IGNORED

Need an engine for 1997 R1100rt

Artie John

I've done a bad, bad thing. I seriously broke the engine of my 1997 R1100 rt. Seriously broke. One piston is broke in half, screwed both connecting rods, etc. Anyone have an used engine for sale?

I've done a bad, bad thing. I seriously broke the engine of my 1997 R1100 rt. Seriously broke. One piston is broke in half, screwed both connecting rods, etc. Anyone have an used engine for sale?

Condolences! You sound like you think this was your fault. What transpired?

I pretty sure that when I checked the oil sight glass, it looked full, but was in fact completely empty. Riding with a full coverage helmet and ear plugs, didn't hear anything until it was too late. When I heard the clanking noises, I tried to get it home and it locked up about 75 yards from home and I coasted the rest of the way.

You must have some great mechanical skills to undertake this. I would think that buying another RT is more economical than replacing the motor. But, I do understand the the sentiment of sticking with the bike you have. Good luck with this.

szurszewski

I had the same thought, but if he got the RT engine linked at Beemer boneyard (16,000 miles for $600), can do the work and likes the rest of the bike....well, a lot of work but not a lot of money.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only person who will pull the occasional bonehead stunt like that. Really sorry it happened. But if you are even halfway mechanically inclined, you should be able to swap that motor out without too much trouble. Especially if you have handy friends nearby who will work for beer.

That's a bummer. An engine swap is tome-consuming, but it follows a pretty logical flow. My technique was to start at the back and pull off parts until I reached the engine, then go around to the front and do the same thing. Installation is the reverse.

There are a crap ton of 1100 engines on eBay, maybe find one that is close by so you could pick it up in person and save the shipping. Dave

• 1 month later...

An update: Got the Beemer Boneyard engine, had a local shop that just employed an MMI graduate that specialized in BMW's. They did the engine swap. Put in a new diaphragm spring and friction plate, redid all the fluids, re lubed the shaft splines. While they had it apart, put in fuel line quick disconnects and installed Spiegler SS brake lines. The brake lines of course required refilling the brake system. Picked the bike up yesterday, all seems well with one exception; the ABS lights are flashing. I realize low battery charge will cause this. After charging the new battery, the lights still blink. They checked with MMI, I believe , and were told that after draining and refilling the system the ABS needs to be reset by a dealer. Sm I guess that means a trip to Motor Werks, my closest dealer.

BTW my wife is selling the 2001 Katana 600 if anyone is interested.

Edited by Artie John
An update: Got the Beemer Boneyard engine, had a local shop that just employed an MMI graduate that specialized in BMW's. They did the engine swap. Put in a new diaphragm spring and friction plate, redid all the fluids, re lubed the shaft splines. While they had it apart, put in fuel line quick disconnects and installed Spiegler SS brake lines. The brake lines of course required refilling the brake system. Picked the bike up yesterday, all seems well with one exception; the ABS lights are flashing. I realize low battery charge will cause this. After charging the new battery, the lights still blink. They checked with MMI, I believe , and were told that after draining and refilling the system the ABS needs to be reset by a dealer. Sm I guess that means a trip to Motor Werks, my closest dealer.

BTW my wife is selling the 2001 Katana 600 if anyone is interested.

Afternoon Artie

On your BMW 1100 (ABS II) system you can re-set that yourself.

First, find the diagnostic connector (located under the seat).

Then, insert one end of a wire into the middle socket of that connector.

Then, ground the other end of that wire to a (clean) metal part of frame or good ground area (make sure it stays grounded).

Next, turn on ignition switch. You should now see the warning lights flash alternately.

Next, hold ABS button down for a long 8 seconds. The bottom ABS light should stay on, and the top light should be off.

Then, release the ABS button. If you have successfully reset the ABS system then both ABS lights will come on. If you have failed to hold button for 8 seconds, or your ground is not good, then the top ABS light will probably stay off.

If you can't get it to re-set (maybe there is another problem) then let us know EXACTLY what the warning lights are doing, & EXACTLY when they start doing what they are doing after you switch the key-on?

• 3 weeks later...

Did your reset. Worked. Lights are off. Thank you ever so much. BTW got out for a 2320 mi test ride today (finally), bike appears to be quite happy with the transplant. Thank you to everyone in the group that offered their insight.