IGNORED

Castrol Switched the Package

Michaelr11

Michaelr11

Not an oil thread! I happen to use Castrol 4T motorcycle oil for my Airheads and Oilhead bikes. It is still formulated as an SG rated oil. One of the other things that I liked about the Castrol package is that the bottle was a 1 liter container. I picked up a couple of bottles today and noticed that the bottle is now a 1 quart container. Looked back at my discarded containers and they are also quart size. This explains why the last oil change left me a little low on oil. Seems like the price for 4T might have gone up a little even though they are providing less oil than they were before. Just wanted to provide a heads up to anyone else that might not have noticed that yet.

Lone_RT_rider
Just like toilet paper; the width went from 4.5" to 4.0", the price stayed the same and NO ONE KNEW!!

Except for people with wide posteriors.....oh they knew.....they knew!

Morning Michael

I don't think that Castrol has changed anything as the 4T SG rated (mineral) has been coming in quart sizes in my area for well over 15 years now. At least at my local auto parts stores & local wholesale oil distribution center.

The BMW dealer did carry it in 1 liter containers long ago but they don't carry Castrol mineral oil products any longer.

So my guess is that the place you bought the oil from just changed suppliers or their supplier just changed sources.

Michaelr11

Not sure, DR. I used to be very pleased with my 1 liter containers of oil. Now I'll just have to buy more of them.

szurszewski

My brain is not tuned for math, but isn't the difference between them less than an ounce - like ten milliliters?

I ask this as a serious question because this is the kind of place where it may have happened, but has anyone personally measured the contents of the bottles? I have wondered if they only change the labeling.

Also, when you pour out a bottle do you let it sit long enough for *all* the oil to finally drip out? I've taken to putting empties off to one side and up-ending them, one after another, overnight into a larger mouthed bottle; it doesn't take many “empties” to accumulate a usable amount of oil. (Mostly I do this to keep as much oil as I can out of the waste steam.)

Michaelr11

It's not huge, but it is approximately 2 ounces. When I did an oil change, I would try to end up with the level in the middle of the sight glass. So, three and a half liters of oil would be about right. Three and a half quarts would be about seven ounces short. Not a big deal, just a surprise.

greiffster
I've taken to putting empties off to one side and up-ending them, one after another, overnight into a larger mouthed bottle;...

Josh,

I always knew you could party. :/:wave:

szurszewski
I've taken to putting empties off to one side and up-ending them, one after another, overnight into a larger mouthed bottle;...

Josh,

I always knew you could party. :/:wave:

I mean, you can't just waste it, right?

Also that might be why my brain doesn't math so good. I had calculated it out in my head and come up with a .28oz difference, when as is pointed out here,

It's not huge, but it is approximately 2 ounces. When I did an oil change, I would try to end up with the level in the middle of the sight glass. So, three and a half liters of oil would be about right. Three and a half quarts would be about seven ounces short. Not a big deal, just a surprise.

It seems to actually be more like 2.8 oz. So, never mind then!

Well my purchase of Melitta #4 coffee filters today was disappointing. The price has gone up and the quantity reduced from 100 to 80 in the same packaging. :mad:

szurszewski
Well my purchase of Melitta #4 coffee filters today was disappointing. The price has gone up and the quantity reduced from 100 to 80 in the same packaging. :mad:

This happened years ago to many major ice cream brands including my favorite - they went from 1/2 gallons to 1.75qts. But I quickly found a solution by simply buying two containers at a time. Ha - I really showed them!

Edited by szurszewski
hmfriedman

I buy 6 quarts of Power 1 on Amazon for $52.95, or $8.83/quart. BMW Advantec goes for $18.00/liter. You do the math and work it out for yourself, but I'm going to stick with the quart bottles of Castrol.

BTW I find that 4 quarts fills my wethead motor just to the top of the sightglass circle on an oil/filter change.