IGNORED

Lucky me!

Nobrakes

So I ordered a rear tire for my 2017 RT. I ordered the Pirelli Angel ST due to pricing @ $121.00 free delivery. This will be my second ST as the current one has cord exposed on the center of the tire at 6,600 miles. I've had the new tire in my garage on standby all wrapped in plastic. The day has come to install it... i unwrapped it and they mistakenly sent me a Pirelli Angel GT spec “A”!!! I am so happy because I wanted this tire to begin with but love the ST pricing. I called the company to tell them their mistake, they were kind enough to let keep it. Let me tell you, this tire is incredibly stable in hard corners and I'm a fan.! Now just curious to see how many miles I get on this GT. The stock tire my bike came with was Michelin PR4 GT, lasted 8,000 miles. Second tire was the Pirelli Angel ST, lasted 6,500 miles. I've had my RT exactly 1year with 14,700 flawless miles and smiles....

I have a set of Angel GT's waiting for me at Cycle Gear. Will get them on next week. Nothing like the way baby rides with new shoes!

What size are yours? I don't think the A specs were available for my '96 1100RT... something must have changed in the intervening 2 decades :dontknow:

I've got a 160/60-18 on the rear, so... if I remember the nomenclature right, narrower, taller, and one inch bigger rim.

I look forward to hearing how the A's wear, not that it'll ever do me any good :cry:

I'll post in a few thousand miles!😠my friend has an Angel GT on his 1600GT and rides fairly spirited as I do. He has almost 5k on his Angel GT and it's still got a lot of life left. He's hoping for 10k out of it and his 1600GT is heavier than our 1200's. So, I'm hopeful...... good luck with yours.

Thank you. I'm assuming the tires are very similar except for a stronger sidewall for the A spec, so I'm still hopeful to be getting fun but long lasting tires anyway.

Anything that can stand up to a 1600 should do just fine under our (relative) bantamweights.

Still running the Angel st on front. It has 6600 miles on it and I believe I'll see close to 10k on it. I run 40psi in front and rear. Loving this combo so far.

Well the Angel GT “A” front and rear combo lasted almost 4000 miles on my 2018 R1200RT-LC, before both tires where well below wear bars and the front was bald from shoulder to shoulder.

These tires used to last 6-7000 miles on my 2007 R1200RT, but not on the 2018 R12RT. But I love the way the handle.

I have replaced them with a set of Metzler Z-8, as the bike came delivered with those and those lasted me 5,900 miles originally.

Just my experience and my 2.5 cents worth.

I had just put a set of the Angel GT (A-Spec) tires on my '15 RT, and now have over 500 miles on it. All I can say is that I have just found my new favorite tires! :) The tires that this set replaced was the PR4GT, which I also like, but the Angel GT are very much better. The RT is more nimble at low speed, and tracks like the bike is on rails on high-speed sharp curves! I love it!! I hope that I can get close to 10k miles on this set, which would make me a real happy camper.

The PR4GT that I had retired had almost 11k miles, and this is how they looked:

Rear:

147105d1530748824-does-need-retired-dsc_2778.jpg

Front::

147107d1530748824-does-need-retired-dsc_2779.jpg

I think that I could have gotten another 1,000 or so more, but I like to have good threads on my tires! Note that the front had moderate cupping, and the rubber is still a bit above the wear bar.

I have a set of Angel GT's waiting for me at Cycle Gear. Will get them on next week. Nothing like the way baby rides with new shoes!

What size are yours? I don't think the A specs were available for my '96 1100RT... something must have changed in the intervening 2 decades :dontknow:

Hi Puddles. I am a little confused. you are commenting on the Wethead forum, but your profile says you have an 1100. Have I got that wrong?

I had just put a set of the Angel GT (A-Spec) tires on my '15 RT, and now have over 500 miles on it. All I can say is that I have just found my new favorite tires! :) The tires that this set replaced was the PR4GT, which I also like, but the Angel GT are very much better. The RT is more nimble at low speed, and tracks like the bike is on rails on high-speed sharp curves! I love it!! I hope that I can get close to 10k miles on this set, which would make me a real happy camper.

The PR4GT that I had retired had almost 11k miles, and this is how they looked:

Rear:

147105d1530748824-does-need-retired-dsc_2778.jpg

Front::

147107d1530748824-does-need-retired-dsc_2779.jpg

I think that I could have gotten another 1,000 or so more, but I like to have good threads on my tires! Note that the front had moderate cupping, and the rubber is still a bit above the wear bar.

First of all those PR-4's would only be half worn for me, cupping or not. I couldn't care less, just turn the radio up. LOL

If you get 10K+ out of a set of Angel GT, you will be my hero.

The most I ever got was 7,500 miles with the Code"A" version, before cords showed front and rear. And that was on a 2007 R12RT, running lower air pressures, like 32-34 psi on front and 38-40 on the rear.

But Florida roads are real bad on tires.

This is what the front Angel GT "A" looked like after 4,000+ miles.

This tire was abused during the 2018 START event, with lots of low traction situations due to salt, sand and gravel used on the roads for traction during icy roads the week before.

I think that has caused this tire to really wear the edges faster then any other front tire I ever had.

I pushed the rear tire another 750 miles, before the cords appeared and I exchanged it.

The tires them selves are terrific in the handling and traction department, very confident inspiring.

af9w2Hv.jpg

CTx9maD.jpg

DAaaaaang Bernie, are you a track day guy?! I consider myself a spirited rider but, evidently well beneath your level. Most of my area is straight roads. There's a few curves in my area but not enough to do what you've done to those tires! Mine chicken strip well before the edges wear out. Good on ya!

No track days. Maybe a little too much air in the tires. Most of the wear was during START in Blowing Rock, NC. The roads had a lot of debris left from the snow and ice the week before. I think traction control really saved my bacon a few times. There are some videos of some of the rides, nothing to crazy.

Hi Puddles. I am a little confused. you are commenting on the Wethead forum, but your profile says you have an 1100. Have I got that wrong?

I am definitely an oilhead. I thought I was chatting about tires. Have I run afoul of etiquette again?

Edited by Puddles
No track days. Maybe a little too much air in the tires. Most of the wear was during START in Blowing Rock, NC. The roads had a lot of debris left from the snow and ice the week before. I think traction control really saved my bacon a few times. There are some videos of some of the rides, nothing to crazy.

These are from my Angel GT front after chasing Kinsley and Bernie at START 2 years ago. :revit::bike:

front%20tire%202.jpg

front%20tire%201.jpg

RandyShields

Man, you guys are beasts! Back in the day, I let a set of Metzlers get down to that level and had to limp home from the mountains on my 1150 RT. Never again. They get replaced well before where you and Bernie may be comfortable with tread depth.

We shall see how the Angel GT lasts! :)

The cupping of the front PR4GT didn't bother me at all, but I like to change tires in sets, especially if I was changing brand, as was this case. I always run my tires at 40/42 (F/R), which I am sure goes a long way toward minimizing the front tire cupping.

So far, my experience of tires on the RT have been:

Michelin Power 2CT front with PR2 rear on the '07 RT - performance is almost identical to what I am experiencing now with the Angel GT.

Michelin PR3s on the '07 RT - excellent, but not quite as good as the above combo.

Michelin PR4GT on the '14 RT - quite good, but the bike went back to BBMW after about 2k miles.

Metzler Z8 on the present '15 RT - quite good in performance, but not as good as the first combo. Changed out at around 9k miles, with lots of thread remaining. Didn't want to have to get new tires while in the middle of a 4k+ miles tour.

Michelin PR4GT on the present '15 RT, as previously noted, and now the Angel GT, A-Spec. Unless things change drastically on upcoming miles, I think that I will stick with this one!

Bill_Walker

Yep, one downside of riding an R1100 these days is the 18-inch wheels. There's a smaller selection of tires available than for the 17-inchers that have been on nearly every other non-cruiser street bike since the 1150 came out in 2002.

I am definitely an oilhead. I thought I was chatting about tires. Have I run afoul of etiquette again?

Not an etiquette thing. But I can assure you that the feedback you get for tyres related to the Wethead is very different from an Oilhead.

The Wethead really seems to eat tyres and is very sensitive to particular tyres, whereas the Oilhead is very much less so.

So, any input you may make when it is based on Oilhead experience just muddies the already murky world of Wetheads and their use of tyres.

...The Wethead really seems to eat tyres and is very sensitive to particular tyres, whereas the Oilhead is very much less so.

So, any input you may make when it is based on Oilhead experience just muddies the already murky world of Wetheads and their use of tyres.

Agreed, an oilhead doesn't handle the same as a wethead, but in my experience with 5 RTs I haven't found any of the bikes themselves "eat" tires more than another, given a consistent style of riding and tire pressures on similarly paved roads. At 9k miles my wethead's PR4s are still riding great and no sign of being prematurely eaten. I've ridden different wetheads on three tire brands and the ride differences were subtle but some had more miles than others and probably had differing pressures, which were possibly greater factors than brand/tread. My 2c feedback is that I'm not finding the wethead tire world to be particularly murky.

My '16 RT came w/ PR4GT which I used for 2 complete sets. I had Z8's on an F800GT so had a chance to experience those on that bike. I changed to Angel GT on the RT and it took me a good 400 miles to get used to their turn-in characteristics: never could hold lines well and handling became somewhat twitchy compared to the Michelins. Though I finally got used to them I didn't like how they wore, not for total miles, but because of how they wore: 4 distinct planes of wear, like this:

Screen_Shot_2018-05-12_at_6.51.23_AM.jpg

Their overly sensitive turn-in, though I got used to it, may have ultimately gotten worse because of these planes of wear. Pure conjecture!

Anyway, the Angel GT was quiet and I got decent mileage out of them, but I would not use them again because I had trouble holding lines with them. Plus, I had some rear tire slippage with them on a few slower turns taken at spirited speeds, and it was unnerving. In fact, that initial 400m get acquainted break-in was downright unnerving at times!

My current set are Continental RoadAttack 3 GT--this are far and away the best tires I've used from any POV: grip in wet/dry is superb, there is no squirming in grooved pavement which I attribute to their tread design, no slippage ever in harder turns (could be I hit some debris on the Angel GT that caused this, but in the same spot this occurred many moons prior the PR4GT's did the same thing--not the RA3's however!) They are quiet, wear quality is not creating flat planes of wear, though I only have 4300m on them so far. Grip I believe is the best amongst all 4 tires I've used. The RA3's do not use different rubber compounds like the others do--they achieve variable grip by how they heat-treat the tire. I think this was cause them not have discreet wear planes like the Angel GTs show.

Edited by NoelCP
My '16 RT came w/ PR4GT which I used for 2 complete sets. I had Z8's on an F800GT so had a chance to experience those on that bike. I changed to Angel GT on the RT and it took me a good 400 miles to get used to their turn-in characteristics: never could hold lines well and handling became somewhat twitchy compared to the Michelins. Though I finally got used to them I didn't like how they wore, not for total miles, but because of how they wore: 4 distinct planes of wear, like this:

Their overly sensitive turn-in, though I got used to it, may have ultimately gotten worse because of these planes of wear. Pure conjecture!

Anyway, the Angel GT was quiet and I got decent mileage out of them, but I would not use them again because I had trouble holding lines with them. Plus, I had some rear tire slippage with them on a few slower turns taken at spirited speeds, and it was unnerving. In fact, that initial 400m get acquainted break-in was downright unnerving at times!

My current set are Continental RoadAttack 3 GT--this are far and away the best tires I've used from any POV: grip in wet/dry is superb, there is no squirming in grooved pavement which I attribute to their tread design, no slippage ever in harder turns (could be I hit some debris on the Angel GT that caused this, but in the same spot this occurred many moons prior the PR4GT's did the same thing--not the RA3's however!) They are quiet, wear quality is not creating flat planes of wear, though I only have 4300m on them so far. Grip I believe is the best amongst all 4 tires I've used. The RA3's do not use different rubber compounds like the others do--they achieve variable grip by how they heat-treat the tire. I think this was cause them not have discreet wear planes like the Angel GTs show.

Good afternoon NoelCP.

I haven't experienced any of those symptoms with the Angel GT's that you are having. Actually you are describing the stuff that would happen with the Michelin PR4GT tires on my 2007 R1200RT. I never had the Pirelli's slip in wet or dry, dirty or clean, but the Michelins are another story.

I am really glad the Continental RoadAttack 3 GT are working so good, as those are the next tires I would like to try out. But for some reason they are not available in the US or I haven't found a supplier that carries them. Maybe they will be availed by this fall.

Good afternoon NoelCP.

I haven't experienced any of those symptoms with the Angel GT's that you are having. Actually you are describing the stuff that would happen with the Michelin PR4GT tires on my 2007 R1200RT. I never had the Pirelli's slip in wet or dry, dirty or clean, but the Michelins are another story.

I am really glad the Continental RoadAttack 3 GT are working so good, as those are the next tires I would like to try out. But for some reason they are not available in the US or I haven't found a supplier that carries them. Maybe they will be availed by this fall.

Interesting observations. My 2016 RT came with Z8's and I liked them a lot, felt glued to the road, but they were noisy. So I gave the Angel GT's a try. Quieter, but 'light on their feet' which basically matches your description. If the Continentals are quiet and feel solid I will give them a try. Thanks for the feed back.

But for some reason they are not available in the US or I haven't found a supplier that carries them. Maybe they will be availed by this fall.

Hi Bernie, yes they are available in the US I live in California and the local dealer recommended them for me. I see just now they can be purchased at revzilla.com and likely elsewhere.

Thanks for the update. I haven't looked in the last few months as I had a set of Metzler Z-8 sitting on the shelf since March. They are going on the bike now. So I think the Contis will be next.

I have been holding back about "noisy" tires, but I have never experienced one! I am just curious, but you guys who complains of noisy tires, do you use ear-plugs while riding? I do, all the time, and perhaps that's why I have never heard any noise from my tires! :)

I use earplug speakers and never recall a noise problem from tires. Just turn up the radio, that should fix the problem.

I have heard noise from tires on every motorcycle brand, tire brand I have owned. Especially after doing long highway runs, you lean into a turn and hear a hum and after a while the tread looks/feels funny. It's part of the game IMHO and nothing to worry about.