IGNORED

side case repair

Shane J.

So on our northern BC trip, I was loading my bike one morning with the bike on the center stand in gravel. Short story is I pushed too hard cinching down a strap and had to stand there watching as the bike came off the centerstand and tipped over to the right. The only damage was it broke the metal clamp off that locks the bag ro the rack. So it looks like I have to replace the entire lock box. I see that there is a repair replacement that runs around $170. I can get a used case off ebay for a little less than that. So I see a couple of possible options. 1, I can look for a right side case and just switch the lock tumbler into the back so my keys match. Or 2, i can buy the repair kit. Or 3, can I use a left side case and remove the lock box to install in my broken right side case? Or 4, maybe take out the broken lock box and have the part welded? It looks like cast aluminum maybe?

Any advice appreciated.

Shane

Hi Shane,

I've become very adept at aluminum welding and I don't think I would attempt a weld repair for that broken lock box as its relatively thin and there isn't a lot of room for adding reinforcement. Go the ebay or repair kit route given the criticality of that part.

Good info. I kind of thought there wasn't much meat there for a weld job. And I was wondering if I could swap the lock cylinder without the donor bag having a key. So the hunt begins for a affordable donor back.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a followup. I got a set of sidecases off craigslist for $90. They were missing the keys but I was able to swap out the lock cylinders off my old cases into these new backs. I debated keeping the new lids but the color clashed so I swapped lids as well. So now I have 1 spare good back, one back with a broken clamp, and two spare lids. And my bike looks just like it did before with the exception on some nice reflectors on the new backs that i didn't have before. Big thanks to Tri750 on youtube for showing me how to remove the lock cylinders without a key.