IGNORED

Straightening Front Subframe - 2000RT

CaptainKcorb

CaptainKcorb

It's sad to report that I pranged my R1100RT after many years and miles. Happily (if that word applies), it was at low speed (~5mph), and my pride took the biggest hit. The bike went down transiting from a soft shoulder to pavement, jerking to the left and falling down into a large (fortunately stationary) truck's front wheel The center fairing and headlight took the blow and Beemer Boneyard's excellent service has both those parts on the way.

My question is regarding the front subframe. It's pushed to the right about a quarter inch and slightly (less) up and back from the left lower corner. There are no cracks apparent and the windshield goes up and down smoothly. I'm thinking of banging it back into closer shape (I know it won't be perfect) for the new bits. Any tips or lessons from experience will be appreciated before I have at it with the slide hammer and sledge.

Michaelr11

You'll get close with the right tools and enough patience. I had a harder hit, when a deer stuck it's head out into the road in a curve. Head hit the right mirror and a little bit of the front nosecone. Never got the subframe entirely back into position but it's close enough. Just a slight gap where the mirror attaches to the bike.

If you're adventurous, I have a good subframe that I never was willing to try to swap into the bike. $100 plus shipping and I'll send it along to the next guy.

CaptainKcorb

Thanks for the encouragement Michael, and the offer of the subframe. I'll give straightening a shot before taking you up on it. Do you know if it's for the RT's '97 and earlier or the later ones('98-2000)? Apparently there is some subtle difference, or at least a different part number.

Edited by CaptainKcorb
Thanks for the encouragement Michael, and the offer of the subframe. I'll give straightening a shot before taking you up on it. Do you know if it's for the RT's '97 and earlier or the later ones('98-2000)? Apparently there is some subtle difference, or at least a different part number.

Afternoon CaptainKcorb

The oil coolers are different between the early 1100RT & late 1100RT so possibly the cooler mounting and/or line routing is also different.

Michaelr11

Since my bike is a 2001, I tried to make sure that I got the later part. I'll have to look the piece over to see if there's anything that can confirm if it is the newer part.

Since my bike is a 2001, I tried to make sure that I got the later part. I'll have to look the piece over to see if there's anything that can confirm if it is the newer part.

Morning Michaelr11

See if your fairing bracket has an oil cooler hose support bracket on both sides or only on one side? I t-h-i-n-k the early fairing bracket has an oil cooler hose support on each side & the later fairing bracket on only one side.

CaptainKcorb

Thanks for the clarifications Dr. In case this helps Michaelr11, here are a couple of photos of my frame oil line brackets.

This is the left hand bracket on the left frame arm by the fork tube.

DSC02313_zpswpxmbexc.jpg

This is the right hand oil line support bracket, well back on the frame arm by the gas tank:

DSC02314_zpshvnnqce9.jpg

Finally the overall front oil cooler mounts:

DSC02315_zpsisykdn9k.jpg

If we've got the same frame I'm thinking I'll be taking you up on your offer it rather than bash away on mine.

Thanks

Afternoon CaptainKcorb/ Michael

Here is the difference in oil cooler line support brackets-- CaptainKcorb, it looks like you have the lower one.

1KdJ3Hp.jpg

Well, based on these two photos above, the top photo is the subframe bracket that I have. It's available to you if you want it.

CaptainKcorb

After zooming in on the photos and eyeballing my frame I can confirm (unsurprisingly) that DR is correct. Thank you very much for the photos dirtrider, and to you Michael for your kind offer and taking the time to confirm which one you've got. Beemer Boneyard it is then.

Cheers

Clive Liddell

When I had a "heavy" tip over some 15 years ago I gave up trying to straighten the front frame off the bike... After refitting the frame and bracing the bike (against a wall) I was able to pummel and lever the frame into almost perfect line. I rigged up a straight line of string up the centre line of the bike and then measured as best I could to get symmetry.

CaptainKcorb

Happily, The Boneyard had the later 1100RT front frame so I dished for it. A two pound slide hammer wasn't making a difference and with the distortion in three dimensions I thought I might get it close but never right. Thanks again for all the input folks.

Cheers

Eckhard Grohe

Get them to pack it well as I once bought a new one and it arrived tweaked because it wasn't well packed.