extra rain protection.

Meals. I don't cook in camp. Pain in the arse for a newbie camper to buy/pack/setup all the crap you need. A stick or wire coat hanger work great for campfire treats. Take a pot and a burner if you are a coffee drinker. Otherwise I just take snacks, and stop in the closest town for meal or a store with bread, peanut butter, cheese, grapes, etc.. I'm a Subway lover. They are everywhere. Freeze-dried meals suck... ALL OF THEM!

Looking for showers? I may get flamed, but I like KOA campsites. Lot of them and they are bike friendly. Even if they are full they always seem to find a little corner for a bike/tent camper.(specially if you are a one-nighter and passing thru) Never had a KOA turn me away. I've even camped in the caretakers front yard before. US Corps of Engineers spots are my second fav. The more touristy places have lots of campgrounds but many of them are not bike friendly.

Usually in a town with a KOA there is a really nice competitor across town.

I've never had trouble in an official campground/site including the free US Forest places.

If you get caught out and must vagabond/stealth camp.... don't stay in roadside parks. I like small town cemeteries, large highway medians with lots of trees (bring ear plugs) and behind bldgs/houses for sale that look like they've been empty for a while. Check the driveway to see if it's been used lately. Warning.... when I've stealth camped, the neighborhood dog always seems to find me looking for a handout. Even if there's not house in sight, they are still there.

Take a folding camping chair. You'll see why.

Start out getting to camp early. In the light you can set up easier, make a run to the store/town/camp office in case you forgot/need something. As you get used to the routine/setup you can start to arrive later in the day. I always try to arrive in the light. I feel it's rude to cruise thru camp and trying to set up with my headlights blazing.

Keep it simple. If you have a lot of troubles with your stuff you're gonna end up hating camping and will never try again.

All that said. I like the Big Agnes line of gear. And REI is $$$ but their service is the best. Just walk into one and tell them you are a new motorcycle camper and you'll get the star treatment.

SS

Yeeha! Stephen

Oh yeah.... take a wide-mouth plastic bottle/jug (not bragging, my aim is bad) with a good sealing lid for a Pee bottle. I hate getting in and out of the tent for that function.

Grab the flashlight, grab the flip-flops, wiggle around inside the tent, unzip the door, get my dead arse off the ground, hike to the restroom or nearest sanitary tree, doo the business and reverse order those actions. Ugggh. Just use the bottle and deal with the residue in the morning!

Some of the comments are on the long side...I'll keep it short. Jet boil, Starbucks instant coffee, no cooking, eat at a restaurant before you camp, be sure the tent poles will fit your cases, sea to summit mattress, 20 degree bag, a flask, a second flask, a hatchet, pretzel, my tent has a vestibule for boots and gear, a folding chair (ebay), bug spray, put some clothes in your sleeping bag stuff sack to make a pillow, camp shoes, citronella candle.

Not a camper?

Then don't skimp on your tent, sleeping pad and keeping dry.

Summer camping.

I don't use a sleeping bag. Takes up too much space and too hot. A VERY GOOD sleeping pad/mattress I cover with a sleeping bag liner (like fleece) and use another one as a blanket - if needed. (you won't like camping if you don't sleep good)

I like a tent that's all/mostly screen with a full rain fly that has vestibules. (you can store stuff outside but covered up. good for wet stuff) I like lots of airflow in summer. 2 man tents pack well but 3 man tents aren't cramped.

Staying dry. I carry a roll of light weight plastic paint cover/tarp (and duct tape) for a ground cloth and extra rain protection.

Meals. I don't cook in camp. Pain in the arse for a newbie camper to buy/pack/setup all the crap you need. A stick or wire coat hanger work great for campfire treats. Take a pot and a burner if you are a coffee drinker. Otherwise I just take snacks, and stop in the closest town for meal or a store with bread, peanut butter, cheese, grapes, etc.. I'm a Subway lover. They are everywhere. Freeze-dried meals suck... ALL OF THEM!

Looking for showers? I may get flamed, but I like KOA campsites. Lot of them and they are bike friendly. Even if they are full they always seem to find a little corner for a bike/tent camper.(specially if you are a one-nighter and passing thru) Never had a KOA turn me away. I've even camped in the caretakers front yard before. US Corps of Engineers spots are my second fav. The more touristy places have lots of campgrounds but many of them are not bike friendly.

Usually in a town with a KOA there is a really nice competitor across town.

I've never had trouble in an official campground/site including the free US Forest places.

If you get caught out and must vagabond/stealth camp.... don't stay in roadside parks. I like small town cemeteries, large highway medians with lots of trees (bring ear plugs) and behind bldgs/houses for sale that look like they've been empty for a while. Check the driveway to see if it's been used lately. Warning.... when I've stealth camped, the neighborhood dog always seems to find me looking for a handout. Even if there's not house in sight, they are still there.

Take a folding camping chair. You'll see why.

Start out getting to camp early. In the light you can set up easier, make a run to the store/town/camp office in case you forgot/need something. As you get used to the routine/setup you can start to arrive later in the day. I always try to arrive in the light. I feel it's rude to cruise thru camp and trying to set up with my headlights blazing.

Keep it simple. If you have a lot of troubles with your stuff you're gonna end up hating camping and will never try again.

All that said. I like the Big Agnes line of gear. And REI is $$$ but their service is the best. Just walk into one and tell them you are a new motorcycle camper and you'll get the star treatment.

SS

Steve, I like your style....and I miss ya my brother.

Some of the comments are on the long side...I'll keep it short. Jet boil, Starbucks instant coffee, no cooking, eat at a restaurant before you camp, be sure the tent poles will fit your cases, sea to summit mattress, 20 degree bag, a flask, a second flask, a hatchet, pretzel, my tent has a vestibule for boots and gear, a folding chair (ebay), bug spray, put some clothes in your sleeping bag stuff sack to make a pillow, camp shoes, citronella candle.

Good stuff..and the candle is a nice touch.

Good stuff..and the candle is a nice touch.

I kinda thought he was on to something with that flask, second flask and pretzel myself....

(who puts a pretzel on their camping gear list???)

LittleBriar

+1 on the Big Agnes stuff. I had a one man tent for a couple years. Although it was super small and light to pack, there just wasn't enough room for me and my other luggage. I bought this 3 man this year and I really like it. Just got back from a trip where it rained a couple days in a row and my gear and I stayed dry.

+1 on the Jet boil. Add the coffee press.

Finally, get a decent size dry bag to store just the camping stuff. If you ride alone, you can strap it to the pillion seat.

As a veteran of many years/miles of moto camping, there's lot's of good recommendations in this post. A couple of additions:

Headlight- make sure you have one and know where it's at BEFORE it gets dark. You'll thank me later.

Freeze dried food- there are some brands that aren't too bad tasting, but make sure you read the ingredients. Most freeze dried foods have HUGE amounts of sodium...not the most healthy diet, especially if you're on an extended trip. Personally, I'll just stop at a grocery store in the afternoon on my way to the camp and pick up what I'll cook for the evening. I'll usually leave home with a few tins of canned chicken (don't need to be refrigerated), then pick up some vegetables and pasta to go with it. Brown the chicken, throw in the vegetables, then heat water to boil the pasta. Throw it all together with some seasoning and open that local brew you also found at the grocery store. Life is good!