IGNORED

Front Brake

Mark / Brenda

Mark / Brenda

I just came back from the BMWMOA rally in Des Moines. It was about a 1,000 miles round trip and when I got back, my front rim was covered with brake dust. It was bad enough where my hands got brake dust on them off the handlebars. I put the bike on the center stand and the front tire spun easily. The front rotor is very smooth. I just put a new front tire on before I left but everything seems straight and true.

I just came back from the BMWMOA rally in Des Moines. It was about a 1,000 miles round trip and when I got back, my front rim was covered with brake dust. It was bad enough where my hands got brake dust on them off the handlebars. I put the bike on the center stand and the front tire spun easily. The front rotor is very smooth. I just put a new front tire on before I left but everything seems straight and true.

Afternoon Mark

Brakes work by friction, friction makes wear, wear makes dust, metallic brake pads make black brake dust.

Visible brake dust is fairly normal with metallic brake pads, some aftermarket brake pads are really bad for making nasty looking brake dust.

As long as there is no abnormal wheel spinning friction (brake friction) & no abnormal brake pad wear then you are good to go.

How does the rear look as the rear is usually worse than the front, as far as brake dust deposits go, due to air currents.

Mark / Brenda

There is no dust on the back brake at all, but I don't use the back as much as the front. I put the bike on the center stand only once during the trip to check how true it spun and the bike had been sitting for awhile. I was wondering if I had a bad bearing on the front axle and when I drove a long distance, it could heat up and could warp, especially when it was so hot last weekend. This is a new,(used) bike for me and only had 200 miles on the bike before last weekend. During those 200 miles, it never left dust on the front rim.

There is no dust on the back brake at all, but I don't use the back as much as the front. I put the bike on the center stand only once during the trip to check how true it spun and the bike had been sitting for awhile. I was wondering if I had a bad bearing on the front axle and when I drove a long distance, it could heat up and could warp, especially when it was so hot last weekend. This is a new,(used) bike for me and only had 200 miles on the bike before last weekend. During those 200 miles, it never left dust on the front rim.

Afternoon Mark

Are you sure it is brake dust? If riding long distances on the freeway where a lot or trucks travel it could be very fine ground up tire rubber (more sticky & smeary than brake dust).

Mark / Brenda

good idea-will check-just took for granted that it was brake dust

the only thing that baffles me is that the back rim is clean as can be

good idea-will check-just took for granted that it was brake dust

the only thing that baffles me is that the back rim is clean as can be

Evening Mark

Maybe not real surprising.

I used to use the 1150R bike rear brake pads on my 1150RT's as they are organic & those left very little visible brake dust. I'm sure that I wasn't the only one doing that as it tamed that darn low speed servo brake grab down just a bit.

If it is that fine road rubber then that would probably only be on the front.