IGNORED

Oil sensor changed

profbodryak

profbodryak

Had the oil sensor replaced at Morton's BMW yesterday (with a few other things in the last 1.5 years I am getting close to the money I paid for the aftermarket warranty). When I got the bike back the service interval indicator was on. The battery was disconnected during the replacement procedure and that set the year to 2048 somehow. When I adjusted the date, the indicator turned off. But then I got on the road and the quickshifter would not work. I was back again. I guess it had to somehow reinitialize as it worked after a test drive by the service representative. Then I got on the road again and came back for the third time. Now every up rev I could hear some odd whistling noise (super annoying). It happened that it was the flapping valve in the exhaust system that needed to be lubed.

Half hour later I was finally watching soccer :)

profbodryak

Just wanted to add to this post a week later (after the flapper valve was lubed by the dealer instead of being replaced due to a lack of time).

A couple of years ago I made a post about a gearshift lever sticking on my '05 RT at operating temperatures in the summer. I completely disassembled the gear linkage, including the lever, at the time and there was a lot of build up in the opening for the pedal axle. When I cleaned it and lubed it, the problem never returned. I did conclude at the time that thermal expansion was partly the issue. Build up limited free movement of the pedal but only at higher temperatures. It was happening as a result of metal expansion and made the free play too difficult for the spring.

Same will happen to the flapper valve. I took a very short trip away from home on Wednesday but traffic was extremely bad that day. Fan was turning on constantly in traffic and there it was - the whining noise on the up-revs. Same flapper valve with same build up again. Thermal expansion limits free movement further and makes it hard on every up rev. Unless you follow instructions on cleaning it properly (and based on a variety of posts it will last you less than a year) or removing the valve entirely, you will have a recurrent problem. I would suggest replacing it, especially if you have insurance. I will be arranging to have mine replaced at the next service interval in ~3000 miles.

Hope this helps someone with the same issue.