IGNORED

Shoei RF1200

RPG

So far I'm appreciating my new RF1200 (over my RF1100), but wearing sunglasses has been painful with respect to where the temples slide over my ears. The fit there is so tight that after 60-70 miles, the pain starts ramping up.

I contacted Shoei and they said it's not a cheekpad/headliner size issue, but that I needed to remove some material near my ears.

Has anyone made this type of modification?

Thanks, RPG

So far I'm appreciating my new RF1200 (over my RF1100), but wearing sunglasses has been painful with respect to where the temples slide over my ears. The fit there is so tight that after 60-70 miles, the pain starts ramping up.

I contacted Shoei and they said it's not a cheekpad/headliner size issue, but that I needed to remove some material near my ears.

Has anyone made this type of modification?

Thanks, RPG

Afternoon Rick

Did you buy the helmet online or local? If you bought it local then the dealer has probably had to address this before & should help you in adjusting the fit.

If you bought it on line then you will have to make the fit yourself. I have customized the under-foam on a number of helmets but never worked on a Shoei helmet.

On a few helmets I found the foam was originally assembled in layers so simply removing (peeling off) a foam layer or two in the tight area corrected the problem. On single layer thick foam I have uses a small sanding drum on a Dremel to grind away some foam to allow a more comfortable fit. I even used an electric kitchen carving knife on one helmet's foam.

Removing the foam in the tight area usually isn't a problem, now finding the exact spot that is causing the tight fit CAN be a big problem.

Afternoon D.R. I bought at my local dealer, where I got to try it on. Dumb me didn't think about adding my glasses.

Just so happens I have a Dremel, as I was thinking of that also as a possible solution this morning.

Agreed, I've now spent considerable time trying to determine just WHERE to make the modifications. LOL

For now, I've found if I insert the glasses where the temples ride higher over the ears, it's not as annoying. Love the helmet in all other areas so far FWIW.

Thank You,

Rick

Afternoon D.R. I bought at my local dealer, where I got to try it on. Dumb me didn't think about adding my glasses.

Just so happens I have a Dremel, as I was thinking of that also as a possible solution this morning.

Agreed, I've now spent considerable time trying to determine just WHERE to make the modifications. LOL

For now, I've found if I insert the glasses where the temples ride higher over the ears, it's not as annoying. Love the helmet in all other areas so far FWIW.

Thank You,

Rick

Afternoon Rick

If you are not totally attached to your current sunglasses then you might look into some of the newer shooting glasses as there is some new-style shooting glasses designs that use very thin flat temples that fit flat under over-ear protection so as to not create sound leaks or shooter discomfort. Not sure if you can get the tinting that you want but might be worth looking into anyhow.

Good morning D.R., You read my mind. Last week I contact Dual Eyewear and ordered a pair of their thinner framed glasses. I got them on Friday and although they're a bit thinner around the temples, they still interfere and cause a lot of pressure.

I'm going to address the helmet side of the equation over the weekend, Dremel in hand. :)

Thanks much,

RPG

Joe Frickin' Friday

For adjusting the fit of a helmet, it's also possible to compress the styrofoam with your fingers. I did this on a previous Shoei where the front edge of the styrofoam was digging into my forehead. Tweaking the foam thickness this way has the advantage of not having to peel back the layers of fabric and soft foam.

For adjusting the fit of a helmet, it's also possible to compress the styrofoam with your fingers. I did this on a previous Shoei where the front edge of the styrofoam was digging into my forehead. Tweaking the foam thickness this way has the advantage of not having to peel back the layers of fabric and soft foam.

Thank You Mitch. That's worth a try.

I've done this with previous helmets......I used a serving spoon once, and a wooden dowel rod the other time. I basically pressed them into the foam along where my temples meet the helmet. Worked great both times and left plenty of room to get glasses on/off without discomfort