IGNORED

Rattle on startup

Puddles

New-to-me 96 R1100RT. Usually when starting there's a metallic rattle that goes away after about 1 second, as if all it wants is a little oil pressure.

Am I concerned?

I have read about the pushrod issue, and plan to replace those the next time I have the tupperware off. Videos I've seen indicate that is a constant rattle, not just at startup, although i could see it starting out that way.

New-to-me 96 R1100RT. Usually when starting there's a metallic rattle that goes away after about 1 second, as if all it wants is a little oil pressure.

Am I concerned?

I have read about the pushrod issue, and plan to replace those the next time I have the tupperware off. Videos I've seen indicate that is a constant rattle, not just at startup, although i could see it starting out that way.

Evening Puddles

Kind of a common problem on the 1100/1150 BMW boxers.

L/H cam chain tensioner loses oil overnight so it takes a short while for it to re-fill with oil after starting.

The final or preferred fix is to install the 1200 engine L/H cam chain tensioner (sometimes called the updated tensioner).

The 1200 tensioner uses an upside down piston that retains oil overnight.

The new 3 piece (updated) tensioner is identified by a 15mm hex head. The parts book lists it as 3 individual pieces + new sealing ring but

most dealers sell it as a kit.

I replaced the cam chain tensioner with the upgraded one from EME. It resolved the similar rattle nicely.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/camtensioner.htm

There is also a good video from Chris Harris on youtube about replacing it. I ended up fabricating a similarly modified spanner he uses in his video to make installation/removal easier.

One tip that wasn't obvious to me at first for the R1150 was that you need to compress the front suspension to create enough working clearance to get the tensioner more easily in/out.

You didn't indicate if the rattle sound was from the left or right. The updated tensioner is on the left (top) side so if the rattling at startup is from the right side you'll need to investigate other sources.

You didn't indicate if the rattle sound was from the left or right. The updated tensioner is on the left (top) side so if the rattling at startup is from the right side you'll need to investigate other sources.

I didn't really pay close enough attention to be sure but my sense was: left side. I'll be more attentive until I feel sure. Good point.