IGNORED

2011 R1200RT Running terrible

Fixer1969

Hello: My 2011 R1200RT (52,000 miles) has been running terrible on 93 octane. (what my local BMW shop recommends). Just rececntly experimented with dropping down to 87 octane. Seems to be running better. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks, Dan

Hello: My 2011 R1200RT (52,000 miles) has been running terrible on 93 octane. (what my local BMW shop recommends). Just rececntly experimented with dropping down to 87 octane. Seems to be running better. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks, Dan

Afternoon Dan

Something not computing with this.

If it really is the fuel then you probably just got a tank full of bad 93 octane gasoline.

The 87 should have a little less power (especially in hot weather) but otherwise nothing in, or about, 87 octane should, or could, make it run better.

D.R. I would typically agree. Usually buy at Shell or Marathon. An "old timer" that has had BMW's forever suggested I try the lower octane. I reluctantly filled up from 1/2 tank to full with 87, rode for five hours, including another partial fill up again with 87. Bike has been running much better. I'm still in the testing stage... we will see.

Roger: Filled up at two different places, did not think to look at that part of the equation.

Rode to work today and took the long way home, still running good on the 87.

Going to keep the test up this week as long as the weather holds out and I can ride.

I 'll start looking at the ethanol content.

Dave_in_TX
D.R. I would typically agree. Usually buy at Shell or Marathon. An "old timer" that has had BMW's forever suggested I try the lower octane. I reluctantly filled up from 1/2 tank to full with 87, rode for five hours, including another partial fill up again with 87. Bike has been running much better. I'm still in the testing stage... we will see.

Does that "old timer" have any experience with the newer BMWs? Things have changed over the years. BMW recommends premium fuel for the 2011 RT. The manual says you can use mid-grade with a possible loss in power and fuel economy. The 2011 has knock sensors and the vehicle electronics will retard the timing if knocking is detected. It's unlikely but it;s possible that there could b a situation where the timing cannot be retarded enough to deal with 87 octane.

Dave: Yes, he is also a salesman and rider at the BMW shop I use for service. I went into the bike side while my bike was in the shop side and we started "chatting" as usual. The problem of my bike running bad came up...his first question, "what fuel are you using?" I answered with "shell". He said, "no, what octane." I told him and he immediately suggested to try 89 or 87.

I currently have 402 miles on the 87 in highway and town situations. It's been running fine.

Morning Fixer1969

Not much of a test if you keep using the 87. About all that proves is that it WILL run OK on 87. You need to switch back to 93 to see if then runs worse again.

As I mentioned above, there is NOTHING about 87 octane gasoline that should make it run better, running 87 octane will probably make it pull a ton of spark advance out so if by chance it (87 octane) does actually make it run better (or feel like it runs better) then you should probably have the bike looked at by your BMW dealer as there is something wrong with it (like a cam out of time).

We had a problem is my area a while back as a fuel delivery truck dumped a full load of E-85 in the premium tank at a local station so THAT did cause some problems.

D.R. You are correct, I plan on going back to the 93. It has been at the shop. I am not even going to disclose the amount of time or money spent trying to find this "gremlin". The tech at my shop has been wrenching on Beamers for 30yrs. Claims to have never seen anything like this. It has had a myriad of parts changed. They were nice enough to use parts from one of there bikes instead of selling me parts. I will definitely post the results when I switch back to the 93.

Thanks...

Update...577 trouble free miles on the 87. Fuel light came on today on the way home from work. Filled up with 89...

I'll let you know...