IGNORED

Top Box Won't Un Latch

hopz

My 2014 RT came with both a 28L and 49L top boxes. Love them, but... today I wanted to remove the 49L.

They both came to me new and the key is the original. It operates the ignition and has been used many times to unlock as well remove the box (s).

Now the key does not turn and it really feels like something is stuck. Obviously I cannot remove the top box if it does not release....

I have sprayed in dry lube- but not too much. No joy.

Any ideas, tips, tricks? This is going to be a problem if I cannot get it off.... and the key does release the 28L box.

Thoughts, Ideas, Brilliant tricks and tips all appreciated.

Don't quite remember the operational sequence of the 49L at the moment but did you try putting some downward pressure on the lid? :dontknow:

Pat

To remove the case you need to have it open, remove the carpet and turn the dial. If the case is locked and can't be open that's a problem, DUH Don't forget to undo the barrel connection under the passenger seat.

Jay

Tewks... thanks, but... the issue is not opening the lid. The lid opens and closes normally and pressing inward of the key pop the latch level out- so I can open and close the lid.

What I am trying to do is to remove the top case from the bike...

strataj,

Thanks for the reply But I am not tracking your suggestion at all...

You said to remove the case you have to have it open... well that is not the way I recall things operating. Normally the key in the top case goes either of two ways... One is that you insert the key and press the key in and the Opening lever pops out. You lift that lever and the lid is able to be opened.

The other thing the key is supposed to be able to do is to turn it clockwise and the big handle pops out. Then you lift the case off and remove it. My key seems to not turn and not pop=-out handle to release it from the bike...

and There is no carpet to remove in my case.

Dial? What did do you refer to?

Hopz

Do you have the old style top box that came from the Hexhead/Camhead or the new version that came out with the new Wethead???

Who installed that top box originally ???

Did they re-key the lock to match your bike's ????

On mine, silly enough (we re-keyed it our self), plugging the key in one way won't work, but turning it 180 degree and inserting back into the lock, it then works fine.

If the lid is open you shouldn't need a key at that point. Like strataj wrote, and it's the same with my 49L case, remove the bottom carpet and unlock the case with the dial. The owners manual has decent pictures on the procedure. In my manual it's on page 145.

Sorry..just read you original post as I should have done in the 1st place.

If you can open the top box, but just can't take it of the bike, then find the thread that tells you how to re-key it, as it shows you where to look with photos, so that you can check if something has gotten mis aligned or something is stuck in there.

The question of which top case is installed has not been answered. If it's the older style found on Cam/Hex heads, the case is released by turning the key to the right (towards "release"). If operable the case handle will pop out and you pull up on the handle to fully release from bike. Maybe try a slight tug on the handle while turning the key?

OK folks... Time for me to claim insanity, or at least distraction... and plead Mea Culpa.

It is all my fault. We are in the throes of moving to a new home and things were already in the state of total confusion.

After the posting, the lubricating and the tugging it became clear the key was not going to turn.

For some un-defineable reason, I looked in the small storage space the Wetheads have. There I found a second key-ring and the frazzled brain cells popped into semiconsciousness and I recalled that- yes the bike came with both top cases but they had not been re-keyed to the bike as delivered to me. The P/O's original key were included in the deal.

I cleverly used the newly remembered keys to unlock the top-case- as designed- and it now rests in its place in the new home.

Problem solved. Sorry for the waste of time and posting space.

Haha seems I don't need a major life change like moving to a new home to

have a lapse in memory moment. The wife catches me often enough frozen like a statue trying to remember why I was wandering off in that particular direction.

Repeat this to avoid further trouble. Put pants on before going outside to get morning paper, put pants on before going outside to get morning paper

Lone_RT_rider
Repeat this to avoid further trouble. Put pants on before going outside to get morning paper, put pants on before going outside to get morning paper

:jaw::rofl:

Problem solved. Sorry for the waste of time and posting space.

You didn't waist anybody's time.

But if you get a chance, get it re-keyed as it is a real pain to have 2 different keys and if you loose the top box key, you will be in real trouble.

You need the top box key to be able to pull the lock out and that in itself is a really painful task.

But without the key, it is next to impossible to replace/re-key the lock without doing major damage to the top box.

BUT.. you can remove lock assembly and re key with just a little patience with the tool our fellow member sells, tri 750.

If I can do it so can anyone. He has a U tube on this procedure. Very easy after you understand how the lock is secured.

Box just needs to be unlocked.

Here's a link to the basic tool video.

The second to watch is the removal of the lock cyl from a 49L case in real time.

Any questions on making your own tool or purchasing one, PM me.

Good luck !

Bill_Walker
To remove the case you need to have it open, remove the carpet and turn the dial. If the case is locked and can't be open that's a problem, DUH Don't forget to undo the barrel connection under the passenger seat.

Jay

That's only true if you have the wired top box with brake light and central locking. The nearly-identical looking non-wired box is also available (and is what I have), and operates the same way as older top boxes. I have no insight on Hopz' jam problem, though.

On edit: I've now seen that Hopz found the solution of using the correct key! BTW, my top box is keyed to the ignition key, so it's clearly possible to have it done. Having a separate key is kind of a pain.

Edited by Bill_Walker