BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1014377 - 07/12/18 04:44 AM Re: So you think keyless is great? [Re: Rider1200RT]  
powwow Offline
powwow  Offline

Bend, OR
Originally Posted by Rider1200RT
Originally Posted by powwow
It's quite simple on the RT to leave the key in one of the little storage pockets on top. YMMV

Be careful if you have central locking...those cubbies do lock. If you lose the key while the bike is locked, you wouldn't be able to access your extra key.

How would you lose the key when it is in that pocket?? lurk I am talking about the key FOB...

Are you talking about your spare key? If you're talking about the FOB, you also don't want to keep it on the bike when you're not riding. This causes the key and the bike to stay in constant communication and it will prematurely wear out the FOB battery.

Life happens...you control your reaction.
#1014417 - 07/12/18 04:19 PM Re: So you think keyless is great? [Re: powwow]  
John in VA Offline
John in VA  Offline

Inside The Beltway
It's quite simple on the RT to leave the key in one of the little storage pockets on top. YMMV

Be careful if you have central locking...those cubbies do lock. If you lose the key while the bike is locked, you wouldn't be able to access your extra key.

How would you lose the key when it is in that pocket?? lurk I am talking about the key FOB...

Are you talking about your spare key? If you're talking about the FOB, you also don't want to keep it on the bike when you're not riding. This causes the key and the bike to stay in constant communication and it will prematurely wear out the FOB battery.

Is this behavior confirmed? Doesn't the bike only send out a search signal when the start button is pushed and the fob responds? The alternative behavior is that the fob and the bike are attempting connections almost constantly, testing whether the fob is in range or not. I keep my fob hidden in the garage where my bike is and after 2 years the fob has the original battery.

My BMW car fob is kept in a room adjacent to the driveway where my car is parked and is always within range and able to unlock doors/lower windows, etc. and it's still on its original fob battery after several years. I suppose the car is constantly communicating with the fob?

John
'16 R1200RT (RT #5)
#1014427 - 07/12/18 07:45 PM Re: So you think keyless is great? [Re: AndyS]  
Rider1200RT Offline
Rider1200RT  Offline

FT. Lauderdale
For clarification, I keep the spare in my wallet and the key FOB either in the tank bag or the cubby on the left, depending if I bring the tank bag or not.

Oscar
2017 R1200RT
S.FL

#1014430 - 07/12/18 08:19 PM Re: So you think keyless is great? [Re: AndyS]  
powwow Offline
powwow  Offline

Bend, OR
My BMW car fob is kept in a room adjacent to the driveway where my car is parked and is always within range and able to unlock doors/lower windows, etc. and it's still on its original fob battery after several years. I suppose the car is constantly communicating with the fob?[/quote]

I"m going by what my dealer told me when I bought the bike. It has to be in very close proximity to the bike (i.e. stored in the bike or on your person when sitting on the bike) before the bike and the FOB start communicating with each other. I've noticed if I walk just a couple of feet from the bike when it's running, I get the warning that the key is not in close enough proximity, which would suggest they will cease to communicate with each other.

Life happens...you control your reaction.
#1014544 - 07/14/18 10:14 PM Re: So you think keyless is great? [Re: AndyS]  
75AV8Ret Offline
Just Joined
75AV8Ret  Offline
Just Joined

My spare plastic key is "ALWAYS" taped to the bike. If I could only remember where.

#1014552 - 07/15/18 12:31 AM Re: So you think keyless is great? [Re: AndyS]  
Selden Offline
Selden  Offline

Atlanta, GA
I had an "interesting" experience with keyless ignition in my Honda HR-V last year. My wife and I had gone to the Delta Flight Museum in Atlanta. I normally wear a camera on a case attached to my belt. I also carry the keyless thing on a fob that also attaches to my belt. When we were through and got back to the car, I unlocked the rear hatch, undid my belt, got in the car with my wife, then drove back to the hotel we were staying at.

About 10 minutes later, I went down to the car to retrieve something I had left in it. The car was locked and wouldn't open. WTF?

After thinking about it, I realized the fob must have slipped off my belt when I took off the camera case, but because my wife was in the car, it operated for me. I borrowed my wife's "key" and dashed back to the Delta museum, which had just closed, but after I banged on the door, someone opened it. I explained my situation, and left a note about the lost key. I spent about 15 minutes searching the parking lot in the vicinity of where we had parked. No key.

I got back in the car, and at the exit from the Delta campus, I stopped at the security kiosk to make another report of what had happened. There was my key, on the guard's desk! Someone had spotted it on the tarmac and turned it in.

I'm still a huge fan of keyless ignitions, and will never buy another car with a keyed ignition, but this was a teachable moment.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.
#1014575 - 07/15/18 04:40 AM Re: So you think keyless is great? [Re: RTinNC]  
Indy Dave Offline
Indy Dave  Offline

Indianapolis
Originally Posted by RTinNC
And THIS is why I got my 2016 RT without keyless and central locking

Some friends and I were discussing these features yesterday. Exactly what problem did they solve?! I also understand that techs have a hard time repairing locking case issues.

Workin' Them Angels . . .overtime
06 R12RT

Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

The point of the journey is not to arrive...

#1014702 - 07/16/18 10:22 PM Re: So you think keyless is great? [Re: RTinNC]  
goman Offline
Just Joined
goman  Offline
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RTinNC
And THIS is why I got my 2016 RT without keyless and central locking

Special ordered mine without these also. Just didn't see any need other than avoiding potential problems.

-Mark
Austin, TX

'17 R1200 RT
'00 R1150 GS
'93 K1100 RS
'88 K100RS Special ABS - SOLD
'86 R80 - SOLD, big mistake
#1014930 - 07/19/18 08:48 PM Re: So you think keyless is great? [Re: AndyS]  
Ralphie Offline
Ralphie  Offline

Upstate NY
This is my least favorite feature on the modern BMW's. Like Indy Dave, I see no real problem we solved.

Ducati makes it a bit more tolerable in that you can enter a PIN code to start the bike if you lose the key, forget the key, FOB dies, etc. The problem with the Ducati approach is they don't often include the keyless gas cap with the keyless ignition. This means you could start the bike without the FOB, you just can't put gas in it if you don't have a physical key.

Maybe we can combine Ducati's and BMW's approach?

I really wish they'd just keep with the very simple key. We need to press the button anyway. Why not just insert the key?

#1014986 - 07/20/18 01:24 PM Re: So you think keyless is great? [Re: Selden]  
TPadden Offline
TPadden  Offline

Brooksville, Fl
Originally Posted by Selden
I'm still a huge fan of keyless ignitions, and will never buy another car with a keyed ignition, but this was a teachable moment.

Wouldn’t own a touring bike without it. Every day is a teaching day for me, grandkids are teaching me to use an X Box, much steeper learning curve than a key fob - but what a hoot.

Tom

Tom
Current Stable:
04 BMW R1150RS 54,500 miles
13 Triumph Explorer 49,000 miles
15 R1200RT 52,000 miles
16 MV Turismo Veloce Lusso 6,000 miles
16 R1200RS 10,000 miles
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4